Still want to scrap the zone under JB? | Syracusefan.com

Still want to scrap the zone under JB?

IT'S NOT BLACK AND WHITE.

It's called change the d when it ISNT WORKING.

It's working today. It's dominating today.

This isn't hard to understand yet some don't, somehow.

Amazing effort so far.
^

Amazing effort so far.
All good points!! Except i think it IS fairly black and white to the one guy that counts...

Or maybe they worked their asses off on the zone and it's finally clicking. Can you imagine what would've happened if we went to man? I don't want to even think about it. Sticking to what you know and perfecting it, most of the time, will be better than changing mid stream in January to something new.

I will eat my large slice of humble pie. When your wrong you eat it or I am not consistent.
The D was improved by switching #1 to #4.

We cut off a bad apple and the tree is good.
I didn't think it would be this easy but it has these last 2 games.

I will eat my large slice of humble pie. When your wrong you eat it or I am not consistent.
The D was improved by switching #1 to #4.

We cut off a bad apple and the tree is good.
I didn't think it would be this easy but it has these last 2 games.
Just curious, what do you mean- "switching #1 to #4"?

Amazing effort so far.
I'm fine with zone 100% of the time. It's not a tavern league zone. Adjustments are made. If it's not working then they just aren't good at defense and man-to-man wouldn't work either.

Never thought the D was the problem with this team/JBs coaching
The defense was precisely the problem; they weren't executing it until the Miami game.

The defense was precisely the problem; they weren't executing it until the Miami game.
Agree but it was/has been both ends. Boeheim said after literally every game up to the last few losses that the offense is usually always the reason for losses.

Pitt missed everything in the first half - literally everything - bunnies - even a wide open dunk - and the two kids average 20 points each - but the defense was decent today and great against Miami - Battle really looks good on defense

Amazing effort so far.

As you say it's a matter of effort. If players don't give the effort, does it matter what defense one plays? If it's a matter of scheme that's one thing but JB's zone changes, morphs, challenges , contracts and extends when faced with different offensive schemes and executed properly. It's not the old rec zone many are familiar with and not the zone this team was playing before Miami. It's not an easy defense to "plug 'n play". The problem has been execution not scheme. I would like to see us find an effective pressing defense to compliment the zone though.

As you say it's a matter of effort. If players don't give the effort, does it matter what defense one plays? If it's a matter of scheme that's one thing but JB's zone changes, morphs, challenges , contracts and extends when faced with different offensive schemes. It's not the old rec zone many are familiar with and not the zone this team was playing before Miami.
Which is why we've stayed in it since miami. Because it's working.

fans up. fans down.fans up...
A5sinecurve.jpg

what's next ?

I have no opinion one way or the other, but good defense is good defense.

Watching BC against Duke here and they have now gone about 4-40 from three the past 2 games since shredding us.

The biggest difference in the zone the last two games is three-fold:

• 33 or so minutes of Lydon in the center spot. The defense operates most effectively with him here (and did last year during our tourney run) because of his ability to quickly close out on passes or drives to the high post, putting pressure on the ball, while still being able to alter/block shots at the rim.
  • Lydon at the 5 allows Roberson to play minutes at the 4, improving the range and trapping ability of both wings defensively (with White at the 3) and the rebounding.
  • A LOT of missed opportunities by our opponents. Miami didn't have the shooters to shoot over the zone, and they lacked the perimeter ball-handling to attack the gaps the way other teams have done to dismantle it. Pitt missed TONS of shots and had several unforced errors early in the game, which dug a hole out of which they could never climb.
Credit our players for taking advantage of these factors. Credit our coaches for finally realizing where Lydon should spend his minutes and for re-inserting Roberson into the rotation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom