Starters? | Syracusefan.com

Starters?

Who starts tonight? Guesses.

It is crazy that the day before the first game the only guy I'm 100% confident will start is Battle.

JB seems to be all-in on Frank Howard, so pencil him in. Given JB's usual treatment at the 5, I think Chuckwu is the starter. Then probably 2 out of this three: Moyer, Brisset, Thorpe. I'll take

Howard
Thorpe
Battle
Moyer
Chuckwu

Not a great lineup, although if you're going to play Chuckwu, having the three guards at least gives you a chance of some offense?

Scoring is really going to be at a premium this year. Any non-Battle guy who can put the ball in the bucket I think ends up in the starting lineup.

I agree with Thorpe, Howard, Battle, Mayer and Chucky

will be interesting in that line up who starts bringing the ball up court

Howard, Battle, Brissett, Moyer, Chuckwu
This is correct.
And others are correct who believe Thorpe will start eventually. Maybe. At the very least Jim will have Tyus at the 3 in crunch time.

Frank and Tyus will not leave the floor at all. Couple mins tops. Both will be over 35 mins a game. Barring injury of course. Jim is insanely bullish on FH this year.

I like it.

or it might possibly be

Thorpe
Battle
Brissett
Moyer
Sidibe
Nope. Sorry to those who think FH is not crunch time. He is. He has become one of our best shooters and definitely our best PG. Not close.

This is correct.
And others are correct who believe Thorpe will start eventually. Maybe. At the very least Jim will have Tyus at the 3 in crunch time.

Frank and Tyus will not leave the floor at all. Couple mins tops. Both will be over 35 mins a game. Barring injury of course. Jim is insanely bullish on FH this year.
bookmarked

Nope. Sorry to those who think FH is not crunch time. He is. He has become one of our best shooters and definitely our best PG. Not close.
Given where he was in January, 2017, if Frank gives us 35 mpg of quality PG play to go along with above average 3 pt shooting, I think it will have to go down as one of Boeheim's greatest coaching achievements.
And that is what I am rooting for.

Marek is one and done. People who have mentioned this are correct. There is a reason we are still after forwards for 2018. Battle and Marek are 99.9% gone and from what I've heard from staff TT is at best 50 50 to be back. All three for different reasons but all gone. Anyone who thinks OB or Moyer will have a better year or more playing time than Marek are going to be incorrect... barring injury or the coaches being way off on what they think.

Marek is going to be our best frosh and it probably won't be close. Oshae is legit too though. If FH makes the progress that the staff expects... this is far from a bubble team. Enjoy the ride everyone.

Just for fun, let's call this post back up on February 1. I'm guessing that Brissett will be our best freshman, followed by Sidibe.

As you know, I admire your willingness to take a strong stance, CuseLifer11. Are you still thinking that it's not even close that Marek is better than Brissett? I think it will be (and has been) obvious who the better player is, beginning tonight.

Agreed. "Clutch" is earned, not bestowed during the offseason.
That is certainly true, but to be fair CuseLifer11 called him "crunch time," not clutch. I took him to mean only that he'd be playing with the end of game unit.

That is certainly true, but to be fair CuseLifer11 called him "crunch time," not clutch. I took him to mean only that he'd be playing with the end of game unit.

I actually hope CuseLifer11 is right -- there is no bigger Frank Howard fan on this forum than me. FH being a good player would benefit the team immensely, and maybe propel them to the next level.

But I caution anyone drawing cosmic significance from today's performance against a subpar, overmatched opponent. It is going to be a process this year with Frank. Here's hoping he's up to the challenge.

thorpe will get starters minutes because he can score. We will go small A LOT.

Agree 100%. I think if a few things fall into place, we might be a lot like that 2004 squad [year after national championship], that had to play Josh Pace at the 3. There were games where we were overmatched inside, but some flashes [until Edelin's demons snuck up on us] where we were outstanding -- like the game @ Missouri, where our three guard lineup spread them out and cut them to shreds.

Our guys have some proving to do, but hopefully we've got that kind of upside playing small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom