Spring roster is up | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Spring roster is up

man, I think we need another QB. We're one injury away from this season going downhill fast
100%. Other schools are bringing in decent 2nd options, whomever comes in is one McCord injury away from starting in 2024 and no Kyle after this year to worry about as competition

100%. Other schools are bringing in decent 2nd options, whomever comes in is one McCord injury away from starting in 2024 and no Kyle after this year to worry about as competition
Biggest gap I can see on the team. I hope Fran and Co have something up their sleeve here. But to be fair, this Spring is important for Davis & CDRW - they both have a clean slate opportunity to step up and they'll be assessed first hand. Be interesting to see if we see any movement here after the Spring.

You'd think this would be a prime opportunity for a quality portal guy - could have a direct path to being a multi-year starter here after McCord.

Yes, injuries will happen. I hope they don't especially to needed, talented players.

I hope the OL will protect Kyle McCord, we lose him and we're in trouble.

Kind of wish we had a very good 2 deep QB who we could depend on IF something bad happens - hoping nothing does.

You're not wrong with any of this, reality of our place in current CFB pecking order is we're not a place a starting level QB would be willing to sit a year. Current roster gap there is because we lost our QB2 to Stanford after all.

Awesome. My reign as President of Kadin Bailey fan club continues. Hopefully he’s recovered from his season ending injury.

I also has no idea that Derek McDonald was that large. Either that’s roster rounding or he’s got NFL measurables.

You're not wrong with any of this, reality of our place in current CFB pecking order is we're not a place a starting level QB would be willing to sit a year. Current roster gap there is because we lost our QB2 to Stanford after all.
I'm not sure the gap would be fixed even with Justin Lamson.

CDRW and Davis were both 4 star recruits. How much opportunity have they had to really show what they can do? Fans take snapshots and think that that is all a plyer can ever be.

In modern college football you need a quality #2 guy and a #3 guy who isn't a deer in the headlights.
You gotta sell a young transfer on the opportunity to be a backup one year and then compete with Jakhari or an older guy content with being a backup for a year and another degree.

CDRW can’t be the backup. Has tons of talent but game won’t slow down for him. I’d be surprised if it clicks.

Quick glance:

Kendall Long
Muwaffaq Parkman
Max von Marburg
Austin Roon
Austyn Kauhi
Belizaire Bassette

Gone.
Because I’ll likely never get to use it again……

IMG_0080.gif

Biggest gap I can see on the team. I hope Fran and Co have something up their sleeve here. But to be fair, this Spring is important for Davis & CDRW - they both have a clean slate opportunity to step up and they'll be assessed first hand. Be interesting to see if we see any movement here after the Spring.

You'd think this would be a prime opportunity for a quality portal guy - could have a direct path to being a multi-year starter here after McCord.
We have a one-and-done QB. Not the best situation to get a # 2 that could almost be #1 in today's portal/

And we aren't there where we can have a Garrett Shrader show up behind a Devito. And not as worried as I don't sense our offense will rely on a star/go-make-plays-yourself QB.

Not worried this year about QB.

As an FYI Fran Brown is intentionally keeping the QB room light

Might see him poke around after spring ball but he generally is against having a DEEP qb room with the new age transfer portal
Hmm.

As an FYI Fran Brown is intentionally keeping the QB room light

Might see him poke around after spring ball but he generally is against having a DEEP qb room with the new age transfer portal
I agree with that approach, tbh. Realistically when your starter goes down, the season is over anyways. And even if the 2nd string guy is good enough to win games, look at FSU last season.

Having 3 scholarship QBs maximum leaves you more flexible in the case an opportunity presents itself. Gone are the days of a kid waiting 3 years for his turn to play.

McCord waited 3 years behind CJ Stroud for his turn. That would never happen with the way the portal is now.

I agree with that approach, tbh. Realistically when your starter goes down, the season is over anyways. And even if the 2nd string guy is good enough to win games, look at FSU last season.

Having 3 scholarship QBs maximum leaves you more flexible in the case an opportunity presents itself. Gone are the days of a kid waiting 3 years for his turn to play.

McCord waited 3 years behind CJ Stroud for his turn. That would never happen with the way the portal is now.

Exactly.

Awesome. My reign as President of Kadin Bailey fan club continues. Hopefully he’s recovered from his season ending injury.

I also has no idea that Derek McDonald was that large. Either that’s roster rounding or he’s got NFL measurables.
I don't know anything about anything but my (usually sloshed at games) eyes tell me he's an NFL Draft pick. He's a freak.

Yup. McCord has to stay healthy and give a good representation of Jeff Nixon's offense. That will attract quality transfer QB's for next year. Cuse is just not at point where a quality transfer will be willing to back up for a whole season. Schrader was willing to take that chance. Im sure Dino made assurrances and Im not sure how many options he had.

Yup. McCord has to stay healthy and give a good representation of Jeff Nixon's offense. That will attract quality transfer QB's for next year. Cuse is just not at point where a quality transfer will be willing to back up for a whole season. Schrader was willing to take that chance. Im sure Dino made assurrances and Im not sure how many options he had.

I'd follow the path Marrone did with Nassib in 2012 because he also didn't have the best of depth at QB to be polite. No foolish chances and get down quick in ANY type of scramble past scrimmage. Run/play action and have a TE or RB to dump off to quickly.

I don't think Shrader had many options, if any at all to play QB at a P5 school.

I mostly agree with that but at a minimum it has to be 3, with 4 being ideal. The last 8 seasons we have used 2.5 QBs on average. We shouldn't be forced to do what we did last year, TE and Wildcat. Also you need guys to run practice with. If QB1 goes down do you want QB2 to be your starter and have to run scout?

Last year didn't matter because Dino was let go, but if that were to happen this year the story would be a lot different. Sure in terms of Ws and Ls it won't. But in terms of development and learning the O, it would hurt going forward. Once QB1 goes down the rest of the season is a practice for the next season. So we want to actually be running our base O, even if it doesn't do a thing with Ws.

Like you said, a quality QB isn't going to stay long term and wait it out. But we can still get kids like Lamson or Morgan as bodies for 1-2 years as a break in case of emergency QB with no plan to have them ever be QB1. And who knows maybe you get lucky and find a diamond.

So IMO we need one of CDRW or Davis to stay. That will give us 4 QBs with Williams and the preferred walk on coming in. If both leave we should be looking to bring in another body.

I mostly agree with that but at a minimum it has to be 3, with 4 being ideal. The last 8 seasons we have used 2.5 QBs on average. We shouldn't be forced to do what we did last year, TE and Wildcat. Also you need guys to run practice with. If QB1 goes down do you want QB2 to be your starter and have to run scout?

Last year didn't matter because Dino was let go, but if that were to happen this year the story would be a lot different. Sure in terms of Ws and Ls it won't. But in terms of development and learning the O, it would hurt going forward. Once QB1 goes down the rest of the season is a practice for the next season. So we want to actually be running our base O, even if it doesn't do a thing with Ws.

Like you said, a quality QB isn't going to stay long term and wait it out. But we can still get kids like Lamson or Morgan as bodies for 1-2 years as a break in case of emergency QB with no plan to have them ever be QB1. And who knows maybe you get lucky and find a diamond.

So IMO we need one of CDRW or Davis to stay. That will give us 4 QBs with Williams and the preferred walk on coming in. If both leave we should be looking to bring in another body.
It was obvious early in the season that Shredder had not recovered from his surgery.

I don't remember when he had the procedure, but I think he was out for spring ball. If they knew the severity of the injury and they also knew what they had (or didn't have) in CDRW--and they still couldn't keep Lamson--in hindsight, that points to something pretty seriously wrong with Dino and co.

We shouldn't be forced to do what we did last year, TE and Wildcat. Also you need guys to run practice with. If QB1 goes down do you want QB2 to be your starter and have to run scout?
They decided wildcat was their best way to win games. The back up got hurt and their 3rd and 4th could throw the ball but not to the level where they felt they could win. They did beat Pitt and that ultimately got them to a bowl game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom