Sports Illustrated biting the dust | Syracusefan.com

Sports Illustrated biting the dust

Condolences to everyone affected by this. Hope Mike McAllister will continue to do his thing and the 247 web site will not be affected by the idiots from The Arena Group.
They own 247??

Bleep!! Man, I love that site.

McAllister hasn't worked for 247Sports in years.

247Sports is owned by CBS now.
My bad. Not a subscriber. But I know his stuff gets posted on the SI site. Hopefully that part of the business does not go down with the ship.

How do you let a publication like SI end. What a bunch of crap.

I think I first subscribed to SI in 1990 and I got a NY Mets 1989 Season recap video upon subscribing.

Lot of commentary on Keith/Gary leaving and the new blood being Elster and Gregg Jefferies. Then they talk about the Lenny D/Juan Samuel trade.

Ah man. Lot of memories from Sports Illustrated.

1705695115431.jpeg

Kind of sad. My grandfather subscribed from the very first issue and then my dad got a subscription and then I've had my own since I've been an adult. So between the three of us, we've gotten the magazine for it's entire existence. Sure it's no longer the go-to resource for the latest news, but they do still have excellent feature stores and I still enjoy reading it.

Kind of sad. My grandfather subscribed from the very first issue and then my dad got a subscription and then I've had my own since I've been an adult. So between the three of us, we've gotten the magazine for it's entire existence. Sure it's no longer the go-to resource for the latest news, but they do still have excellent feature stores and I still enjoy reading it.
Ya. Lots of toilet time with the old SI magazines. Especially the swim suite addition.

I am younger but I feel like the world has become a worse place since people stopped reading and started relying on television/social media for everything
I 100% agree. Newspapers, weekly mags were something to look forward to and life didn’t change because you didn’t get that news/info sooner.

Couldn't agree more. Even just thinking about sports talk in general, it has devolved into reality TV nonsense.
Shows like First Take are ruining sports discourse and trying to revolve shows around viral clips is making sports fans dumber.

I don't do politics but every person that I know who religiously watches political television has become somebody that I want to spend less time around. Especially since Covid and on both sides of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Even just thinking about sports talk in general, it has devolved into reality TV nonsense.
Yup too many feral talking heads.

I say this as someone who loved SI and grew up on SI, Had a sub throughout my childhood...and I'm very sad it appears to be ending...that said...

I havent bought an issue of SI in 20 years. I doubt many here have as well. You have to figure out how to make money with the name and their last ditch was CNNSI way back when Time had them. They've been irrelevant for years.

Who buys magazines anymore?
Obviously no one. Quad Graphics, a magazine production company announced today they are closing their Saratoga facility putting 400 people out of work. It's been there a long time and I know some people that work there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom