Someone convince me that Silent G deserves the backup 3 minutes over Roberson | Syracusefan.com

Someone convince me that Silent G deserves the backup 3 minutes over Roberson

Czar

All Conference
Especially with Grant hurt, can someone explain to me what Gbinijie does to get preference for backup forward minutes over Roberson?

That's not the point. He needs minutes as the starting 2 guard. I think this is quite clear.

roberson certainly has done very little lately to distinguish himself in his very limited minutes. which most probably is a direct result of having played only very limited minutes. jb never really gave the frosh any real game time experience to develop into an effective option off the bench.

I'd have to think it would get Silent in more of a groove playing X amount of more minutes as well. If he plays 3-6 more minutes he will get more comfortable and hopefully relax and make some plays. He was close and a lot of shots were there but just didn't go in, love one of the drives he had but that dunk...hmmmm...that was an interesting choice.

Especially with Grant hurt, can someone explain to me what Gbinijie does to get preference for backup forward minutes over Roberson?

I'd bet the house it has everything to do with defense and shot selection.

I think JB is just trying to have more than one outside shooter on the floor at the same time. And I'm not including CJ in that because I'm not sure JB would rely on him for extending the defense. It would be nice to get both Trevor and Mike going and hitting at the same time.

And G is actually very competent rebounding. He missed a rotation to the corner last night because he forgot he wasn't the guard for a half second and that hurt, but he's not terrible at playing one of the forward spots.

Given the choice between a player who will make mistakes but also great plays and a player who makes few mistakes but fewer great plays, Boeheim will always go with the guy who makes fewer mistakes. It's a separate question why Roberson looks like he has PTSD every time he goes on the court at this point, but given where we are I'm not at all surprised he is going with Gbinije.

Well G plays the 1,2, and 3. Good size and length, good defender, good rebounder for the positions. Spreads the floor, and can make good plays for teammates. Shoots 41% from 3. Just needs to knock down them 2pters. It also seems he's the first guy back on transition defense, and usually doesn't give up any easy buckets. He either strips them, blocks them, or makes them earn it at the line.

Can anybody give me one good reason why Roberson should be playing minutes right now? I'm assuming that's what this post was geared towards but I'm wondering why it's being pushed so hard. They guy has done literally nothing with the court time he's had.

I'm not crapping on him and he'll be fine down the road, hut he's just not ready right now.

Can anybody give me one good reason why Roberson should be playing minutes right now? I'm assuming that's what this post was geared towards but I'm wondering why it's being pushed so hard. They guy has done literally nothing with the court time he's had.

I'm not crapping on him and he'll be fine down the road, hut he's just not ready right now.
Hard to come to that conclusion with the 2-3 minutes he gets. There are stretches when Cj is useless for 5-10 minutes.

Roberson could probably contribute with added confidence. Hes a good rebounder too.

Let's see Cooney doesn't deserve the time he's getting, G doesn't deserve to play ahead of Roberson, Rak is falling apart, Keita makes it 4 on 5, Fair is a black hole, and Ennis doesn't penetrate enough, score enough, or get enough assists.

For a 26-2 team this team is a mess.

It's a wonder they've won a game all year.

Hard to come to that conclusion with the 2-3 minutes he gets. There are stretches when Cj is useless for 5-10 minutes.

Roberson could probably contribute with added confidence. Hes a good rebounder too.
Just because you saw him do it in a few highlight films doesn't mean he's ready now. Gbinije is a solid player who knows his role and isn't afraid every time he gets out there and doesn't take awful shots.

We have a history of guys previously looking horrible in 1-2 minutes/game looking completely different when JB is forced to give them real minutes, Nichols his sophomore year being one. Would Roberson be one of these guys? I don't know, and none of us ever will because he won't get minutes until next year.

I'm
Just because you saw him do it in a few highlight films doesn't mean he's ready now. Gbinije is a solid player who knows his role and isn't afraid every time he gets out there and doesn't take awful shots.
I'm not bagging on G. I think he should play. All I am saying is if tyler had more opportunity earlier he could be a contributor right now. You can tell hes wired tight out there. If your living in fear of making mistakes... you'll make some.

Roberson looks scared 90% of the time out there. Gbinije doesn't. That's it.

If our games all are coming down to one possession, you can't play the guy that looks and plays scared. Gbinije has certainly made mistakes, but he also brings positives to the table. If Roberson can consistently bring positives to the table, he'll play.

Also, JB seems to be thinking Roberson is missing something in practice. So aside from the weakness were all seeing, he's also falling short behind closed doors. Not a great way to bust into JBs lineup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom