Stanitzek not be be punished further | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Stanitzek not be be punished further

ridiculous. If the sport wants to save itself it need do more. I guess it would have taken a more severe injury (which only didn't happen by the grace of God) to have this see the light of day because, as usual, it always takes tragedy for reform. Speaking of it's tragic that this douchenoozle gets away with this, both the kid, the team, and the school.
hopefully we'll never have to recruit against mac schools but if we ever do, i hope they point out to parents what that conference thinks is appropriate punishment

I realize this might piss some people off but stop watching it hit in slo-mo or in stills. Watch it full speed over and over and over and over. My challenge to anyone here is try to count 1 full second between the ball release and the hit by Stanitzek. I remember from grammar school that 1 full second should be a '1 mississippi'. I've done this exercise over and over and I can't get past '1 mi-'. I seriously think that's less than .5 seconds and the guy only takes 1 extra full step before hitting ED. After doing this over and over watching full speed I'm not even sure the hit was late, it's close but not as certain as we've made it out to be. It was clearly targeting and that's what he got called for but I think we need to check ourselves collectively as a fanbase. It was a brutal hit but it wasn't necessarily as premeditated and flagrant as we originally thought.

I realize this might piss some people off but stop watching it hit in slo-mo or in stills. Watch it full speed over and over and over and over. My challenge to anyone here is try to count 1 full second between the ball release and the hit by Stanitzek. I remember from grammar school that 1 full second should be a '1 mississippi'. I've done this exercise over and over and I can't get past '1 mi-'. I seriously think that's less than .5 seconds and the guy only takes 1 extra full step before hitting ED. After doing this over and over watching full speed I'm not even sure the hit was late, it's close but not as certain as we've made it out to be. It was clearly targeting and that's what he got called for but I think we need to check ourselves collectively as a fanbase. It was a brutal hit but it wasn't necessarily as premeditated and flagrant as we originally thought.

Does it really take a "full Mississippi" to pull up? I don't think it does.

Plenty of time to pull up or just run past without hitting
Plenty of time to not launch himself head first
Plenty of time to not follow through with your forearm/elbow to the head after the hit
Plenty of time to not wrench his ankle/leg on the bottom of the pile

Clearly a dirty hit and play

Does it really take a "full Mississippi" to pull up? I don't think it does.
I don't know, haven't played the game in 23 years but I feel like less than .5 seconds isn't alot of reaction time on a live play. I'm not saying he didn't deserve the ejection, but those calling for this kid to never play football again or be suspended against us next year or for the next 5 games need to take another look. If they still feel that way then fine, I get it. I've just decided to look at it all again after the emotions have calmed down. When you watch at full speed it really is release - hit and not much in between. It doesn't take a long time to fall to the ground, as a matter of fact you fall at exactly 9.82 m/s/s. When Dungey released the ball, he was starting to fall, he made it about 2 feet towards the ground before Stanitzek hit him. I'm not telling everyone they are wrong, but take another look now that everyone's calmed down a bit.

Many moons ago, as a young man, I could clobber pitchers throwing 90+ MPH.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/baseball/biobaseball.html

He had a helluva lot more time to make up his mind than I did when I was at the plate.

Many moons ago, as a young man, I could clobber pitchers throwing 90+ MPH.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/baseball/biobaseball.html

He had a helluva lot more time to make up his mind than I did when I was at the plate.

Actually he had about the same amount of time. I looked it up, a 90mph fast ball gets to the plate in .4 seconds. That's about how much time there was between the ball release and the hit. The difference is you weren't trying to stop 200+lbs of momentum when you swung the bat. I'm not defending him, I'm also not ready to say all the other things our fanbase is either. He deserved to be ejected no argument. It's the other stuff that kind of has me shaking my head at our fanbase a little.

Actually he had about the same amount of time. I looked it up, a 90mph fast ball gets to the plate in .4 seconds. That's about how much time there was between the ball release and the hit. The difference is you weren't trying to stop 200+lbs of momentum when you swung the bat. I'm not defending him, I'm also not ready to say all the other things our fanbase is either. He deserved to be ejected no argument. It's the other stuff that kind of has me shaking my head at our fanbase a little.

When the ball was let go he was upright so he had enough time to get into a launching position and then launch himself. It would have taken him less time to not get into the launching position and launch himself then it would have to just run past. He had enough time to decide to make the hit then he had enough time to decide not to make the hit. Look at the still when Dungey releases the ball the defender is upright. Like I said plenty of time.

The #8 adjusted and backed off fine.

When the ball was let go he was upright so he had enough time to get into a launching position and then launch himself. It would have taken him less time to not get into the launching position and launch himself then it would have to just run past. He had enough time to decide to make the hit then he had enough time to decide not to make the hit. Look at the still when Dungey releases the ball the defender is upright. Like I said plenty of time.
The #8 adjusted and backed off fine.

Fair enough guys, I'm not advocating for CMU. I just decided to watch everything again today at full speed. I did it over and over and it happened fast, really fast so I thought I'd bring it up. My first impressions were that he took like 4 steps and was head hunting. After today I realized it was less than 2 steps and I wanted to know others opinions at full speed.

He took at least 3 steps, after the ball was released, to delivering that dirty shot. Plenty of time to avoid the hit all together much less change direction to avoid that type of blow. He didn't even have his his eyes looking elsewhere, he was legitimately looking right at Dungey as he released the ball. 0% chance he "accidentally" delivered that hit or couldn't avoid it and he absolutely measured that up.

Fair enough guys, I'm not advocating for CMU. I just decided to watch everything again today at full speed. I did it over and over and it happened fast, really fast so I thought I'd bring it up. My first impressions were that he took like 4 steps and was head hunting. After today I realized it was less than 2 steps and I wanted to know others opinions at full speed.

Go here:

Start at around :23. Dungey releases at :24. actual contact happens at :27. #8 was closer and backed off.
upload_2015-9-22_16-10-33.png

upload_2015-9-22_16-11-47.png

i think some people miss the point a bit when it comes to the "speed of the game" and "split-second decision" and some of the other anecdotal reasons why this guy couldn't adjust in time to not hit him. i don't think the point is that maybe he had to make the fictitious go or no go decision in the exact moment that the ball left dungey's hand. you can tell and anticipate when the QB is going to throw the ball well before it is actually physically released, and by then you should have a pretty good idea whether or not you have a chance to get there first. this guy had no chance to get to dungey before the ball came out, and his head was still up when the ball was out so he must have seen him throw it. the point here is that he didn't fail in a split-second decision to adjust, the point is that he made his decision that he was going to hit dungey regardless of when he got there. and he got there late, and he dropped his head to spear him. maybe he meant to spear him in the chest instead of the head, but that is the only defense the guy has "well i meant to spear him in the chest, you know, because my head was down i couldn't actually see where i was about to hit him."

Go here:

Start at around :23. Dungey releases at :24. actual contact happens at :27.
View attachment 51078

View attachment 51079
That is a great look at it, thank you. I was watching this and trying to piece it together...
http://www.si.com/college-football/...mu-eric-dungey-mitch-stanitzek-late-hit-video

The most telling thing is the way #8 immediately pulls off and moves in the direction of the pass, Stanitzek absolutely had just as much time as #8. Thanks for the extra look.

The other difference is that I don't swing the bat for the first 20 some odd feet that the ball is flying through the air.

The other difference is that I don't swing the bat for the first 20 some odd feet that the ball is flying through the air.
In all fairness, IDK how you did it. I like sitting along the 3rd base line at chiefs games so I can watch the bullpen. You get a real good look from behind the catcher and I try to follow the ball into his glove. I'm absolutely amazed at the both the velocity and the movement on the balls. Very impressive that anyone can hit that stuff.

That is a great look at it, thank you. I was watching this and trying to piece it together...
http://www.si.com/college-football/...mu-eric-dungey-mitch-stanitzek-late-hit-video

The most telling thing is the way #8 immediately pulls off and moves in the direction of the pass, Stanitzek absolutely had just as much time as #8. Thanks for the extra look.

It was a dirty play, it was unnecessary, and he should be punished more than what he is receiving. It sends the wrong message to have a kid sit out a game, as long as the injured kid will have to sit out, for doing something like that.

I would feel the same exact way if one of our defenders did the same thing to an opponent. There's no place in a sport as violent as this one is already for that kind of stuff. He had more than enough time to pull up or redirect himself and he chose not to. It was a late hit and targeting even if he didn't hit Dungey in the head.

In all fairness, IDK how you did it. I like sitting along the 3rd base line at chiefs games so I can watch the bullpen. You get a real good look from behind the catcher and I try to follow the ball into his glove. I'm absolutely amazed at the both the velocity and the movement on the balls. Very impressive that anyone can hit that stuff.

Yeah, you kinda have to wait on it a wee bit. Makes it a bit harder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom