Class of 2014 - Sony Michel | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Sony Michel

Ottoble

Starter
Many of the big boys are in on him already but this 5* RB goes to American heritage hs in plantation Fla same as RiShard Anderson did. Maybe we try to get him to take an unofficial in the spring before RiShard leaves campus. We've been in on Miramar/Plantation area guys for awhile and now we have a FLA recruiter there should be a relationship here.

An early big comit would hype this class up and open doors to other guys.

What I like about George McDonald hire:

Brings excitement to the recruiting process.

What I don't like about the excitement George McDonald brings to the recruiting process:

People letting that excitement convince them that things that aren't going to happen, are going to happen.

If McDonald brings in a single four star from Florida this year it will be a terrific achievement.

What I don't like about the excitement George McDonald brings to the recruiting process:

People letting that excitement convince them that things that aren't going to happen, are going to happen.

If McDonald brings in a single four star from Florida this year it will be a terrific achievement.

That attitude is the type of attitude that leads to underachieving. Getting the best recruits to believe in SU starts with the coaches and fans believing SU is a great place to land and not a "going to shock the world" destination.

That attitude is the type of attitude that leads to underachieving. Getting the best recruits to believe in SU starts with the coaches and fans believing SU is a great place to land and not a "going to shock the world" destination.

Please. That attitude is in touch with reality. Number of 5 star players from Florida that have EVER signed with Syracuse: Zero and counting. To set up a scenario in your mind where that's going to change overnight is, at the very least, Pollyana-esque.

I think McDonald is going to sign some great Florida prospects, and I think they'll be mostly three star guys. That's more a measure of how players are rated by the media sites than any sense of Syracuse not targeting great players.

Sorry, a 5 star from Florida with the entire SEC in his offer list is a "shock the world" if he commits to Syracuse.

Just like Syracuse would be shocked if they lost a 5 star Northeastern basketball recruit to Central Florida.

Sorry, a 5 star from Florida with the entire SEC in his offer list is a "shock the world" if he commits to Syracuse.

Just like Syracuse would be shocked if they lost a 5 star Northeastern basketball recruit to Central Florida.
Soy is just the kind of kid thats needed to really jack up the program and solidify George as the great recruiter that is his reputation.The actual season that is displayed this year will have a huge factor in bringing in these kind of players.Scott and staff must show the results on the field. Considering whats coming back and into the program I like his chances. Once the QB quesion is setlled on this team is going to surprisethe world outside and inside Syracuse.:eek:

There are many on this board who confuse "improbable" with "impossible." Being an optimist means, however unlikely, that it's possible.

Now - onto this analogy. Yes, if we lost a NY kid to Central Florida, it would be shock the world. But what if Central Florida went to the Final Four? What if they have a great coach, who players would run through a wall for? What if they had their profile raised by winning a few huge games (Boise?)? Does that raise the odds? Yes.

Improbable, but not Impossible.

There are many on this board who confuse "improbable" with "impossible." Being an optimist means, however unlikely, that it's possible.

Now - onto this analogy. Yes, if we lost a NY kid to Central Florida, it would be shock the world. But what if Central Florida went to the Final Four? What if they have a great coach, who players would run through a wall for? What if they had their profile raised by winning a few huge games (Boise?)? Does that raise the odds? Yes.

Improbable, but not Impossible.

Has Syracuse gone to a BCS game? Has Syracuse had their profile raised enough?

Since this is a 2014 kid, I am referring to just what Syracuse football brand is now. If you want to talk about a 5 star in 2017, then none of us know if Syracuse has an opportunity.

But, Syracuse landing a 2014 5 star who is looking to make a quick decision? Keep dreaming.

you must be young then,because syracuse signed 3 running backs in one year out of florida,terry richardson,roy willis and kirby dar dar which where considered the 3 best backs in that state that year.

florida gators were dumbfounded over that,plus you can throw in rod gadson another big time national recruit

Has Syracuse gone to a BCS game? Has Syracuse had their profile raised enough?

Since this is a 2014 kid, I am referring to just what Syracuse football brand is now. If you want to talk about a 5 star in 2017, then none of us know if Syracuse has an opportunity.

But, Syracuse landing a 2014 5 star who is looking to make a quick decision? Keep dreaming.

My fault. Thought you were talking about "ever." In which case - based on past history, you'd be wrong. Anything can happen beyond 2014.

Just for next year - yeah, I'd be surprised. But we have more of a shot with McDonald than without. That's for sure.

C'Mon Man! I Prefaced my remarks with "Many of the big boys are in on him already but..." I was reviewing some of the top RB Prospects and this is one where we have a relationship with the HS. Chill out, I understand it is a Steep Longshot but we have two Seniors at RB this year, That opening and the playing time is going to be attractive to some 2014 RBs and we need one (or two) quality backs in this next class. I agree with several posters that our success on the field this year will be the key to next years recruiting class as it will or won't validate the coaching staff's ability to build a winner. Just pointing out a connection.

C'Mon Man! I Prefaced my remarks with "Many of the big boys are in on him already but..." I was reviewing some of the top RB Prospects and this is one where we have a relationship with the HS. Chill out, I understand it is a Steep Longshot but we have two Seniors at RB this year, That opening and the playing time is going to be attractive to some 2014 RBs and we need one (or two) quality backs in this next class. I agree with several posters that our success on the field this year will be the key to next years recruiting class as it will or won't validate the coaching staff's ability to build a winner. Just pointing out a connection.

Fair enough. I'm personally hoping that the factors you point out helps us land a more natural target: Curtis Samuel.

Florida had 46 four star kids this past cycle.

Vanderbilt, Maryland, Miss State, UCLA and South Florida are the only schools I would consider not a big boy that signed a FL four star kid.

Might be some debate on these three schools but Arkansas signed 2, Clemson signed 2 and South Carolina 1

The rest were Alabama, Florida, FSU, ND, Miami, Ohio State, LSU, USC, Auburn, Georgia - that's it.

Florida had 5 five star kids. They went to:

Florida,
Miss State
Florida State
Notre Dame
USC

you must be young then,because syracuse signed 3 running backs in one year out of florida,terry richardson,roy willis and kirby dar dar which where considered the 3 best backs in that state that year.

florida gators were dumbfounded over that,plus you can throw in rod gadson another big time national recruit

Ah, yes, the tried and true old-timey anecdotal rebuttal! Setting aside your assumption of my age, you're point is not quite accurate. Richardson was a terrific recruit, the equivalent of a four-star, but William McCray was the top rated back in Florida that year and Willis and Dar Dar were good, but not in that class. The suggestion we got the three best backs in Florida in any year is ludicrous. We got three of the top ten, though, and by any measure, that was a TERRIFIC haul.

Gadson was a good recruit, rated one of the top 25 in the state by SuperPrep, but I'm not sure what your point is mentioning him. He wasn't higher rated than Antwaune Ponds or Jim Turner.

My point was not that we've never signed four-star caliber players from Florida. We have. WHEN WE WERE HAVING TEN WIN SEASONS AND GOING TO MAJOR BOWLS. Not to mention before the advent of the recruiting mega sites that have heightened recruiting's exposure to the the level of the absurd.

What McDonald is facing is an entirely different scenario, and I STILL think he can snag a four-star. I just think that expectations should be tempered when they start including pie-in-the-sky five-star Florida prospects, the likes of which we have never seen come to Syracuse before.

Now, I'll happily get off your lawn before you start calling me a young whippersnapper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom