Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM

The Syracuse establishment needs to get on board with NIL. Sold out football and large basketball games brings millions of dollars into the local economy. Sold out games fill up hotels and restaurants. Ask the stores on Marshall street what their business looks like on big game days? Wegmans needs to push tailgate menus and get involved with NIL. I think Fedex just committed $5 million a year for five years to Memphis NIL. Theres nothing like it in Syracuse when SU is in the NCAA tournament or going to a big bowl. I have to believe JMA and Micron have potential to be huge contributors. Orange United has to continue to reach out to fans to contribute to monthly donations. They went crazy when Fran was first hired, but need to keep momentum moving again. Getting corporations to match donation targets are huge. It gives people additional reasons to contribute. The future is NIL, so either the community/region get on board or we become obsolete.

The Syracuse establishment needs to get on board with NIL. Sold out football and large basketball games brings millions of dollars into the local economy. Sold out games fill up hotels and restaurants. Ask the stores on Marshall street what their business looks like on big game days? Wegmans needs to push tailgate menus and get involved with NIL. I think Fedex just committed $5 million a year for five years to Memphis NIL. Theres nothing like it in Syracuse when SU is in the NCAA tournament or going to a big bowl. I have to believe JMA and Micron have potential to be huge contributors. Orange United has to continue to reach out to fans to contribute to monthly donations. They went crazy when Fran was first hired, but need to keep momentum moving again. Getting corporations to match donation targets are huge. It gives people additional reasons to contribute. The future is NIL, so either the community/region get on board or we become obsolete.
The Syracuse vs Clemson game in 2019 is how our gameday atmosphere needs to be all the time. Not a great game itself, but from morning to night it was tailgates and people everywhere.

Just watched Fran’s presser from last night. I have a feeling that if, heaven forbid, we ever get embarrassed on national TV two weeks in a row he isn’t going to be sitting there smiling afterward because the schedule is going to get easier going forward. Dude is a hardass and I am here for it

I am sure they will work it out. However, it could have been worked out in private. I have worked with many coaches in the past. They hear what they want. It also could have been communicated to the person who was in the meeting representing football what the plan was - and the message didn’t get to where it needed to go. There are a lot of people involved in these sorts of things and I understand how he might be frustrated. Just didn’t like the way he took the offensive in the press conference. He seemed like he was annoyed in that from the jump and looking for things - the door closing comment was passive aggressive and seemingly not necessary.
I just watched the entire press conference… he was asked a question and he answered the question honestly… just like he answered every other question thoughtfully and honestly. Was he also passive aggressive when he thanked the entire community for showing up and his vision for creating a culture by having alumni around?

The cherry picking is out of control.

Fran definitely has people energized and people who dropped SU football and starting to come around. That being said the fan base has suffered for a long time and don’t wanna be let down again. Its gonna take more then a few months to get the support back to what it once was. I gotta wonder if the university can up the student activity fee and buy out the student section and get the students “Free” tickets.!

Ah. That’s random. I assume he’s a booster now or something?
He told a story in the presser about meeting him recently in NJ and how they’re very aligned on discipline and how to run a program. He was honored that he gave him a signed jersey and felt that he should honor him in return. For what he gave to the program. I wasn’t aware of him and liked it.

No truer statement. The crowd was ok, the alumni are behind the program and the collectives are doing their part. SU is a community program and the community needs to support it by showing up. If we can’t do that, then hello patriot league in 3 years. The program Fran is putting together will win now!! We can’t use the excuse, we will support when they win. That simply won’t work anymore.
The fan base is the least of this program problems. Most of us have loyally attended for years with the school - more often than not - not caring at all about us, and the product stinking. . I know he's the second coming, but anyone affiliated with the school who calls the fans out is just old noise to me. Coach your team and win, the fans will be there.

It’s going to be a massive thing.

Couple things worked against him yesterday…

1) weather, it was cold and nasty, hard for a lot of people to go out and be on the quad for an exhibition game. First game or not that’s a tough pull

2) The parking situation was not good yesterday. You had people leaving the lax game and people trying to park for spring game/quad walk at the same time. I’m sure this tied up A LOT of people who intended on being there for it.

3) If events had been between the two games in the quad it would have been perfect opportunity. I feel this was a miss but it is what it is.
Weather was windy and a bit chilly, but nothing major for CNY. No rain was the key. To me, not a factor.

#2 was not really an issue either. All we needed was for even half the lax crowd to stick around and then have the tailgates break up earlier. There were plenty of people in the vicinity. I made it across town after the lax game, parked in Standart, and got to Hendricks 10-15 minutes before the buses pulled up. Masses of lax fans were streaming down to the parking lots as I walked up the hill. The traffic going up to the Dome was flowing well. It was the traffic leaving the lax game that was moving slow.

I think the University did a poor job of not only communicating to the fans about the Quad Walk, but doing something to incentivize the lax fans to stay over and Spring Game fans to arrive early. They did end up opening the gates early so we weren’t standing outside forever.

People griped for years that Dino said a lot of words but really didn’t say anything to the press. Now we have a coach who doesn’t mince words and people don’t like that either.

Reading these posts people seem to like the candor. Just don't be dull and repetitive.

I was at Varsity at 4:30pm, and there were 6 cheerleaders in there eating pizza. They didn't look like they were scheduled to be anywhere else.

Not too much pizza, I hope.

The fan base is the least of this program problems. Most of us have loyally attended for years with the school - more often than not - not caring at all about us, and the product stinking. . I know he's the second coming, but anyone affiliated with the school who calls the fans out is just old noise to me. Coach your team and win, the fans will be there.
Thats a very old Syracuse opinion. Truth is when the musical chairs stop and one super league is formed, we need a seat at the table. To be there SU athletics needs money, fan support and a winning football team. Thats the new reality. So I guess what is old is new again.

McCord, Lequint, Willis, Peña, Haynes….. wow I’m blown away. I’ll be honest I was questioning the pena love, now I’m not. And wait we still have Meeks, potentially Justus Ross-Simmons, and OG waiting in the wings?? What! I seriously am blown away. I seriously think it’s not crazy to say 9-3/10-2 next year.
and we have a kind schedule

LQA is 1. Willis is 2.

Drummond, Owens.

Walker, Richardson

Thomas, KMac

KMac, Brown

Reyes, Rhodes

Carter, Bailey

Smith, Gully

……………..

I still think that if your QB isn't a dual threat guy, you need to be able to put two running backs in there at the same time, unless you've got a line that blows doors down on every play. On a passing play, the defense doesn't know who will get the ball and they should have some uncertainty on running plays as well.

Bring back #44!
Yes that's one thing. But there's gameday traditions at a lot of schools that are basically fan led/initiated that seem harder at Syracuse for whatever reason. Not to criticize our fans - they are fantastic who have been loyal for more bad years than good years.

No truer statement. The crowd was ok, the alumni are behind the program and the collectives are doing their part. SU is a community program and the community needs to support it by showing up. If we can’t do that, then hello patriot league in 3 years. The program Fran is putting together will win now!! We can’t use the excuse, we will support when they win. That simply won’t work anymore.

Fans need to be investors, not just consumers.

Yes that's one thing. But there's gameday traditions at a lot of schools that are basically fan led/initiated that seem harder at Syracuse for whatever reason. Not to criticize our fans - they are fantastic who have been loyal for more bad years than good years.
It's crazy.

We as fans can't do any cheer other than Let's Go Orange

We need a Cuse hand sign like most big boy schools

Last edited:
It was the swarm of pop warner kids begging at the rails. I saw two players (who I will not out here ;) ) try desperately to tell the kids they would “get them after the game”, but the kids wore them down. This was just after the game started, and one of the players was a true freshman. He saw an upperclassman next to him do it and broke down. I knew that was gonna be a no-no. Fran doesn’t miss a thing. I did not see anyone near me sign after that other than the NFL guys. Cisco, Bergeron, Hassan Reddick and Garrett Williams.

Gill’s father was sitting behind me. He’s hilarious. Was really chiding the defense whenever his son made a play.
Yup I was there…. I was getting annoyed myself from the kids but I understand. I can’t blame the players, and honestly the spring game is about the fans. The players did a good job of holding off most of the time, and I can tell you the main four( all mentioned above as wow) they kept it good. A normal game you won’t see that as ushers would not have any of that or the season ticket holders who would sit there.

Working at SU is a great gig

Benefits to include free tuition for children.

Relaxed summer work schedules and other holiday breaks many don't get.
SU's marketing staff consists of 3 people. Georgia has 7 full-time people. Look around the country. If you expect things to change, you need to change the staff construct.

Sure, the jobs can have benefits. But do you see the marketing and communications staff members at every single home game - whether that's softball, women's lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, women's hockey, or basketball, football? You do. That's a lot of nights and weekends. Not to mention the social media attention that requires near 24 hour monitoring these days.

Demands have changed. Unfortunately, staffing numbers have not.

This is no disrespect at all as I appreciate your contributions to the board and such, but have you ever worked in college athletics? Specifically in the external space? Outside looking in, it's all glamorous - I GET TO GO TO GAMES FOR FREE!. But very rarely do you see how the sausage is made. It's not all it is cracked up to be, especially now compared to 20 years ago.

He told a story in the presser about meeting him recently in NJ and how they’re very aligned on discipline and how to run a program. He was honored that he gave him a signed jersey and felt that he should honor him in return. For what he gave to the program. I wasn’t aware of him and liked it.
Totally agree.

When I saw him wearing it on the walk, I assumed that it was a South Jersey thing (they are all Birds fans) and he was leaning into his roots and recruiting stomping grounds.

Of course I learn during the presser it was so much deeper than that, not only being a letterman, but also a mentor to Coach Fran. Jeez, I am a pretty big fan of Coach Fran and even I can't give him enough credit haha.

Spring Game is the PERFECT time for these kinds of unique nods to our history/community/alumni etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom