SU Admissions question | Syracusefan.com

SU Admissions question

David332

All American
What type of grades does a HS student typically need for admission? I ask because my oldest who is in 10th grade is interested.

Her average GPA is around 3.5. How important are standardized testing scores?

Last edited:
What type of grades does a HS student typically need for admission? I ask because my oldest who is in 10th grade is interested.

Thats a big mystery for a 10th grader. Current HS seniors dont need to submit scores at all, as it is test optional, but that may or may not be a long term thing.

My son is a HS junior and is considering applying. We just did "orange preview" weekend and got some of this info. They havent even decided if they will be required NEXT year. We will likely submit them either way as his scores are strong.

3.5 is probably in the ballpark although i think it varies by school within SU. Some, like Newhouse, I think they have a higher requirement than others.

It really depends on what school (ie. Newhouse, Falk, Whitman etc.) she wants to apply to.

Entrance criteria will vary based on school.

What you see on standard websites is for Arts & Sciences.

Not sure which school but the major would be creative writing.

Here is one list of top programs. You can find competitive admission requirements on the sites. Back in the day when I taught SAT prep for the Princeton Review, the general consensus was that admissions were based upon: grades 25%, test score 25%, Extracurricular, community, recommendations, etc. were the other 50%
With schools de-emphasizing/dropping testing, I don’t know how it works now.

I have no knowledge about SU. However, admissions requirements have been getting more lax as schools want to make it able to have a diverse incoming student population.

IDK about SU, but schools are devaluing/eliminating SATs/ACTs etc... I will let you do your own Google search on why that is (it's a political mess and a touchy subject that I don't want to start anything on).

As a faculty member though, who admissions admits is a wonder to all of us. They have their targets for demographics, grades, etc... For example, the department may say that they can support N incoming students. Admissions always admits N + 10-30% and just says deal with it.

I have no knowledge about SU. However, admissions requirements have been getting more lax as schools want to make it able to have a diverse incoming student population.

IDK about SU, but schools are devaluing/eliminating SATs/ACTs etc... I will let you do your own Google search on why that is (it's a political mess and a touchy subject that I don't want to start anything on).

As a faculty member though, who admissions admits is a wonder to all of us. They have their targets for demographics, grades, etc... For example, the department may say that they can support N incoming students. Admissions always admits N + 10-30% and just says deal with it.
The upcoming SCOTUS case will likely eliminate race/gender based admissions preferences, especially at state colleges.

The upcoming SCOTUS case will likely eliminate race/gender based admissions preferences, especially at state colleges.
In NYS, the entire college admissions scandal has had huge impact on schools. This has essentially forced schools to spend MUCH more on their advertising/marketing budgets.

My son just found out he got in today. He had a 3.69 gpa. They were not mandating SAT or ACT so he did not even take them.

So he was measured on just his GPA and his essay.

My son just found out he got in today. He had a 3.69 gpa. They were not mandating SAT or ACT so he did not even take them.

This is very good information to know, thank you for this insight.

Nice my daughter is looking, is a year away. What school if you don't mind?

Side note.
For those kids who are great test takers it sort of sucks that test requirements are going away. It's a very small population, but there are some (I was one). Yes, optional means you can submit it, but it does take away from the impact some.

Well, my son's dream ended today. We finally got the finaid package. I looked at it briefly and saw 42k and thought cool, we can make that work. Then my son pointed out that was PER semester. His total cost of attendance per year is 84k. We are by no means poor but we are not wealthy either. Asking 30k for tuition alone per semester is freaking insane!

His heart is broken. He made backup plans for state schools but they were just that, back ups. I feel so bad for the kid.

Last edited:
Well, my son's dream ended today. We finally got the finaid package. I looked at it briefly and saw 42k and thought cool, we can make that work. Then my son pointed out that was PER semester. His total cost of attendance per year is 84k. We are by no means poor but we are not wealthy either. Asking 30k for tuition alone per semester is freaking insane!

His heart is broken. He made backup plans for state schools but they were just that, back ups. I feel so bad for the kid.
Sorry man. Tough to see our kids disappointed.

But that’s insane.

Sorry man. Tough to see our kids disappointed.

But that’s insane.

Thanks.

He has put all his gear away for now, lol. He will eventually get over it. With the number being so large it at least made it super clear there was no way forward and removed all the what if's.

Thanks.

He has put all his gear away for now, lol. He will eventually get over it. With the number being so large it at least made it super clear there was no way forward and removed all the what if's.
I’ve heard all these stories about there being so much grant and scholarship money available at the private schools, but I’ve not seen it. Except friends who are separated but not divorced, in order to access police union benefits, that chose not to include the wife’s salary on the FAFSA. She makes way more than her drunk loser ex, but they only pay 20k a year to send their kid to RPI.

And yeah, I realize that likely doesn’t help you.

I’ve heard all these stories about there being so much grant and scholarship money available at the private schools, but I’ve not seen it. Except friends who are separated but not divorced, in order to access police union benefits, that chose not to include the wife’s salary on the FAFSA. She makes way more than her drunk loser ex, but they only pay 20k a year to send their kid to RPI.

yeah it is strange, My daughter got into BC, Syracuse and UVM. BC offered basically nothing, Syracuse a bit more than basically nothing and UVM a considerable academic scholarship as long as she maintained a 3.0. The numbers were staggering. I left it up to her for the most part and she is at UVM. Loves it btw. and yeah I get it BC is a lot tougher to get into and regarded higher, Syracuse has some strong schools one of which she was admitted for but the $ just gets ridiculous.

Saved my wife and I a ton of money

I remember when I was applying to colleges my father had just died a year and a half earlier. He had the foresight to get mortgage insurance. Unfortunately when it came to financial aid packages, schools saw that our home was paid off and said that I didn't need the help. A widow trying to support 2 teenage kids on a Dunk & Bright salesperson's salary wasn't living high on the hog, believe me

Currently my eldest is at Rutgers and commuting. He looked at schools like SU and IC but they were cost prohibitive. My middle son is a junior in high school so I'm about to go through it all again. He hasn't started forming a list of schools, but I'm sure that there will be some tough conversations ahead. Meanwhile, had I just stayed in Georgia, my kids could basically go to college for free at any state school if they kept a 3.0 or above. Crazy.

That sounds like fraud.

Merit money is out there, but you have to "merit" it. A 3.7 for Syracuse is not going to get you there. You really need to be bringing something to the community to get the money. This could be great academics, athletics (i.e., recruited athlete), artist, etc., or sometimes you just fit a demographic need. At RPI, I assume just being female is big for admission. If merit's the goal, you have to recalibrate the type of school you want to go to. A 3.7 makes you really attractive at a lot of schools - hence more likely to obtain merit aid. At a school where you are not a guaranteed admission, merit will be almost nonexistent for you.

I suspect my child will be in the same boat as Guiness's - pretty good (3.7-3.8 out of 4.0), not great student. Parents well enough off to not qualify for financial aid, but not well enough off to be able to absorb $70k+ per year. The only thing demographically he has going for him is that he is bi-racial (Caucasian and Asian). That will help him at a lot of schools, but will actually also hurt him at some.

Thanks.

Best of luck to him wherever he ends up. There are a lot of great schools out there with much to offer. I'm sure he'll end up finding a great fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom