Speaking of honoring players | Syracusefan.com

Speaking of honoring players

dasher

Living Legend
it is time for the Orange to honor Jimmy Lee and Rudy Hackett. There is much thought by players that played before 1976, that they aren't really included in the Syracuse basketball family. And that isn't right. Lee and Hackett took us to our first final four. they were both terrific and they aren't getting any younger. Honor them together, like we did with Louie and Bouie.

it is time for the Orange to honor Jimmy Lee and Rudy Hackett. There is much thought by players that played before 1976, that they aren't really included in the Syracuse basketball family. And that isn't right. Lee and Hackett took us to our first final four. they were both terrific and they aren't getting any younger. Honor them together, like we did with Louie and Bouie.

Well, not exactly like we did with Louie and Bouie.

Hopefully the administration would be a little more careful in honoring Mssrs. Hackett and Leigh.

1976 FF team was honored at halftime of the GTech game. Lee and Hackett were on that team. Not the same, I know.
Here is the problem with that. The final four team was 1975. We didn't get around to honoring them until 2016. We missed on 2015 when it would have made sense. And that is my point.

Here is the problem with that. The final four team was 1975. We didn't get around to honoring them until 2016. We missed on 2015 when it would have made sense. And that is my point.
I'm agreeing with you, hence the "Not the same, I know". (I fatfingered the year - I was editing when you replied) I'm just saying that they are not all forgotten. I think it's just when you have a history like ours, it's tough to honor everyone.

Other than Derrick Coleman and Sherman Douglas...Hackett-Lee is the best inside/outside combo the Orange ever had.

Col. Bleep said:
Other than Derrick Coleman and Sherman Douglas...Hackett-Lee is the best inside/outside combo the Orange ever had.
we need statues outside the Melo center honoring our greats. Bing, Pearl, Sherm, DC, Melo and JB...imo. ShermDC obviously needs to be in the form of an oop!

how about a massive mural somewhere, perhaps an interior or exterior wall of the "new" dome?

start with the greats, Pearl, Bing, JB, etc. I'd put the initial cutoff at the top 30+/- players in program history, to be rolled out over a 5+ year period. who makes it vs who doesn't becomes a massive point of debate (and also gets a great #narrative going)

make the thing larger than life and done with an edge. each year we could add a few more deserving players to the mural. make it ceremonial and a tradition. .leave room for the future

the artwork will show the players depicted as highlights. Stevie's pic will be soaring, Pearl going left, Hak reaching for a block, Devo preening on a table

let kids come and aspire to "make the wall" and be immortalized

how about a massive mural somewhere, perhaps an interior or exterior wall of the "new" dome?

start with the greats, Pearl, Bing, JB, etc. I'd put the initial cutoff at the top 30+/- players in program history, to be rolled out over a 5+ year period. who makes it vs who doesn't becomes a massive point of debate (and also gets a great #narrative going)

make the thing larger than life and done with an edge. each year we could add a few more deserving players to the mural. make it ceremonial and a tradition. .leave room for the future

the artwork will show the players depicted as highlights. Stevie's pic will be soaring, Pearl going left, Hak reaching for a block, Devo preening on a table

let kids come and aspire to "make the wall" and be immortalized
devo is not a top 30 player. That is exactly what is wrong with the current way we look at Syracuse players. Ever hear of Marty Brynes? We have had a lot of terrific players that most here or in the Syracuse community, don't know.

devo is not a top 30 player. That is exactly what is wrong with the current way we look at Syracuse players. Ever hear of Marty Brynes? We have had a lot of terrific players that most here or in the Syracuse community, don't know.

I have Marty's autograph on a ball with Ross Kindel, Dale Shakleford, etc. so yes, I'm aware and would absolutely include Marty, Lee, Raf, Wendell, plus many others. again, I said the inital cut would be about 30 to be rolled out over 5 or so years. 3-5 new additions per year especially, since I had a moment to think about it...it should be bigger than just hoops. if the dome reno has the ability to create the wall space (could be a wrap around the arena or a great hall like Yankee stadium or new mezz deck or...) the "Wall" should include football and LAX greats as well. Brianna Butler 100% makes the wall.

if done right, could be a really cool look, a unique new tradition and recruiting tool

way to focus on Devo's all time standing though
patriot.gif

Amazing that Roy took that 74-75 team to the final 4. They beat UNC and Kansas State to get there, finally losing to Kentucky. He didn't even have Denny DuVal or Shackleford. How on earth did he do it? Shows how good Rudy and Jimmy Lee were. Definitely deserve to be honored.

Shark58 said:
how about a massive mural somewhere, perhaps an interior or exterior wall of the "new" dome? start with the greats, Pearl, Bing, JB, etc. I'd put the initial cutoff at the top 30+/- players in program history, to be rolled out over a 5+ year period. who makes it vs who doesn't becomes a massive point of debate (and also gets a great #narrative going) make the thing larger than life and done with an edge. each year we could add a few more deserving players to the mural. make it ceremonial and a tradition. .leave room for the future the artwork will show the players depicted as highlights. Stevie's pic will be soaring, Pearl going left, Hak reaching for a block, Devo preening on a table let kids come and aspire to "make the wall" and be immortalized

The athletic department should commission an artist to create a piece similar to the history of SU Lax that was done by Jimmy Santiago, which is displayed in the lobby in Manley. It's a fantastic work of art.

A Rutgers alum friend of mine described Orange players get treated as "Gods". I loved that comment at the time as an explanation why the Rutgers program was not doing so well,

I have Marty's autograph on a ball with Ross Kindel, Dale Shakleford, etc. so yes, I'm aware and would absolutely include Marty, Lee, Raf, Wendell, plus many others. again, I said the inital cut would be about 30 to be rolled out over 5 or so years. 3-5 new additions per year especially, since I had a moment to think about it...it should be bigger than just hoops. if the dome reno has the ability to create the wall space (could be a wrap around the arena or a great hall like Yankee stadium or new mezz deck or...) the "Wall" should include football and LAX greats as well. Brianna Butler 100% makes the wall.

if done right, could be a really cool look, a unique new tradition and recruiting tool

way to focus on Devo's all time standing though
patriot.gif
I'll be honest, although I assume it was done in jest, Devo's mention is what stood out to me in that post as well :confused:

I agree that Devo is not a top 30 but, Devo preening on a table, would honor the event. (6 OT) more so than the player

The athletic department should commission an artist to create a piece similar to the history of SU Lax that was done by Jimmy Santiago, which is displayed in the lobby in Manley. It's a fantastic work of art.

so I looked that up and it is really really cool. something similar for BB and FB should absolutely be done somewhere

I was thinking about something more along the lines of this...but cooler
chisportslegends_003.jpg

I'll be honest, although I assume it was done in jest, Devo's mention is what stood out to me in that post as well :confused:
No one has greater standing in SU Hoops than Devo.

Giant wrap-around mural of greatest players in multiple sports and greatest moments is a great idea. Would have to have Devo on the table, Paul Harris eating popcorn, the 2013 team pileup at the NC buzzer, the block, the hike, JB's coat throwing, Duval's warm-up drill, Pearl's crossover, Manley Zoo, Cipolla's fall away, our great running backs, tight end and receiver, Jim Brown with Lacrosse stick, etc.

Last edited:
RU's basketball gods would be Earl Duncan and Keith Hughes; 2 guys who transferred from Syracuse.
For a Rutgers mural, I'd add Oily and Rutgersal, plus Douby getting teabagged, and you get to five.

Last edited:
No one has greater standing in SU Hoops than Devo.

Giant wrap-around mural of greatest players in multiple sports and greatest moments is a great idea. Would have to have Devo on the table, Paul Harris eating popcorn, the 2013 team pileup at the NC buzzer, the block, the hike, JB's coat throwing, Duval's warm-up drill, Pearl's crossover, Manley Zoo, Cipolla's fall away, our great running backs, tight end and receiver, Jim Brown with Lacrosse stick, etc.
Air Gait

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom