Southerland | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland

Players do tend to, you know, improve during the summer.

By that logic, Z Sims (who couldn't dribble, create his own shot, rebound, pass, or even run) wouldn't have gotten any court time and we'd have seen David Patrick running the offense.
Z could always handle the rock. He was a playground legend.

I really don't like Southerland threads. They are the same as Mookie threads. Mookie Light, if you will.

He will not start and may play sparingly. If CJ has mastered his three point shot, then JS won't see the court in any meaningful time. Mookie is in worse shape.

Let's face it, beyond early season games, these two are bench food...barring any injuries of course. And our luck in that department hasn't been to good over the years. So, maybe they will see the court (God forbid, poo poo, bite my tongue, etc, etc).

A. Southerland and Mookie don't belong in the same sentence.
B. CJ didn't have a three point shot last season, I don't think he'll ever have one, never mind master one. I'm fine with long two's all day for CJ.
C. If he's not going to play, who's the back up? Kris won't be playing 4o mins, and neither will CJ. Rak is a true freshman and no one has any idea what they'll get from him.
D. South will make a jump from last year to this year. Kid has a bigtime work ethic and he'll be ready to go this year. Don't sleep on him.

A. Southerland and Mookie don't belong in the same sentence.
B. CJ didn't have a three point shot last season, I don't think he'll ever have one, never mind master one. I'm fine with long two's all day for CJ.
C. If he's not going to play, who's the back up? Kris won't be playing 4o mins, and neither will CJ. Rak is a true freshman and no one has any idea what they'll get from him.
D. South will make a jump from last year to this year. Kid has a bigtime work ethic and he'll be ready to go this year. Don't sleep on him.
Agree with you on Dirty 100%
People are selling Southerland and regarding him as a stuck-to-the-bench player who will only see garbage time with Mookie and walk-ons.
Dirty has an outside chance to start

CJ didn't have a three point shot last season, I don't think he'll ever have one, never mind master one. I'm fine with long two's all day for CJ.

You will be greatly surprised then.

Dirty has a skill-set that no one else on the team has, he's a really really unique player. If he harnesses his potential, he could be a Wes Johnson-lite type.

Dirty has a skill-set that no one else on the team has, he's a really really unique player. If he harnesses his potential, he could be a Wes Johnson-lite type.

I agree, Knight. I'm not bashing Dirty. I'm trying to be realistic. CJ is a born scorer, and that's what this team needs. Dirty was outplayed by CJ all last season. CJ was a better defender and a better rebounder, at least from what I can remember. CJ has a very nice jump shot and hit a few threes last season. If he can add that shot to his game, there isn't a team that can defend him. He becomes our Jeremy Lamb. The starters will probably shake out as:

Scoop
Triche
KJo
Fab
CJ

with Dion and Keita being the first off the bench.

Then there's the log jam:

Dirty
Christmas
Carter-Williams
Cooney
Mookie

Whichever of those other guys plays the best is going to see the court. If they are all worthy (which could very well happen) I see JB using them each in specific situations and not relying on one or two all the time.

What helps James the most is the fact we are guard heavy. Foul trouble on CJ or KJo will be good for him...but not if he can't rebound or play D.

I agree, Knight. I'm not bashing Dirty. I'm trying to be realistic. CJ is a born scorer, and that's what this team needs. Dirty was outplayed by CJ all last season. CJ was a better defender and a better rebounder, at least from what I can remember. CJ has a very nice jump shot and hit a few threes last season. If he can add that shot to his game, there isn't a team that can defend him. He becomes our Jeremy Lamb. The starters will probably shake out as:

Scoop
Triche
KJo
Fab
CJ

Dirty
Christmas
Carter-Williams
Cooney
Mookie

Whichever of those other guys plays the best is going to see the court. If they are all worthy (which could very well happen) I see JB using them each in specific situations and not relying on one or two all the time.

What helps James the most is the fact we are guard heavy. Foul trouble on CJ or KJo will be good for him...but not if he can't rebound or play D.

Oh I agree about CJ. I think he's going to be our 4 this year.

Dirty has a skill-set that no one else on the team has, he's a really really unique player.

So does Mookie. So did Matt Gorman. What did that get them?

I'm being a bit hyperbolic here, but I think when you start comparing James Southerland -- someone who only saw major minutes last year in any games because of injury -- to a top 5 pick (whether you say lite or not, you're saying they are similar), you're asking for trouble.

So does Mookie. So did Matt Gorman. What did that get them?

I'm being a bit hyperbolic here, but I think when you start comparing James Southerland -- someone who only saw major minutes last year in any games because of injury -- to a top 5 pick (whether you say lite or not, you're saying they are similar), you're asking for trouble.

I'm not saying he's nearly as good, I'm saying he has a similar skill set. Whether or not he utilizes it effectively is on him.

Scoop
Triche
KJo
Fab
CJ

Dirty
Christmas
Carter-Williams
Cooney
Mookie

The thing I don't get that everyone (not just you) is saying is including the guards into who else gets playing time. Guards are going to rotate with guards and forwards with forwards. Just because JB doesn't usually play more than 7.5 doesn't mean South isn't going to get meaningful minutes. Unless he gets unseated by Rak, which I doubt, I can't see him not playing 10-15 a game next year.

Unless he had an unbelievable summer, there's no way South starts, but he will definitely get the backup minutes for CJ and Kris.

The thing I don't get that everyone (not just you) is saying is including the guards into who else gets playing time. Guards are going to rotate with guards and forwards with forwards. Just because JB doesn't usually play more than 7.5 doesn't mean South isn't going to get meaningful minutes. Unless he gets unseated by Rak, which I doubt, I can't see him not playing 10-15 a game next year.

Unless he had an unbelievable summer, there's no way South starts, but he will definitely get the backup minutes for CJ and Kris.

Why are you so doubtful of Rakeem Christmas?

He was a freaking McDonald's All-American. And one of the top players in his class.

Just because you saw a game on ESPNU and then the McD game, you're judging his talents based on this?

Unless I'm missing something, we are losing just Rick Jackson from last year. Meaning we are going to be missing defense and rebounding more than ever before.

It just so happens that Rakeem Christmas is known as a guy that is athletic and can rebound. Not exactly one of Southerland's strong suits.

And in all my years as a Syracuse fan, I cannot remember a McD A-A sitting the bench -- or at least not getting every opportunity to win a significant role with the team as a freshman. Look at Melo -- even with all of the issues that he had last year, he was force-fed minutes.

Why are you so doubtful of Rakeem Christmas?

He was a freaking McDonald's All-American. And one of the top players in his class.

Just because you saw a game on ESPNU and then the McD game, you're judging his talents based on this?

Unless I'm missing something, we are losing just Rick Jackson from last year. Meaning we are going to be missing defense and rebounding more than ever before.

It just so happens that Rakeem Christmas is known as a guy that is athletic and can rebound. Not exactly one of Southerland's strong suits.

And in all my years as a Syracuse fan, I cannot remember a McD A-A sitting the bench -- or at least not getting every opportunity to win a significant role with the team as a freshman. Look at Melo -- even with all of the issues that he had last year, he was force-fed minutes.

I'm not doubtful of Christmas at all. I think he's going to be a great player. I think his offense is very raw, I hope I'm wrong, but i think he'll get some run non-conference and maybe situational in BE play for his rebounding abilities. You just can never tell how a freshman will adjust to the speed of college, i.e. Melo last year.

I just can't believe how much some on this board doubt Southerland. I will admit, I'm a bit biased because I know James personally and he's a great kid and I want to see him succeed, but he has the skill set.

I may not be Southerland's biggest backer on this site, but I sure hope he busts out and has a great last two years. I'd love to see him succeed.

+1
Wes was more of a 2/3 Nichols type though.
James has it in him (atleast at the college level) to be more of a 3-4 if he ever finds the physicality.

I could see a Tim Duncan, Dirk, Kevin Garnett like Jumper if he ever got used to contact and using it to seal off for his jumper. Similar to how Warrick used to shoot his jumper at the college level but doesn't do in the pros anymore. If he ever learned to seal off he could be dynamite. James already had a quick fluent release as a freshmen maybe our tallest player ever to have that.

Finding his inner Kristoff wouldn't be so bad either.

Also CJ did take a few threes as a freshmen I can think of atleast one he hit early in the season.

I don't think Southerland's problem is finding his physicality as much as it is getting his mentality straight. I think he does have the tools if he only has enough confidence in himself to use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom