Some thoughts and additional notes from the weekend | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Some thoughts and additional notes from the weekend

Enjoy these updates as well. Apropos of nothing, I like the format. I really could not care any less about long features on these kids where they say nice things about the school, etc. Just a quick bullet point update on a handfull (or more) at a time is the most informative and interesting, IMO. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the info Francis. I've never been big into recruiting, but when it is so easily at our disposable here it is great info to have in the back pocket.

Some of my thoughts on the updates Francis was kind enough to provide:

I like hearing JB cranking up the effort to land Ennis soon. Think Ennis could be a great player for us...a very good ball player who contributes in many ways & is really valuable to a team, but won't necessarily "wow" you with athleticism, and thus, hopefully would stay all 4 years. (But would play well enough to have a real discussion on if he could play in NBA. Ultimately though, lack of ideal height and athleticism may hold him back from NBA, IMO.)

Right now just kinda "eh" about Mike G. & Chinonso Obokah...seem like good kids that may be decent players, but a class of Ennis, Mike G & Obokah only? Seems to lack that "NBA-type potential" player that the elite teams seem to have at least a few of each year. But if 2014 is really that good...I could do a solid class of 4 year players I guess. (3 years in the case of Mike G.) Love that Obokah could help with pursuit of Bryant. By all indications, that kid is legit.

Kinda disappointed to hear the updates on the guys I wanted the most: Rondae Jefferson & Noah Vonleh. I knew it could be tough to pull Jefferson away from the local schools (thought Temple was a legit threat due to his older brother playing there) & I realize there is still alot of recruiting to go with both (especially Vonleh) but still, I love both these kids and don't feel great about our prospects.

Tyler Roberson & Jermaine Lawrence are intriguing to me. Don't know too much about either, but both seem to have nice potential.

Not too upset about the Anya update. For some reason, just not too excited about him. I mean, isn't he just a poor man's DaJuan Coleman? And in just the class behind DC2. I don't think we need him.

Anything new on Rysheed Jordan? Is he a "plan B" to Ennis? What about Stanford Robinson? How about Davon Reed...6-5 guards will get my attention every time. Is shooting guard but can play point too?

In general, my current impressions on 2013 Cuse recruiting prospects are that there is still alot of unknowns. There seem to be quite a few guys in SU's recruiting area & at some point mentioned as on our radar that are ranked in that 30-50 range (Per ESPH rankings: Ishmail Wainwright #27, Rysheed Jordan #34, Tyler Ennis #41 which is criminally low IMO, Davon Reed #43, Stanford Robinson #46, Jermaine Lawrence NR) but I'm not sure any of these guys are clear impact players...although Ennis is close. The one guy in our recruiting area & mentioned as having some level of involvement with Cuse, Rondae Jefferson (currently ranked #38 by ESPN, which is more absurd then Ennis' ranking, IMO), seems to be getting into that "circus" recruiting level. Add to that, the top ranked recruits involved with Cuse, BeeJay Ayna #15 would be a tough get & Tyler Roberson #16 I just haven't heard much about. It all kinda leaves me confused, lol. Thanks for taking my question, I'll hang up now & listen to your answer. Haha.

Anyway, thanks for all the great updates Francis...without which, I couldn't have authored this nonsensical, rambling post. It is much appreciated...especially by all us recruiting junkies!
Haha it's all good my man and I hear where you're coming from with the thoughts for 2013. Like I said 2014 is very deep and strong with those impact players that you talked about that I would be fine with a solid class for 2013. Get the kids who want to come early and then get started early on the big dogs for 2014 to hopefully avoid the long drag em out circuses.

We should know something about Mike G soon. Transfer situations usually don't take long to get settled. If he does come, unless they view him as strictly a 3 which I doubt then I think it knocks the SG's that you mentioned out of the equation.

You should see the stuff on this board's pay side.

I finally learned who shot JFK...
Oswald was set up by the Chicago Mob as payback for the Old Man double crossing the Mob. Daly threw the absolutely crucial Chicago vote, as planned, but Bobby Kennedy went after the Mob never-the-less. Innocent babe, never knew where his bread was buttered. See Joe Bonanos autobiography. No accident that Ruby was a Mob hitman.

According to a report a few days ago, Tyler Ennis was disappointing. What is the scoop on him? Now that we are playing with the big boys we have to think in terms of players that are among the very best, good enough to carry us to a NC.

Francis -- As always awesome stuff, as well as Henny & Coke.

Thanks Guys!

Thanks Francis for all the info, totally agree that other than Ennis we don't need instant impact with the 2013 class with all the talent already on the roster. The 2014 class looks extremely promising but the 2015 class has me extremely excited, Briscoe and Bryant could be the foundation of a blockbuster haul.

2013 is looking like a good class but 2014 appears to be one of the best overall in a long time.

IMHO I think a 2013 class of Ennis, Mike G, and Obokoh is looking very possible. JB wants to close out on Ennis asap, as Jake noted if Mike G wants to come then it's all good, and Obokoh will be an easier get than Anya. The Anya recruitment will most likely drag out and I was told that Tom Crean and his staff were stalking him all weekend. Plus Jeff Goodman noted today that Crean plans to hire an assistant coach formely from Team Takeover, which will only help their cause. The wildcards could be the SF/PF combos such as Tyler Roberson and Jermaine Lawrence. CJ is going to still be around as well as Grant, so the need for that position may not be as important. Also with the 2014 class being so strong, I don't think it would be too smart to take a lot of players in this class. Haven't heard much of a buzz lately with Rondae Jefferson when it comes to SU. Kentucky and Louisville are starting to recruit him now and you also have the in-state schools to contend with. Ishmail Wainright is another person of interest but I believe Roberson/Lawrence would be better options.

When it comes to 2014, it's starting to look like Dakari Johnson is right up there as a must get for the staff. When I watched him play last year, he displayed a variety of impressive moves in the post but struggled with conditioning. I hear he's in much better shape now and was a beast inside the paint over the weekend.

North Carolina has started to make a big push for Noah Vonleh. The UNC staff had a very heavy presence for him out in Vegas this weekend. SU didn't have any reps for him out there but to be fair most of their targets were playing in Minnesota and Pittsburgh.

2015 big man Karl Towns has already become a hot commodity among head coaches. Word is Kentucky could be tough to beat in this one.

Last week Chris McCullough said in an article that UConn was his dream school. Well they have acted upon that and have turned up the heat for him.

Some have asked about Stevie Jr. I haven't seen him play yet but according to what I read from scouts it seems that he is the opposite of his pops. More of a shooter and not the athlete that Stevie Sr was but still considered to be a good prospect in 2015.

When it comes to Isaiah Whitehead. All I can say is that he has shown SU a lot of love but unfortunately for him if the feelings were mutual, I don't think the staff would take 9 months and counting to see him again. Gotta watch these kids to get proper evaluations and SU does a very good job in that department with their main targets.

Last note that I'm not sure most are aware of but a recruiting rule change that I like very much. Is now coaches are allowed to watch recruits scrimmage during visits. So now for example if JB was curious how a player such as BeeJay Anya would fit with the current players and in the zone. He can now watch him play at the Melo Center or wherever on campus and get a better evaluation on the player during the visit.

You just made my morning. I'm like a recruiting junkie that needed his fix. Great delivery!

2013 is looking like a good class but 2014 appears to be one of the best overall in a long time.

IMHO I think a 2013 class of Ennis, Mike G, and Obokoh is looking very possible. JB wants to close out on Ennis asap, as Jake noted if Mike G wants to come then it's all good, and Obokoh will be an easier get than Anya. The Anya recruitment will most likely drag out and I was told that Tom Crean and his staff were stalking him all weekend. Plus Jeff Goodman noted today that Crean plans to hire an assistant coach formely from Team Takeover, which will only help their cause. The wildcards could be the SF/PF combos such as Tyler Roberson and Jermaine Lawrence. CJ is going to still be around as well as Grant, so the need for that position may not be as important. Also with the 2014 class being so strong, I don't think it would be too smart to take a lot of players in this class. Haven't heard much of a buzz lately with Rondae Jefferson when it comes to SU. Kentucky and Louisville are starting to recruit him now and you also have the in-state schools to contend with. Ishmail Wainright is another person of interest but I believe Roberson/Lawrence would be better options.

When it comes to 2014, it's starting to look like Dakari Johnson is right up there as a must get for the staff. When I watched him play last year, he displayed a variety of impressive moves in the post but struggled with conditioning. I hear he's in much better shape now and was a beast inside the paint over the weekend.

North Carolina has started to make a big push for Noah Vonleh. The UNC staff had a very heavy presence for him out in Vegas this weekend. SU didn't have any reps for him out there but to be fair most of their targets were playing in Minnesota and Pittsburgh.

2015 big man Karl Towns has already become a hot commodity among head coaches. Word is Kentucky could be tough to beat in this one.

Last week Chris McCullough said in an article that UConn was his dream school. Well they have acted upon that and have turned up the heat for him.

Some have asked about Stevie Jr. I haven't seen him play yet but according to what I read from scouts it seems that he is the opposite of his pops. More of a shooter and not the athlete that Stevie Sr was but still considered to be a good prospect in 2015.

When it comes to Isaiah Whitehead. All I can say is that he has shown SU a lot of love but unfortunately for him if the feelings were mutual, I don't think the staff would take 9 months and counting to see him again. Gotta watch these kids to get proper evaluations and SU does a very good job in that department with their main targets.

Last note that I'm not sure most are aware of but a recruiting rule change that I like very much. Is now coaches are allowed to watch recruits scrimmage during visits. So now for example if JB was curious how a player such as BeeJay Anya would fit with the current players and in the zone. He can now watch him play at the Melo Center or wherever on campus and get a better evaluation on the player during the visit.
Thanks for the info! A couple of questions for you:

You mention D Johnson as a "must get" - why? Seems like SU has a good staggered lineup for F's. That D Johnson would be a great addition, in a luxury type upgrade way. Is it just for SU to get the recognition for competing with the big boys (how quickly people forget about that great DC2 get).

To me "must get" refers to pg. It looks clear the staff at this point has zeroed in on T Ennis. Do you like the choice vs other SU possibilities? How long do you think SU can wait on his decision before persuing/offering to plan B's (first to commit kind of thing)? Looks like SU "must get" a pg - people here are already nervous for the '12-'13 season. Seems like the staff would have to be feeling some pressure to fill the pg.

You mention 2014 but really only mention SU in the mix for Dakari Johnson. You have serious doubts about Vonleh and McCollugh. In a subsequent post you mention Newton, who's he? And is 2014 really as big as 2015? Looks like in '15 SU has a realistic shot at Briscoe, Bryant, and Stevie2. How do you compare '14 vs '15 in terms of potential. Thanks.

According to a report a few days ago, Tyler Ennis was disappointing. What is the scoop on him? Now that we are playing with the big boys we have to think in terms of players that are among the very best, good enough to carry us to a NC.
Ennis played four games this past weekend. He was solid by most accounts and I expect him to play well in the events coming up. JB knows at this point what he's getting in Ennis.

Thanks for the info! A couple of questions for you:

You mention D Johnson as a "must get" - why? Seems like SU has a good staggered lineup for F's. That D Johnson would be a great addition, in a luxury type upgrade way. Is it just for SU to get the recognition for competing with the big boys (how quickly people forget about that great DC2 get).

To me "must get" refers to pg. It looks clear the staff at this point has zeroed in on T Ennis. Do you like the choice vs other SU possibilities? How long do you think SU can wait on his decision before persuing/offering to plan B's (first to commit kind of thing)? Looks like SU "must get" a pg - people here are already nervous for the '12-'13 season. Seems like the staff would have to be feeling some pressure to fill the pg.

You mention 2014 but really only mention SU in the mix for Dakari Johnson. You have serious doubts about Vonleh and McCollugh. In a subsequent post you mention Newton, who's he? And is 2014 really as big as 2015? Looks like in '15 SU has a realistic shot at Briscoe, Bryant, and Stevie2. How do you compare '14 vs '15 in terms of potential. Thanks.
Obviously Ennis is a "must get" which why JB is all in on it right now. They won't rush the kid to make a decision if he isn't ready but they'll do their due diligence on other options.

Dakari is a "must get" because he's a big big young man who the staff has targeted very hard hard for over a year and counting. BMK will gone and you can't be so sure that DC2 will be around that long. Dakari is high on SU, the comp will most likely come from Kentucky and I'll get to that some other time.

It's not that I'm down on Vonleh and McCullough. I can only talk about the current situations, and the fact is Vonleh is sort of mystery. Is he gonna be 2013 or 14? Plus UNC is now seriously involve. SU didn't watch him this past weekend so obviously I wouldn't have anything new on at this time. McCullough is another situation that we have to see play out because it's going to be a tough battle as well. The staff has a long target list for 2014, interest and proper evaluations will continue and we'll definitely land some good players when all said n done. It's early so just have patience.

The kid you asked about is JaQuan Newton, combo guard from Scoop n Ricky's old school in Philly.

2014 vs 2015 hmmmm. 2015 is still so far away and to be honest I'm more familiar with 2013/2014 currently. I haven't seen a lot of 2015 prospects yet, once I do hopefully when I get the time then I'll have a good answer for you. Briscoe is a player, and I like Karl Towns. Can't wait to see Thomas Bryant, Stevie Jr, and the rest of the class.

Francis, I continue to be amazed at your ability to get recruiting scoops and first hand observations of these kids. How are you able to get to all these events? I assume you pick up some info from your "sources" at these events, but you also manage to get to a lot of tournaments, etc.

After thinking about it, a 2013 class of Ennis, Gbinije, and Obokoh would be a nice program sustaining class. All solid guys that can contribute more and more each year and be nice fixtures in the program. Also a 2 year talent infusion of:

PG- Ennis
SG - Cooney/Gbinije
SF - Gbinije/Grant
PF - Grant/Obokoh
C - Coleman/Obokoh

Would be pretty good IMHO. Then have some of these guys as seasoned experienced veterans when the potential 2014-2015 big time prospects come in could form a real nice squad.

Great stuff Francis thanks

More info on Tyler? Any stats for the 4 games? Strengths and weaknesses? Comparisons? 'Solid', does that mean somewhere between adequate and dynamic? If we are shooting for the brass ring is 'solid' good enough?

More info on Tyler? Any stats for the 4 games? Strengths and weaknesses? Comparisons? 'Solid', does that mean somewhere between adequate and dynamic? If we are shooting for the brass ring is 'solid' good enough?

I think Francis has provided more than enough on Ennis man, sheesh.

A few things:

1 - First and foremost: as always, these updates are awesome Francis. Thank you so much for going out of your way to provide them.

2 - I always thought it was "Henry and Coke". And I've been lurking a long time. I feel like a dumbass especially given how much I like to drink.

3 - I think you can hear that fat kid's arms making slapping noises in Albany's signature. That's some good stuff.

Thanks again!

http://syracusefan.com/threads/briscoe-ennis.23972/
All you need to know about both in a couple of games that they played last month.

http://cusebballrecruiting.blogspot.com/2012/04/spring-open-evaluation-period-20-22.html
Stats on Ennis and other SU targets if you missed the coverage from the weekend.

After thinking about it, a 2013 class of Ennis, Gbinije, and Obokoh would be a nice program sustaining class. All solid guys that can contribute more and more each year and be nice fixtures in the program. Also a 2 year talent infusion of:

PG- Ennis
SG - Cooney/Gbinije
SF - Gbinije/Grant
PF - Grant/Obokoh
C - Coleman/Obokoh

Would be pretty good IMHO. Then have some of these guys as seasoned experienced veterans when the potential 2014-2015 big time prospects come in could form a real nice squad.

Great stuff Francis thanks
Exactly. If they want to add another SG or SF/PF then that's fine, but with the lineup you presented the staff would have instant playing time points to sell to heavy hitters like Vonleh, McCullough, Aaron, both Johnson's etc etc.

Francis thanks for the info, I really enjoy your reports.
I have seen Ennis play several times this past hs season and he is a terrific PG. While his athleticism is only good and not off the charts great, he has great court vision, a high basketball IQ, a silky smooth handle and great passing skills. He runs the show and gets people the ball at the right time in the right places. He can get to the rim when needed and has a nice perimeter shooting game. I agree he is a must get for SU and is much better than any other options in the '13 class.

My question for you regards Vonleh. Telep in his blog back in December reported that Vonleh was saying his two dream schools were SU and UNC. Per Telep:

Like most young hoop stars, Vonleh has a dream school, but in his case, he has a pair of them: Syracuse and North Carolina.

“Syracuse has real long guys and I feel like I'd fit into their defense,” Vonleh said of the Orange. “North Carolina, I like the way they get up and down the floor and their coach said I remind him of Harrison Barnes.”

Great to hear. If SU is to compete with UNC and Duke for titles in the ACC and not just settle into being the "3rd place team" we are going to have to win our share of recruiting battles with them for elite players. Vonleh is universally considered a top 5 player in the '14 class and may move up. I assume UK may come after him too. Does SU have a real legitimate shot at landing him? In your opinion can SU capture elite kids when up against UNC and Duke? I know each case is unique, but in general. It seems JB does a great job of getting mostly the kids in the 30-70 ranking range and fitting them into his system and creating very good but not elite teams. Our recruiting has picked up of late and I'm sure JB's involvement with the Olympic team has enhanced his stature and contributed to that. If SU is going to be an ACC heavyweight we need to get Vonleh or Dakari Johnson (who the staff has been recruiting for almost 2 years already) and then Briscoe in '15 who will almost certainly be a top 5 in that class. Can we do it? From what you you pick up informally do recruits consider SU an elite destination and on the level of a UNC or Duke (UK is another matter entirely) and not just a consolation choice? I'll cut this long post here. Thanks again.

Francis, I continue to be amazed at your ability to get recruiting scoops and first hand observations of these kids. How are you able to get to all these events? I assume you pick up some info from your "sources" at these events, but you also manage to get to a lot of tournaments, etc.
When I was in NYC full-time I would get to go to a lot of events. Now living in Florida not so much since it's football city USA round here. Still have several good contacts that keep me in the loop of things and I've been fortunate enough to get full games of the action from some of these events. I love watching the full games because I'm able to take my time and really focus on a players strength n weakness. I try not to go too crazy with youtube highlight cut-ups. Goodluck Okonoboh is a prime example of that imho. His youtube highlights looks good, but I watched him n Noel three times this past year and I'm sorry to say that I haven't been impressed. I'm still curious to watch him without Noel.

Stephen Thompson Jr PG/SG-The son of the former Orangemen burst on to the scene Friday night impressed national scouts such as Dave Telep among others.

Nice.

Francis thanks for the info, I really enjoy your reports.
I have seen Ennis play several times this past hs season and he is a terrific PG. While his athleticism is only good and not off the charts great, he has great court vision, a high basketball IQ, a silky smooth handle and great passing skills. He runs the show and gets people the ball at the right time in the right places. He can get to the rim when needed and has a nice perimeter shooting game. I agree he is a must get for SU and is much better than any other options in the '13 class.

My question for you regards Vonleh. Telep in his blog back in December reported that Vonleh was saying his two dream schools were SU and UNC. Per Telep:

Like most young hoop stars, Vonleh has a dream school, but in his case, he has a pair of them: Syracuse and North Carolina.

“Syracuse has real long guys and I feel like I'd fit into their defense,” Vonleh said of the Orange. “North Carolina, I like the way they get up and down the floor and their coach said I remind him of Harrison Barnes.”

Great to hear. If SU is to compete with UNC and Duke for titles in the ACC and not just settle into being the "3rd place team" we are going to have to win our share of recruiting battles with them for elite players. Vonleh is universally considered a top 5 player in the '14 class and may move up. I assume UK may come after him too. Does SU have a real legitimate shot at landing him? In your opinion can SU capture elite kids when up against UNC and Duke? I know each case is unique, but in general. It seems JB does a great job of getting mostly the kids in the 30-70 ranking range and fitting them into his system and creating very good but not elite teams. Our recruiting has picked up of late and I'm sure JB's involvement with the Olympic team has enhanced his stature and contributed to that. If SU is going to be an ACC heavyweight we need to get Vonleh or Dakari Johnson (who the staff has been recruiting for almost 2 years already) and then Briscoe in '15 who will almost certainly be a top 5 in that class. Can we do it? From what you you pick up informally do recruits consider SU an elite destination and on the level of a UNC or Duke (UK is another matter entirely) and not just a consolation choice? I'll cut this long post here. Thanks again.
Duke and UNC are interesting cases. Unlike Kentucky neither are running a one n done factory. Duke is more picky with who they recruit, as coach K isn't big on the run n jump athletic types and prefers high IQ, fundamentally sound players. UNC as you expect sells themselves and MJ. At the end of the day the ultimate goal for these kids is the NBA. They want to go to a place where playing time is going to be available asap. SU plays an exciting brand of b-ball and Melo's name still holds a lot of weight that we'll be in the picture with most of the top prospects. Hop and Red are doing a great job and I think it's a goood look when JB hits the road and is active in the recruitment instead of letting the assistants do all the grinding. Some recruits will be fair one, while others will be fixed. It's on the staff to recognize when to bow out or go all in. Yes Marsh has rubbed off on me with the "all in" :)

Yes Marsh has rubbed off on me with the "all in" :)[/quote]
I don't know Marsh except for following him on the board, but I think you might want to be careful about letting too much of him rub off on you. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom