Storming the court | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Storming the court

Is it ok to storm the court?

• We’re Syracuse. Such tomfoolery is beneath us as a program.

Votes: 24 16.9%
  • It’s ok but only if we knock off a top five (or top one) program

Votes: 78 54.9%
  • F@&$ YES YOLOOOOOOO

Votes: 40 28.2%

• Total voters
It’s dangerous 100% and flip was also engaging when he could have side stepped. Both can be true.

Could it be that he'd already twisted his knee and decided he had to fight off the fans to get off the court because he couldn't make it off before they reached him?

Bessie Braddock (Member of Parliament): “Winston, you are drunk, and what’s more you are disgustingly drunk.”

Churchill: “Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.”

Lady Astor: "Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your tea!"

WC: "Madame, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

Yeah and they generally look like this:

I always liked them, but Saturday wasn't right IMO. Guys should be able to get off the court.

I don’t disagree with that. If we’re going to have court stormings there needs to be some plans in place to delay them 20 seconds or so and ensure players get off the floor.

I just don’t think Filipowski acted appropriately either. Both Wake students and Filipowski can be in the wrong, which I think was the case on Saturday.

A few disjointed thoughts...

-Not analogous to football, that field is huge.
-This stuff has been happening forever, and seemingly fine (but maybe not)
-Flip just burned 2 hours on the court, had a bizarre ending, and suddenly was in the middle of waves of people coming at him. People aren't being truthful if many wouldn't have done what he did to protect himself.
-Also looked like Wake had students coming from both directions. With us at least the kids come from one side far away from the visitors tunnel.

Kudos! As true of words as ever spoken on here.

Lady Astor: "Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your tea!"

WC: "Madame, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
Let's continue to take this thread to unexpected places.

Calm down, I don't speak woke.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Was just thinking that it’s interesting that NBA, NFL etc teams who have rabid fans have pretty much prevented any mass field, court stormings. Fear of arrest? Pro teams fear of liability?? Older fans for the most part???
I would imagine security has to be a huge issue that they have figured how to be pretty successful at somehow. Pro fans certainly celebrate but they seem to accept the expectation for the most part that they stay off the field, the court. Just a random thought.
Pro teams don’t have student sections , that’s one factor, especially NBA (indoor). I think football stormings aren’t that bad, there is enough space out there that if you desire you can get out of the way. Hockey is controlled because of the glass. Unless your the early 70s Syracuse Blazers who seemed to have no problem getting over the glass in a reverse court stormings.

Pro teams don’t have student sections , that’s one factor, especially NBA (indoor). I think football stormings aren’t that bad, there is enough space out there that if you desire you can get out of the way. Hockey is controlled because of the glass. Unless your the early 70s Syracuse Blazers who seemed to have no problem getting over the glass in a reverse court stormings.

Not only no student sections, think about what an NBA regular season win means -- its not that big of a deal if there is an "upset". Also, the people with floor access at an NBA game, let's be honest, are sitting in seats that can easily be in the thousands/tens of thousands of dollars. Not exactly the same types at college games that are students who probably were doing morning jello shots before coming to the game.

Finally, NBA players are paid gajillions of dollars. You better believe that NBA teams would and do absolutely protect their players on the floor.

They should focus on protecting the teams and getting them off the court. I'm fine if they want to fine the storming school, but how much do you make it for basketball? $100k? $250k? $500k?

What happens if some random mid major does it and can't take a hit like that and sustain its program?

The Blazers could get over the glass to reverse court storm because salt potatoes give hockey players mad ups.

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

I don't know why coaches aren't smarter and more strategic when it comes to removing their players from the court in advance of a storming. I remember Roy Williams and Coach K often times with like 10-15 seconds left would yell at their players to quickly run off the court to avoid any contact with the incoming students. And then they sometimes would wave to the opposing coach letting them know they're going to forego the handshake line in the interest of everyone's safety (which is perfectly understandable). Sometimes I feel like players of the losing team don't want to be seen as soft or being rushed off so they'll purposely walk very slow to the sideline.

This ought to be a responsibility of the various leagues. In the ACC, we have seen the difference in how, and how well, different schools handle this situation. The league could convene a virtual meeting of those individuals responsible for security/safety on-court at each of the member institutions. They could compare notes and come up with best practices, which could be adopted league-wide.

Sometimes I feel like players of the losing team don't want to be seen as soft or being rushed off so they'll purposely walk very slow to the sideline.
This is why I don't think the idea of letting the opposing team off the court and then letting the students orderly storm will work. If I just lost a heartbreaker, and I know the students can't rush the court until I'm gone, I'm gonna hang around...6 maybe 7 minutes.

Its a tradition to "storm" for big wins in College. Its just not a thing in pro sports, so no one even thinks about it. Just have to think back to the Kawhi game winner in game 7 in Toronto which is probably the biggest buzzer beater in recent years -- nobody even thought about it - its just not part of the thought process as a pro fan.

Also the student factor.

It was a tradition to storm the field in baseball…until baseball stopped it. It’s not a tradition anymore.

I suspect we’ll be able to make a similar video for college athletics in 25 years, explaining why the tradition of court storming stopped. No matter how upset people are getting about it - it looks like court storming is going to get eliminated reasonably soon.

Dang I didn’t even realize he absolutely was trying to trip and push that student. Yes it can be dangerous but also he engaged there and it backfired.
I think he was just trying to walk off quickly when he tripped. And the Wake student pushed him in the back into the other Wake student after that.

Why you are not banned for life from this board escapes me.
After years of laughably ridiculous posts culminating in losing a bet to never post again, he changed his handle in total shame and humiliation.

Or was that someone else?

After years of laughably ridiculous posts culminating in losing a bet to never post again, he changed his handle in total shame and humiliation.

Or was that someone else?
What a shock. Literally every word of that is untrue.

That being said, my post to Otto was a joke.
Lighten up Francis.

Are you aware of the fact that it’s not a real book? Or did you miss that somehow?
Hey, if you’re not going to use the sarcasm font, neither am I.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom