Storming the court | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Storming the court

Is it ok to storm the court?

• We’re Syracuse. Such tomfoolery is beneath us as a program.

Votes: 24 16.9%
  • It’s ok but only if we knock off a top five (or top one) program

Votes: 78 54.9%
  • F@&$ YES YOLOOOOOOO

Votes: 40 28.2%

• Total voters
"the marching band refused to yield "

i.jpeg

Attachments

• GettyImages-136964848-1000x667.jpg
    GettyImages-136964848-1000x667.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 24
I’ve stormed the “field” twice. Both times there were very serious injuries to people in my direct vicinity.

I really don’t care what these schools decide to do because it won’t impact me directly.

But, I do see this as one of those situations where it keeps being done because it’s within the fabric of the sport UNTIL something catastrophic happens that makes it abundantly clear that we can’t anymore.

This happens because there’s always an idiot, a psycho or an accident over long periods of data sets. Somebody will **** it up for everyone else.

I’ve stormed the “field” twice. Both times there were very serious injuries to people in my direct vicinity.

I really don’t care what these schools decide to do because it won’t impact me directly.

But, I do see this as one of those situations where it keeps being done because it’s within the fabric of the sport UNTIL something catastrophic happens that makes it abundantly clear that we can’t anymore.

This happens because there’s always an idiot, a psycho or an accident over long periods of data sets. Somebody will **** it up for everyone else.

I’ve watched an interesting phenomenon related to safety in industry for decades. If companies proactively identify risks and implement safety measures, people freak out that it’s a waste of time and money because nothing bad has ever happened. If an incident occurs and corrective measures are taken to prevent a reoccurrence, people freak out because action should have been taken sooner.

In summary, most people are short-sighted and stupid - and waiting for consensus isn’t a viable option as a result. I expect court storming will be banned, many people will freak out because nothing bad (or bad enough) has ever happened…and life will go on just like it always does in these kinds of situations.

I’ve watched an interesting phenomenon related to safety in industry for decades. If companies proactively identify risks and implement safety measures, people freak out that it’s a waste of time and money because nothing bad has ever happened. If an incident occurs and corrective measures are taken to prevent a reoccurrence, people freak out because action should have been taken sooner.

In summary, most people are short-sighted and stupid - and waiting for consensus isn’t a viable option as a result. I expect court storming will be banned, many people will freak out because nothing bad (or bad enough) has ever happened…and life will go on just like it always does in these kinds of situations.
As somebody who has spent the last 20 years in risk management, I concur. If they were to proactively ban it, that would be ideal from a safety perspective obviously.

And I’m not even thinking about the injuries from storming directly, I think about what happens when some crazy fan has a knife on them.

As somebody who has spent the last 20 years in risk management, I concur. If they were to proactively ban it, that would be ideal from a safety perspective obviously.

And I’m not even thinking about the injuries from storming directly, I think about what happens when some crazy fan has a knife on them.
My people! Let’s do a JSA on court storming. Or should we watch a few and identify all the near misses?

Are we trying to pretend that was a horrible pass because the students were waving their fingers?

Be better posters people.

You’re excessively charitable - I think the claim is the fans, sitting in their seats and waving their arms - are analogous to fans running onto the court. Which is beyond insane.

But if someone could demonstrate the students at Duke are seated closer to the court than at other venues, and that it’s closer than whatever was determined to be an appropriate distance, and then proposed Duke be forced to remove some of what they consider the student section (which, as an aside, wouldn’t come close to passing building codes if it was built today…) - I sincerely doubt anyone advocating court storming be eliminated on this board would be upset by that. Personally I’d be OK if Cameron was condemned and demo’ed.

Are we trying to pretend that was a horrible pass because the students were waving their fingers?

Be better posters people.
Three things

1) Those fans were invading that poor guy's personal space. He has the right to be on that floor devoid of fans being "all up in his grill".

2) The catastrophically injured Duke player somehow defied medical science and made a miraculous recovery to play in that game. Hero. Warrior.

3) It was a joke.

Three things

1) Those fans were invading that poor guy's personal space. He has the right to be on that floor devoid of fans being "all up in his grill".

2) The catastrophically injured Duke player somehow defied medical science and made a miraculous recovery to play in that game. Hero. Warrior.

3) It was a joke.

I’ve always thought fans (students) were absurdly close to the players at Dbag indoor stadium. It’s not like that anywhere else in p5.

Three things

3) It was a joke.
In response

1) the player didn’t seem the least bit concerned, or aware of, those fans

2) no one claimed he had a ‘catastrophic’ injury.

3) there is a font for sarcasm

The dude was in a coma for 3 days after the incident. Stop diminishing the recovery. Sheesh.

In response

1) the player didn’t seem the least bit concerned, or aware of, those fans

2) no one claimed he had a ‘catastrophic’ injury.

3) there is a font for sarcasm
Flip O’Duke was carried off the court and we’ve had an outcry for a week that court stormers should be prosecuted federally.

If he wasn’t hurt, then who cares? It’d be the 14,000th consecutive court storming where no one was hurt.

Flip O’Duke was carried off the court and we’ve had an outcry for a week that court stormers should be prosecuted federally.

If he wasn’t hurt, then who cares? It’d be the 14,000th consecutive court storming where no one was hurt.

It’s a fake problem.

If you want to address the issue? Totally fine. But let’s not act like it’s some pandemic.

Man, I like exaggeration for effect as much as the next guy, but this one is going a bit far.

He was helped off the court, not carried. I also didn’t see any calls for prosecution, let alone federal. But have at it.

Man, I like exaggeration for effect as much as the next guy, but this one is going a bit far.

He was helped off the court, not carried. I also didn’t see any calls for prosecution, let alone federal. But have at it.
But, there were definitely tears.

i would guess no-one here is a fan of throwing things on the court. so it seems hard to reconcile that a court storm is less dangerous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom