SU Admissions question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Admissions question

yeah it is strange, My daughter got into BC, Syracuse and UVM. BC offered basically nothing, Syracuse a bit more than basically nothing and UVM a considerable academic scholarship as long as she maintained a 3.0. The numbers were staggering. I left it up to her for the most part and she is at UVM. Loves it btw. and yeah I get it BC is a lot tougher to get into and regarded higher, Syracuse has some strong schools one of which she was admitted for but the $ just gets ridiculous.

Saved my wife and I a ton of money
She ever needs anything, you let me know. Seriously.

That sounds like fraud.

Merit money is out there, but you have to "merit" it. A 3.7 for Syracuse is not going to get you there. You really need to be bringing something to the community to get the money. This could be great academics, athletics (i.e., recruited athlete), artist, etc., or sometimes you just fit a demographic need. At RPI, I assume just being female is big for admission. If merit's the goal, you have to recalibrate the type of school you want to go to. A 3.7 makes you really attractive at a lot of schools - hence more likely to obtain merit aid. At a school where you are not a guaranteed admission, merit will be almost nonexistent for you.

I suspect my child will be in the same boat as Guiness's - pretty good (3.7-3.8 out of 4.0), not great student. Parents well enough off to not qualify for financial aid, but not well enough off to be able to absorb $70k+ per year. The only thing demographically he has going for him is that he is bi-racial (Caucasian and Asian). That will help him at a lot of schools, but will actually also hurt him at some.
I’m sure it is fraud.

My kid is a sophomore at UNH. He didn’t want to go to UVM because for kids around here it can feel like 13th grade. So we’re stuck playing full boat for now. His grades are good, he’s got a 3.83 cumulative so far so we’re hoping he gets a little something next year, plus he’s talking about being an RA possibly, which will help. But he’s our only so we’ll make it work either way.

I’m sure it is fraud.

My kid is a sophomore at UNH. He didn’t want to go to UVM because for kids around here it can feel like 13th grade. So we’re stuck playing full boat for now. His grades are good, he’s got a 3.83 cumulative so far so we’re hoping he gets a little something next year, plus he’s talking about being an RA possibly, which will help. But he’s our only so we’ll make it work either way.

Yeah that's how my kids feel about going to school in Ithaca, not really an option.

84K? to go to SU? I told the son of a friend when he was looking at SU, when 4 years would be roughly a quarter million, tell your Dad to write you a check for $250,000 and you'll make your way. These schools have created and are running one of the biggest scams in history.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom