Storming the court | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Storming the court

Is it ok to storm the court?

• We’re Syracuse. Such tomfoolery is beneath us as a program.

Votes: 24 16.9%
  • It’s ok but only if we knock off a top five (or top one) program

Votes: 78 54.9%
  • F@&$ YES YOLOOOOOOO

Votes: 40 28.2%

• Total voters
As someone who court-stormed in our mid-2000s wins over Georgetown, I think it should be outlawed. Not from a puritanical “that’s below us/don’t devalue your win like that” angle that always comes from people who take sports way too seriously, but the safety risks can’t be overlooked.

As someone who court-stormed in our mid-2000s wins over Georgetown, I think it should be outlawed. Not from a puritanical “that’s below us/don’t devalue your win like that” angle that always comes from people who take sports way too seriously, but the safety risks can’t be overlooked.
If Flip is going to miss a game, because it is a Duke player, there will be rules put in place to end it. And there should be. You can't have visiting players hit, shoved, taunted, while trying to leave the court. Nothing good can come from it.

It’s on the visiting players and coaches to know that this is coming and get off the floor promptly. There’s not really any way to prevent court storms anyways. They’ve always been a thing, not sure why so much attention is on it recently.

Aside from all that, Flip pushed and tripped a fan before getting “injured”. He’s a baby

As I said in another thread, court storming is banned by the SEC and if your fans storm the school gets fined. That should be the rule.

And yes, I walked on the court after SU beat ODU in the 1977 ECAC playoff game, the third and actual storming of the SU v Pitt home game in 2003, and as close as I could get to the court in New Orleans.

the game was over. add 10 secs to the clock and the coaches agree to walk off before the crowd goes bonkers.. Still watching this replay had he just stood ther instead of flipping the one fan on his head maybe nothing happens?

Having watched a few court stormings on ice though bball has nothing on a hockey one.

In my opinion two things are true in light of the Wake Forest court storming today:

1. More rules should be in place to avoid incidents where fans/players come into contact via court storming.

2. Filipowski is a huge tool for initiating contact with a fan and then playing the victim.

In my opinion two things are true in light of the Wake Forest court storming today:

1. More rules should be in place to avoid incidents where fans/players come into contact via court storming.

2. Filipowski is a huge tool for initiating contact with a fan and then playing the victim.
Agree but players should have the right and the ability to get off the court if they don’t want to be involved in a court storming whether on the winning or the losing team. I remember Pearl after his half court winning shot against BC, running directly off the court to avoid the crowd storming. Some people are claustrophobic and the thought of being caught inside a rowdy crowd, is horrific. It has to be bad after a game trying to get safely across the court after a big loss. It’s not safe for either the winning less the losing team.

Agree but players should have the right and the ability to get off the court if they don’t want to be involved in a court storming whether on the winning or the losing team. I remember Pearl after his half court winning shot against BC, running directly off the court to avoid the crowd storming. Some people are claustrophobic and the thought of being caught inside a rowdy crowd, is horrific. It has to be bad after a game trying to get safely across the court after a big loss. It’s not safe for either the winning less the losing team.
You're absolutely right. That looked extremely dangerous from the video shown from above.

That shove by Filipowski was a really hard shove- hope that kid is okay. It’s just a dangerous situation all the way round. Wait just around 90 seconds or so after the buzzer to keep the crowd off the court and allow time for the players to get off the court.

As I said in another thread, court storming is banned by the SEC and if your fans storm the school gets fined. That should be the rule.

And yes, I walked on the court after SU beat ODU in the 1977 ECAC playoff game, the third and actual storming of the SU v Pitt home game in 2003, and as close as I could get to the court in New Orleans.
That doesn’t stop court stormings from happening in the SEC

That shove by Filipowski was a really hard shove- hope that kid is okay. It’s just a dangerous situation all the way round. Wait just around 90 seconds or so after the buzzer to keep the crowd off the court and allow time for the players to get off the court.
Yeah I guess they could in theory say after the handshake line is over, but man does that ruin the energy and promptness of a court storm. It’s supposed to be chaotic, or else it wouldn’t be called a storm after all

That doesn’t stop court stormings from happening in the SEC
They are discussing moving the offending team’s next home game to a neutral site if it occurs. I guess it’s a sore point for me after our next door neighbor’s son was crushed by both his high school teammates and fans in a field storming celebration when he scored the winning touchdown in the last seconds of a game. He suffered a horrific compound fracture of his leg that ended his football career at 16. His recovery was brutal and long. He was a 2 sport starter in both football and basketball as a soph, was able to play basketball for his senior year but was never the same.

If players become actual employees , I wonder what protections are required by an employer to protect their employees from injury?

Did any of you actually look at the footage? Not see it, but look at it? To me, it appears he forearm shivers someone running around him. They fly off of their feet. As they're falling down, their feet hit is lower body. I'm not saying court storming is safe. I agree it should be managed somehow when the court storm is warranted (knocking off #1 Team in the country).

Did any of you actually look at the footage? Not see it, but look at it? To me, it appears he forearm shivers someone running around him. They fly off of their feet. As they're falling down, their feet hit is lower body. I'm not saying court storming is safe. I agree it should be managed somehow when the court storm is warranted (knocking off #1 Team in the country).
He initiated the first contact, to hell with him. Screw Duke

i can just imagine how the narrative here would "flip" if we lost a POY candidate or any starter to a court storming. don't know the extent of the injury if any. but visiting players should be allowed the space to safely exit the court regardless who initiates any contact. if that means delaying the rush til the opposition is off the court then so be it. fines don't really work. but losing a home game seems apt punishment. hey i'm no buzz kill but be prudent here. we don't want ANYBODY ever injured in a victory celebration. fan or player. ever.

(i realize this is a bizarro world scenario fans storm the court after beating SU)

Last edited:
Imagine being a visiting player on the court during a storming.
It has to be terrifying.
It should be banned.

But the only ways to enforce it are to have a ridiculous number of security people surrounding the court or mandate that a court storming causes an automatic forfeit for the fans' team...reversing the outcome of the game.
And who wants that?

New angle on the Filipowski injury:

Court storming is awesome but we also need a way to clear the floor of opposition players first.
I mean all these arenas employ security you just need to have them do their jobs and tell the kids to wait. Not sure how that Wake one was a top 5 all time most violent court storms but it was over the top the first 40 or so kids were ridiculous sprinting like that at the opponents.

You can only get on the court that quickly if there are zero security guards doing there job and telling the kids to wait.

Court storming is awesome but we also need a way to clear the floor of opposition players first.
Agreed. That is why the security working at the dome did a great job during our UNC game. They told us before the game that if we won, we were allowed to storm. They were prepared and had a plan in place. There were only a few controlled entry places to the court and all of the players and coaches of UNC were able to stay safe. Great experience when safety was a priority.

That game was at ODU. We stormed the court down there?

Imagine being a visiting player on the court during a storming.
It has to be terrifying.
It should be banned.

But the only ways to enforce it are to have a ridiculous number of security people surrounding the court or mandate that a court storming causes an automatic forfeit for the fans' team...reversing the outcome of the game.
And who wants that?

New angle on the Filipowski injury:
That's an incredibly deceiving video. Back it up a few seconds and you see the Duke player shove and trip a guy running past him. THAT'S why he spun around and got hurt.

Regardless, schools and networks have glorified court storming for decades. It's a prime component of every highlight video.

All the hand wringing now is so silly, particularly from the usual suspects in the "kids are so soft today" contingent.

Just get the players off the floor more rapidly. It's not rocket science, staffs manage to do it all the time. Just because Duke's is lousy at it doesn't mean the fun should be ruined for everyone else.

That game was at ODU. We stormed the court down there?
Me and about 3 other SU fans. We were a very vocal but small minority. It was actually played at a neutral site arena. And it was more like we were on the court when SU was acknowledged as ECAC champs.

Haha. My kids think I stormed the court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom