Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM

Wow, just wow. Continually impressive.
Yep and yep. Just so straight forward in his approach, it’s so refreshing. So impressive and he demonstrates nuanced intelligence as well in several spots. Holding everybody to the highest account. Just love it.

And absolutely love his philosophy that over the 50 yard line in opponents territory you go for it on fourth down in most situation‘s that are reasonable and where makes sense to be aggressive, was the gist of it. God bless him for that alone!

Whether we want to admit it or not, this is perfect. We want our first team offense to beat our first string defense in the spring game (where they really aren’t hitting each other at 100% speed). We also want our second team defense to paste our second team offense.

I don't like the airing of dirty laundry in public. And there was some snark about closing doors and the mic not working. Appreciate the honesty but there are times and places for certain things. And some things can be said behind closed doors.

Personal opinion. Also, he swears a lot under his breath. Nitpicky but saying 'sh**' with the Donovan Brown question is not appropriate. Again, personal opinion.

Hey you're entitled to your opinion and that's fine.

But to me it shows how real he's being. He's not censoring himself and taking a measured approach. He's telling you exactly how he's feeling even if it's not great.

I don't like the airing of dirty laundry in public. And there was some snark about closing doors and the mic not working. Appreciate the honesty but there are times and places for certain things. And some things can be said behind closed doors.

Personal opinion. Also, he swears a lot under his breath. Nitpicky but saying 'sh**' with the Donovan Brown question is not appropriate. Again, personal opinion.
Coach Fran seems to work 20 hours a day. He has set expectations for himself, his coaches and team. The whole point of DART.
I have no problem him calling people out that do not meet expectations, including the university. He knows what it takes to win. If we want to be a big program we have to expect it might hurt some people’s feelings. I do not think he does it to be mean spirited just going to be honest with his expectations.

Just a few observations:

- McCord looked good, getting the ball off quick and was accurate, even in the sense of throwing the ball where the defense can't get it, even if it winds up incomplete. There was one ball that he threw right to a linebacker who had jumped the route. Also, he's not a scrambler so we need to make sure we can protect him for 12 games.

- I thought Del Rio Wilson looked pretty good - and can scramble. Don't count him out, either as a back-up or for the future.

- I've loved Hatcher since I first saw his high school tape and he looked like a star out there. I also liked the long pass to Villari.

- Love the 1-2 punch of Allen and Willis, although I'm not sure what we've got behind them. Allen seemed to have a burst of speed I didn't see last year. The sight of Willis carrying three guys into the end zone reminded me of Moose Johnson going through the entire state of West Virginia to score a tying touchdown in '87.

- The plays where the offense didn't work seemed like plays where the defense made them not work. They weren't screw-ups.

I usually agree, but we’ve been wanting to act like a big boy program for a long time now. If he’s gotta air a little dirty laundry to get the admin to start acting like a big boy program, I’m all for it.

Just a few observations:

- McCord looked good, getting the ball off quick and was accurate, even in the sense of throwing the ball where the defense can't get it, even if it winds up incomplete. There was one ball that he threw right to a linebacker who had jumped the route. Also, he's not a scrambler so we need to make sure we can protect him for 12 games.

- I thought Del Rio Wilson looked pretty good - and can scramble. Don't count him out, either as a back-up or for the future.

- I've loved Hatcher since I first saw his high school tape and he looked like a star out there. I also liked the long pass to Villari.

- Love the 1-2 punch of Allen and Willis, although I'm not sure what we've got behind them. Allen seemed to have a burst of speed I didn't see last year. The sight of Willis carrying three guys into the end zone reminded me of Moose Johnson going through the entire state of West Virginia to score a tying touchdown in '87.

- The plays where the offense didn't work seemed like plays where the defense made them not work. They weren't screw-ups.
Good stuff and to add to that all, I do believe there was not even one procedure penalty on any of the offensive teams. That In and of itself would be an impressive step in the right direction/improvement from what we are used to here.

Kind of like my MIL. Not everything you think or feel needs to be said aloud.

Swears a lot? Have you ever been around a football program? He will ask forgiveness for it tomorrow and the slate wiped clean.

i’ll take this over the previous vocabulary and openness every time.

Good stuff and to add to that all, I do believe there was not even one procedure penalty on any of the offensive teams. That In and of itself would be an impressive step in the right direction/improvement from what we are used to here.
There was, just not called . Right tackle was jumping early a few times.

Interesting read SyrFan people, thanks for the feedback.

One thing I'd like to add was...did Hart get hurt? The RB top 2 are incredible but Chandler had to play for both teams. I saw Hart standing but not playing since the beginning of the game.

I usually agree, but we’ve been wanting to act like a big boy program for a long time now. If he’s gotta air a little dirty laundry to get the admin to start acting like a big boy program, I’m all for it.
If Marrone wasn’t from a pro background he could have aired a TON of dirty laundry.

Last edited:

As I said when he was first hired, he’s going to piss some people off with his rawness.

I personally love it

I dont think he aired really any dirty laundry. If band and cheargirls were supposed to be there, they are supposed to be there. Thats not dirty laundry. Now if he outed the Brown kid, i could see your point. My opinion ishe wasperfectly fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom