Sorry to see Cowherd go? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry to see Cowherd go?

Will definitely miss him. I enjoyed his show. His take here was dumb, but not mean spirited.

PC crowd always overreacts.

His take here wasn't mean spirited, agreed. It was just verbal diarrhea.

His takes vs John Wall are/were mean spirited and unnecessarily personal.

docsu said:
It can only help. If ESPN did nothing, I doubt we'd be talking about it.

Yeah, so was this a move engineered by Cowherd to help his new show?

Worked at ESPN for 5 years, so I figured I'd share my perspective. Cowherd is actually a very decent guy in real life. Believe me, before I started working there, I agreed w/ most of you about the way he comes off. But a lot of it is honestly just an act. They do it mostly for ratings. I can tell you there are some guys in Bristol who are very cold to the PAs, interns, etc. Cowherd was not one of them. Always nice to everyone.

As far as the Cuse thing goes, he actually does like Cuse (as a basketball program). He just hates on the city the same way he hates on ANY northeast / cold weather city. He openly admits he's a west coast guy (which is part of the reason why he's leaving for Fox). He's also a HUGE JB fan, FYI.

I was more sorry to see Gottlieb go. At least he knew what he talking about with college hoops.

jekelish said:
He was talking about whether or not baseball is a complex sport, and said, essentially, "how complicated can it be if a third of the players are from the Dominican Republic?" He's a tool. He's always had an irrational hatred for the city of Syracuse (seriously, he goes out of his way to rag on the city), so good riddance.

Convenient argument. You have every right your opinion, but be balanced. He was the first person on the day of to defend JB during the Bernie stuff and consistently called out the absolute shoddy journalism.

That's far more important than ragging on Syracuse if that's what you want to call it.

44cuse

docsu said:
lol literally the opposite.

Exactly. Igor's post shows he never listened to him once.

44cuse

heresjohnny88 said:
Worked at ESPN for 5 years, so I figured I'd share my perspective. Cowherd is actually a very decent guy in real life. Believe me, before I started working there, I agreed w/ most of you about the way he comes off. But a lot of it is honestly just an act. They do it mostly for ratings. I can tell you there are some guys in Bristol who are very cold to the PAs, interns, etc. Cowherd was not one of them. Always nice to everyone. As far as the Cuse thing goes, he actually does like Cuse (as a basketball program). He just hates on the city the same way he hates on ANY northeast / cold weather city. He openly admits he's a west coast guy (which is part of the reason why he's leaving for Fox). He's also a HUGE JB fan, FYI.

Keep your rational facts to yourself. None of that here. ;)

He was also the first to defend JB on the Bernie issue.

44cuse

I was more sorry to see Gottlieb go. At least he knew what he talking about with college hoops.

There was ONE guy on ESPN radio that knew anything about hoops and gave it any attention outside of March and he's gone. Rusillo might, I'm not sure.

Keep your rational facts to yourself. None of that here. ;)

He was also the first to defend JB on the Bernie issue.

44cuse

Ha! And that's actually an excellent point. Most ESPNers rushed to judgement on Cuse/JB as related to Bernie. Not Cowherd. He constantly said he would wait until all the facts came out. Now, some of this was probably due to the fact that JB was as a friend of the show (and most likely a friend in general) and Colin didn't want to risk poisoning that relationship.

His take here wasn't mean spirited, agreed. It was just verbal diarrhea.

His takes vs John Wall are/were mean spirited and unnecessarily personal.
^This
The man has it out for John Wall and it has become a personal vendetta for him. I lost all respect for him on that topic alone. Personally I won't miss him one bit

Better than M and M, but way below RR and Lebatard.

For the most part I enjoy listening to Lebatard...I do notice that race seems to creep into his topics more times than not...also, when John Amaechi comes on I switch to other stations as he tends to get on his soap box a lot...A little of that stuff is fine when it applies to a sport topic/issue, but I am tuned to a sports station to listen to sports discussions and he tends to go overboard...If I wanted to listen about social topics, I would tune into a different station...

Ha! And that's actually an excellent point. Most ESPNers rushed to judgement on Cuse/JB as related to Bernie. Not Cowherd. He constantly said he would wait until all the facts came out. Now, some of this was probably due to the fact that JB was as a friend of the show (and most likely a friend in general) and Colin didn't want to risk poisoning that relationship.

Potentially that motivation was there. But given the way Cowherd has treated other issues, he just isn't a rush to judgement guy. People don't like him here because he said he didn't like the city of Syracuse and questioned why big events would be played here. Not unreasonable...I happen to disagree...the Dome is as good a place to play College Basketball as anywhere else. But he's not wrong in his opinion, and whether we like it or not, many people share that opinion. I consider them uninformed, but that's just me.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom