Stephen A Smith on Gameday | Syracusefan.com

Stephen A Smith on Gameday

longislandcuse

Living Legend
24 second shot clock and eliminate the zone.

Round table on how to improve (I say fix bc this garbage is broken) the college game.

All 5 on Gameday agree its unwatchable.

24 second shot clock and eliminate the zone.

Round table on how to improve (I say fix bc this garbage is broken) the college game.

All 5 on Gameday agree its unwatchable.
Correct me if im wrong because i rarely watch nba but that is why the nba allows the zone- Many man2man teams, basically mid possession morph into a zone or quasi zone. It was too difficult or subjective to define what exactly crossed the line from man2man to quasi zone. Ie it was too difficult for the refs to call an illegal defense? I dont think they will ever be able to effectively outlaw a zone. I admit a zone can bog a game down (mostly because the other team is too inept to attack it (which is not the zones fault)) but at the same time one of the most enjoyable things for me to watch is changing defenses, ie man2man, 23, 32, matchup zone, box and 1, triangle and 2, etc. i love that stuff and think its great for great coaching strategy. Of course it doesnt surprise me that SASmith disagrees w me, if it were up to him, Lebron would be the commissioner of all of basketball

Can't stand these college game know nothings who want to turn the college game into the NBA.
Well but hes probably right about the shot clock. Theres too much stalling and clock management going on imo. Not to mention selfishly a shorter shotclock should help SUs zone. If a team struggles to figure out how attack it in 35 secs, they are really screwed at 25 secs

Stephen A is a loudmouth buffoon. I remember playing pickup hoops with guys just like him at the Y. Always with their big mouth open, and every time they would miss a shot, would invariably call some imaginary touch foul and get the ball out of bounds, and just repeat the above. Sure all you guys played against somebody like that at some point in your life.

Stephen A is a loudmouth buffoon. I remember playing pickup hoops with guys just like him at the Y. Always with their big mouth open, and every time they would miss a shot, would invariably call some imaginary touch foul and get the ball out of bounds, and just repeat the above. Sure all you guys played against somebody like that at some point in your life.
You made an astounding leap in logic there.

I'm not sure about a 24 second shot clock. But it makes zero sense that high schools play with a 30 second shot clock and college plays with 35.

Getting it down to 30 would seem to make sense.

The biggest problem runs much deeper than that. The way the game is played and refereed makes zero sense. A foul is a foul. It doesn't matter how many fouls the player has or the team has or how much time on the clock. A foul is a foul. Call the fouls by the rules of the game consistently. Problem solved.

If the Pittsburgh's of the country have to finish some games playing 2 on 5 for awhile, oh well. Stop fouling. I'm sure they'll learn how to play/coach the game within the rules of basketball eventually.

Talking heads...ugh...esp. SAS.

The way basketball is played morphs over time to some degree. Those who want to "fix" it are trying to put it back into some preconceived box of what they think it should be or has morphed from. I say let the games be played. The object is winning. Teams choose the best way to do so, within the rules of course. This is not UNLV run and gun offense or like an NBA all star game. Defense is a huge part of the game, which can make the game appear "ugly" at times. At least we aren't dealing with the 4 corners offense. Shot clock of 30 I do agree with. I'll be watching no matter what.

I'm not sure about a 24 second shot clock. But it makes zero sense that high schools play with a 30 second shot clock and college plays with 35.

Getting it down to 30 would seem to make sense.

The biggest problem runs much deeper than that. The way the game is played and refereed makes zero sense. A foul is a foul. It doesn't matter how many fouls the player has or the team has or how much time on the clock. A foul is a foul. Call the fouls by the rules of the game consistently. Problem solved.

If the Pittsburgh's of the country have to finish some games playing 2 on 5 for awhile, oh well. Stop fouling. I'm sure they'll learn how to play/coach the game within the rules of basketball eventually.
I wish i could give you 3-4 likes for this

Just fix the officiating: no contact allowed.

A shorter shot clock would be a bonus.
It really is pretty simple. If the game was officiated properly (it's clear that coaches and players need to be treated like children. The refs should call everything. Oh, you think if we foul every possession we can't call it? :whistle: :whistle: whistle: Are you done yet? No? OK. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: The other team is in the bonus next foul you commit, do you understand what's happening now? Still no? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: OK, guys, we're 3 minutes in to this game and your opponent is in the double bonus. Is this how you want to play? Coach, I'm only going to remind you once that coaches are not allowed on the floor) it would solve a lot of ills. I wouldn't say a shot clock change is a bonus though. I think that does need to change.

It was only a matter of time until JB was brought up in this discussion on Gameday. I love the fact that Syracuse is synonymous with the zone. Even tonight when Duke calls out a zone, they call their zone "Orange."

Talking heads...ugh...esp. SAS.

The way basketball is played morphs over time to some degree. Those who want to "fix" it are trying to put it back into some preconceived box of what they think it should be or has morphed from. I say let the games be played. The object is winning. Teams choose the best way to do so, within the rules of course. This is not UNLV run and gun offense or like an NBA all star game. Defense is a huge part of the game, which can make the game appear "ugly" at times. At least we aren't dealing with the 4 corners offense. Shot clock of 30 I do agree with. I'll be watching no matter what.
I agree w you and i really saw the problem in our win over ND. So we had a 5-7 pt lead or whatever against ND w like 1-6 mins to go. So it took us 5 secs to get over midcourt, then JB took at air out of the ball w G from the 30 sec mark to the 10 sec mark. Now strategically it was smart by JB but Its just a waste of time and kind of painful to watch for me, i mean its just 20 seconds of nothingness

Last edited:
Why can't college ball just go directly to international rules? If I'm not mistaken, they allow a zone (in the sense that a Center can park in the lane) and have a shorter shot clock. Seems logical to me

btw, Stephen A. Smith is garbage

and yet many find the nba unwatchable

If you want to watch the best bball in the world, tune in for the NBA playoffs.

The OKC/Portland game last night was one of the best of the year, and Durant didnt even play. Think about that.

Bilas made the case about officiating and that it was one of the major problems: "organized fouling"
To me the guys that are hurting college ball are guys like JDixon and Buzz (even tho theres much i like about Buzz) ; BStevens was the same way. They have their players just assault guys like Rak. I remember literally Buzz would have his kids try to cave in Keitas knees from behind. This crap would never fly in the nba because you cant touch someones superstars. My guess is Brad Stevens will struggle in the nba

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom