Something has to be done to increase offense in CBB... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Something has to be done to increase offense in CBB...

i would also -gasp- like to see the international version of the paint -

I personally don't mind the decrease in score, as long as the teams are playing solid, fundamental ball. Horrible officiating has taken it's toll on the game and a reduced shot clock would increase the number of possession and thus should increase scoring. But truly the philosophy of the game has changed. Teams, in general, are far better and more disciplined on defense, forcing offenses to be patient and wait for opportunities. Kids coming up these days are much more specialized to fit limited roles. It used to be a team would have 4 guys on the floor that could handle and create. Now most teams have 2, maybe 3 at the most.

But, as long as we are throwing out ideas to increase offense I have a rather radical idea, one that would never be implemented but fun to consider. What if, when on defense, a team was required to keep one player in their front court? Basically creating a permanent 5 on 4 offensive advantage plus immediate transition on any turnovers. Scores would double overnight!

As it is though, I'd be fine with a reduced shot clock. 30 seconds sounds about right.

Make guys play defense with their legs. When did the arm bar become a legal defensive move on the perimeter?

This. Bilas said on Gameday the other day that he has witnessed coaches teaching to bump people with their chests because it won't get called. Chest bumping cutters, post players, in addition to the arm bars.

Todays players would be swatting Karim Abdul Jabbar's hook shots routinely if he was playing right now. 40 years ago there was noone around who could block that shot. And the Yao Mings who have the size to do it are (obviously) not athletic or durable enough to play modern basketball see him and Oden for proof.

This is ridiculous. He is one of a handful of players you can argue are the best basketball player the world has ever seen.

3x college POY
3x college champion
3x tourney MOP

6x NBA MVP
6x NBA champion
2x Finals MVP
10x NBA first team
5x NBA second team
19x all star

He is a legit 7'2" and athletic for that size. He also was doing yoga and staying in shape as a priority before it was a trend.

There is no one, and I repeat no one, right now in college or the NBA that could block the sky hook from KAJ in his playing days. ZERO.

Embrace it and laugh at Bilas. Or watch NBA where they don't try to play D

You must not watch any NBA. Guys have to be able to play defense or be an offensive superstar (see Nash, Steve).

Yeah, definitely LOL @ them not playing defense in the NBA.

Kareem is probably even taller than 7-2, no? Isn't there a story that says he didn't get measured after age 20 or something? Kareem excelled in the nba for nearly 20 years; I really doubt the game has improved that much since he left.

Seriously, how do you block a sky hook from a guy who is 7-2?

Yeah, definitely LOL @ them not playing defense in the NBA.

Kareem is probably even taller than 7-2, no? Isn't there a story that says he didn't get measured after age 20 or something? Kareem excelled in the nba for nearly 20 years; I really doubt the game has improved that much since he left.

Seriously, how do you block a sky hook from a guy who is 7-2?

Yes, I think he would be NBA listed, nowadays, at 7'4" and flat footed at a hair under 7'3".

Cutters getting mauled is problem number one.

Watch any game and on almost half the possessions defenders literally grab and hold the jerseys of cutting players. This is almost never called and IMO should be calle an intentional foul.

The 3pt line needs to move back until the % drops enough to restore the mid-range game to relevance. I really don't understand why they only moved it back a few inches - as if that was going to do anything. NBA line and keep it there. Make them earn the extra point.

A lot of people suggest rule changes.

The rules aren't the problem. Enforcement is the problem. Basketball has good rules that worked for years and years. When the officials quit doing their job, the game went to s---.

Enforce the rulebook strictly and let the players adapt.

I agree with this. The biggest problem is that refs today are routinely letting hand checks, holds, bumps and outright shoves from defenders that never used to be allowed.

I think the rules are fine...this is all on the refs. They need to be held accountable for their actions. If they don't want to do their job and call the game they way it should be called, get others that will.

The evil troika of Brad Stevens, Jaime Dixon and Jim Burr have ruined a beautiful game.

You said it better than I did.

But, yeah, that's the long and short of it.

Cutting down on the ridiculous hand-checking that goes uncalled on the perimeter would make the game a lot easier to watch.

CBB is becoming like pickup basketball at the YMCA. A group of younger, more talented kids come in and run against a bunch of crafty old guys, a few years their senior... the old guys beat up the young guys and frustrate them into brawl ball and all they really want to do is just run and play basketball as intended.

CBB has become this. Pitt playing the role of the dirty old men and SU playing the role of the younger, talented generation.

CBB has become this. Pitt playing the role of the dirty old men and SU playing the role of the younger, talented generation.
curiously, according to Gasaway's numbers out today, in conference games Pitt is currently playing at the 2nd fastest pace in the conference, while Syracuse is the 4th slowest

gasaway212.jpg

About a week ago, Bilas during a game telecast was complaining about how college officiating has let too many games devolve into scrums, and how something has to change because the refs are allowing a style of play in many games that significantly advantages physical teams that dare officials to call fouls every play, and when that invariably doesn't happen, they get away with a ton.

Also in his column last week, Seth Davis made a similar point, and hinted at pending rule changes that could be implemented as soon as this offseason to reemphasize scoring and put a stop to thug ball.

One can only hope.
That would be great. Anything that effects Pitt negatively works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom