Sports card collecting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sports card collecting

And Trimming isn't necessarily awful, I mean if you have a card that's a misprint and has extra stock, you can trim it to the correct dimensions and it doesn't ruin the value or anything as long as you do it right. That's really how the card should have come out of the pack anyway. It's the knuckleheads that take vintage 3-5's and try to make them into 6-8's and trim them to the wrong dimensions that is pretty shady and annoying.
There was an article I read a week or so ago (I think on ESPN) about the Gretzky T206 Wagner card having likely been trimmed at one point.

My dad and I collected cards during the 1980s boom. We have complete sets for Topps, Fleer and Donruss for about 10 years starting in 1981. My dad would buy a set for me to put into plastic sheets to look at and then would usually buy at least one extra for the investment. He and I have different personalities so I would drive him crazy when I would look at the cards while we were putting them in plastic sheets. He was always telling me I could do that later after we got done :)

We probably have a hundred thousand cards in the closet at their house now.

My favorite player growing up was Reggie Jackson. I have all of his major issue cards (Topps, Fleer Donruss) for his entire career in plastic cases. His rookie card is my most valuable card. At one time, it was about $800. I have lost track what it's worth is now, but I would never consider selling any of my Reggie cards.

I still buy a few packs each year just to see what they look like. Personally, I really enjoy the stories about the old cards and people finding lost treasures.
Just did a quick search through Ebay sold listings and looks like the best graded 1969 jackson rookie was graded an 8.5 and sold for $8300 in June.

There was an article I read a week or so ago (I think on ESPN) about the Gretzky T206 Wagner card having likely been trimmed at one point.
For it to be in the condition it’s in, it’s more probable than not. But they must have been able to do it in a way that maintained the original dimensions, PSA is pretty strict on making sure measurements are correct.

1630078720738.jpeg

That’s the book if anyone is interested. Really well done and great piece on the history of the hobby. Think it’s $17 right now on Amazon.

Just did a quick search through Ebay sold listings and looks like the best graded 1969 jackson rookie was graded an 8.5 and sold for $8300 in June.
Wow that's amazing. I might have to get mine graded just for curiosity. I saved and bought most of the Reggie cards myself, but the rookie card is one my dad got me for Christmas. I know he tried to find it in good condition and to my amateur eye, it is.

One thing that I'm not a huge fan of that is done by Topps (I think) in some collections is the insert cards telling you that you've pulled an auto card. Not the card itself. You have to go on their website and fill out your info with the code on the card and submit it. Then, you wait a couple of months hoping that your card will arrive. I've been waiting on a Jo Adell to show up for awhile now.

In the summer of 1980 I decided I was going to collect the entire Topps NHL set. Of course this was futile and stupid, but I bought a gazillion packs of hockey cards that summer and ordered them in a shoebox but of course never managed to get the full set. I stored them in the basement of my parents' house and mostly forgot about them. I left for SU as a freshman in Sept. of 85 and promptly watched my Flyers attain the best overall record in the league in '86 only to be bounced in the first round by JVB and the 'smurf' Rangers. Oddly, the dynasty oilers were done in by the Flames that same year after Steve Smith banked a clearing attempt off of Grant Fuhr and into his own net to seal their fate. But I digress.

Just as the Oilers dynasty was rising - I said to my self, 'Self - I wonder if you have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card in that shoebox.'. At that time, it might have been worth $20-30 bucks - and made mental note to check next time I got home. Sure enough - I had one. And... I still have it to this day. I have put in a protective plastic, but have never had it rated. There is no way it is a '10' - probably more like a 7.5 or 8, but I guess you never know.

One of those cards (not Topps but OPeeChee (long story)) sold recently for $3.75 Million. If my card were to be graded as a 10 (which it would not be), it would be worth more than a mil probably.

I suppose I should have it graded one of these days.

Last edited:
An entire industry (that used to be) grounded in the Greater Fool theory.

I have a lot of nice cards from the mid-late 80's to early 90's, but just assume they are (relatively ) worthless considering how many cards were put into production at the time.

My kids dig Pokemon cards and are always assuming something they picked up in a pack at Target is rare. I have a hard time believing - those things all look the same to me.

Last edited:
I have a 1989? Upper Deck baseball complete set. Whichever was the first year they came out. It is still shrink wrapped. Is that worth anything?

I have a 1989? Upper Deck baseball complete set. Whichever was the first year they came out. It is still shrink wrapped. Is that worth anything?

Not worth as much as my cards which have bitten corners (why did I bite cardboard?) , "Jerk" and "Bum" written on players I did not like.
Those authentic touches add tremendous value!

No, I don't collect sports cards but I do follow Ben Burrows who use to be with the PS and posted on here. Ben now works for this company Sports Card Investor.

View attachment 205183
You all inspired me to dig out my collection. On the top of the stack was a small sampling of my Cuse pro collection. :)

Edit - Just realized this is also a JDHS pro collection, right?
Damn straight it is! Back when JD used to have a varsity football team. :(

View attachment 205183
You all inspired me to dig out my collection. On the top of the stack was a small sampling of my Cuse pro collection. :)

Edit - Just realized this is also a JDHS pro collection, right?
Wow nice set. That would really be cool if you had Danny Schayes autograph on the card.

Damn straight it is! Back when JD used to have a varsity football team. :(

Do they not a have team now or just that they always suck (I don't remember them being good recently at all).