Stewart-Ward video | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Stewart-Ward video

Cuseregular said:
at full speed you're right, at the start at low speeds the visual fields are much better.

You been in one of those cars?

CuseTroop said:
You been in one of those cars?
The reason i ask, is those wings dont move based on speed. From the looks of that track, it's slick.. I want as much power to my right rear as possible. I'd have that wing pointed straight down.

Last edited:
image-3378340742.jpg
CuseTroop said:
The reason i ask, is those wings done move based on speed. From the looks of that track, it's slick.. I want as much power to my right rear as possible. I'd have that wing pointed straight down.

For my credibility this was my first race car, at 12 years old

image-3378340742.jpg

Last edited:
Cuseregular said:
at full speed you're right, at the start at low speeds the visual fields are much better.

I'm gonna admit, I'm a little drunk, we went boating. Just before I go to bed, I though of this quote, and couldn't help but use it.

"Well you don't know your business" -JB

Just kidding brotha

Idk. That was hilarious to me. I have a calzone

I'm gonna admit, I'm a little drunk, we went boating. Just before I go to bed, I though of this quote, and couldn't help but use it.

"Well you don't know your business" -JB

Just kidding brotha

Idk. That was hilarious to me. I have a calzone
its all good bud. Was referring to the video in that clip how at lower speed (at the start of the clip) you can see better up ahead of you and to the right where Ward was as the cars came upon him at a lower speed vs. going fast later in the clip less so due to the reasons you point out

Eh, you earn the benefit of the doubt in these things if you're a public figure. If you keep running around spazzing out, acting like a nutjob, and you've threatened to run people over, when you actually run someone over - well, people are gonna naturally say, "well, this is the type of guy that just might have run someone over."

Nobody actually knows anything obviously - but, as far as Stewart is concerned, you made your own bed - now lie in it.

Collin Cowherd had the same take as me today and is now getting death threats from NASCAR fans. Made another interesting point about how the rest of the drivers missed Ward no problem (much like the father Kevin Ward, Sr announced today that other drivers had no problem missing him), and that you have to take into account Stewarts past history in the assessment of this. His basic point was that Stewart bears at least some responsibility in this and the NASCAR nation is innapproprietly circling the wagons at all levels. That was today.

This is from monday:
http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303/2117/7149/2282338/thunderingherd_2014-08-11-135238-7744-0-10-0.48b.mp3?cdn_id=33&uuid=827f02030394715462887f2da9bf68a9&referer=http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2799707

Last edited:
Collin Cowherd had the same take as me today and is now getting death threats from NASCAR fans. Made another interesting point about how the rest of the drivers missed Ward no problem (much like the father Kevin Ward, Sr announced today that other drivers had no problem missing him), and that you have to take into account Stewarts past history in the assessment of this. His basic point was that Stewart bears at least some responsibility in this and the NASCAR nation is innapproprietly circling the wagons at all levels. That was today.

This is from monday:
http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303/2117/7149/2282338/thunderingherd_2014-08-11-135238-7744-0-10-0.48b.mp3?cdn_id=33&uuid=827f02030394715462887f2da9bf68a9&referer=http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2799707

There was only one other driver between Ward and Stewart when Ward got down to that level and he was not as close to Ward as Stewart was, in part because Ward was advancing toward Stewart's car.

I'm not sure having Colin Cowherd have the same take is helpful.

Cowherd is a hack. He is like a poor man's version of Stephen A. Smith. Only not dressed as nice.

This is from monday:

The death threat thing has always been weird to me. I don't understand it. That said Cowherd is like every other blowhard out there who knows absolutely nothing about racing trying to get ratings from the tragedy.

Last edited:
The death threat thing is always been weird to me. I don't understand it. That said Cowherd is like every other blowhard out there who knows absolutely nothing about racing trying to get ratings from the tragedy.
that's why he had some NASCAR expert on to talk about the culture, he commented not only of NASCAR but of the south in general...which has brought out a lot of whack jobs. It's worth a listen to, pretty reasonable (the culture part) and accurate IMO.

Just listened to it and have to say I was pretty underwhelmed. The whole culture things ignores the millions of fans not located in the south. Upstate NY is full of them. The Midwest is full of them. The southwest as well. NASCAR may have originated from bootleggers in the south but it is a country wide sport at this point. They just had 90k plus in Watkins Glen last week for a road course of all things. That is more than the Bills get on an average Sunday.

His take on the death penalty was an interesting point. I wonder if that boils down to having more catholics vs. protestants? In my limited and biased experience it does seem like evangelicals are more eye for an eye where as catholics and episcopalians are against the DP.

Just listened to it and have to say I was pretty underwhelmed. The whole culture things ignores the millions of fans not located in the south. Upstate NY is full of them. The Midwest is full of them. The southwest as well. NASCAR may have originated from bootleggers in the south but it is a country wide sport at this point. They just had 90k plus in Watkins Glen last week for a road course of all things. That is more than the Bills get on an average Sunday.

His take on the death penalty was an interesting point. I wonder if that boils down to having more catholics vs. protestants? In my limited and biased experience it does seem like evangelicals are more eye for an eye where as catholics and episcopalians are against the DP.
he addresses your point in paragraph one in today podcast:

http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303...n.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2799707

Again I agree with him. Completely. No one can deny it's mostly a southern thing, founded in the south, most popular in the south. Listen to his Stanford analogy. Makes sense.

There was only one other driver between Ward and Stewart when Ward got down to that level and he was not as close to Ward as Stewart was, in part because Ward was advancing toward Stewart's car.

so you disagree with his main point

I thought you were a smart guy. So with your comment you're inferring that you disagree with his main point and you're saying that you don't believe that Stewart has any culpability/responsibility in this situation? Really?

And you're mostly off too inferring/insinuating with the meat of your post that the fathers comments have no basis in fact as well, or have any validity because that's what you're essentially saying. I'd suggest you watch it again. Watch as virtually every racer goes by him after the initial incident taking a lower line as they're supposed to do after an accident. This while Stewart took the higher line which is what the father is referring to. Combine that with the dumb kid walking down on the track and you have disaster.

Had Stewart taken the low line that the other drivers took, even with the kid walking on the track, he'd probably be alive today. I'm hard pressed to believe that the great expert NASCAR driver can't take the lower line while the weekend warriors seem to do the right thing.

In your attempt to muckrake you're losing sight of the basic facts. Are you a Tony Stewart fan or something?

Last edited:

I thought you were a smart guy. So with your comment you're inferring that you disagree with his main point and you're saying that you don't believe that Stewart has any culpability/responsibility in this situation? Really?

And you're mostly off too inferring/insinuating with the meat of your post that the fathers comments have no basis in fact as well, or have any validity because that's what you're essentially saying. I'd suggest you watch it again. Watch as virtually every racer goes by him after the initial incident taking a lower line as they're supposed to do after an accident. This while Stewart took the higher line which is what the father is referring to. Combine that with the dumb kid walking down on the track and you have disaster.

Had Stewart taken the low line that the other drivers took, even with the kid walking on the track, he'd probably be alive today. I'm hard pressed to believe that the great expert NASCAR driver can't take the lower line while the weekend warriors seem to do the right thing.

In your attempt to muckrake you're losing sight of the basic facts. Are you a Tony Stewart fan or something?

I know in america we love a good scandal and the media loves to build stories up but sometimes an accident is just accident. Not everything is a nefarious plot. I have no doubt that the Ontario County sheriff's office will get to the bottom of it.

I know in america we love a good scandal and the media loves to build stories up but sometimes an accident is just accident. Not everything is a nefarious plot. I have no doubt that the Ontario County sheriff's office will get to the bottom of it.
no doubt, think you're right they'll consult with guys who really know the details of these cars and have a better insight into things. That's what I've been doing as one of the unique parts of my job is the diversity of people I work with and treat. Two are DIRT drivers and boy are they conflicted because they liked TS a lot or at least respected him. Some day I'll share their thoughts. The fact that they leave the door open even a little to placing blame on Stewart mean he's at least partially culpable in my eyes.

I'd like to see that 2nd video... I think with just seeing the first video, there is no way to 100% say what happened.. Both sides have great arguments.

I just think with everything going on during a caution, and the kid being on a dimly lit track, approaching a fast moving car, that it's very easy to chalk this up as an unfortunate accident. Yea, all the other cars missed him, but he wasent actively searching for anyone elses car.

Idk.. Maybe I just want to give someone the benefit of the doubt that they wouldnt purposely run another person over with a stock car. But these days.. who knows anymore

There isn't really any bottom to get to. Either Tony Stewart says he was trying to hit him, or buzz him, or he says he wasn't. You can't really attribute any sort of motivation to him.

It just feels funny - like when Goose and Maverick used to buzz the tower. If one day they hit that tower, and then said it was low visibility, so they couldn't see it - well, I'm assuming they didn't hit the tower on purpose, but they were probably trying to buzz it and efffed up.

"Tower, this is Ghost Rider requesting a fly by..."

Or maybe akin to some pitcher that talks about getting payback, then hits someone in the face injuring him. Yeah, they can say it's an accident, but I'm going to remain skeptical.

This guy seems like he straddles that fence with his anger issues - so not really giving him the benefit of the doubt here. I can't really see punishing him......I don't know if he's actually the best driver out there, but if he is, and he happens to hit the same guy twice in two laps...well, whatever. He can live with it.

I started out just looking at the video and accessing blame 50-50. As I've heard and read more and more from people with a greater knowledge of racing that I have, (I'm not an aficionado, just a general sports fan), I've moved that to at least 90-10 with Ward the 90. And that's conservative. What really tipped the scales for me was that video of what it looks like from within the car when the downforce screen is attached to it. I think there's a real issue here of the way they constrict visibility. I was also impressed by the video on how these cars are driven and Cuceincincy's explanation that may Stewart have been turning toward Ward at the last second to avoid him because these cars normally go sideways in the turns and he wanted that not to happen so the back end of his car wouldn't hit Ward.

Whether I'm smart is for others to judge. I'd barely heard of Tony Stewart before this incident. It will be interesting to hear Stewart's side of this, which he no doubt will have to present in some kind of public forum.

as someone said there are a ton of things to be looking at under caution and a person walking is not one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom