SU Hoops Rollercoaster: A Recap Since 2013 | Syracusefan.com

SU Hoops Rollercoaster: A Recap Since 2013

OrangeYaGladi

2018-19 Iggies Hoops Regular Season/ACC Record
2013: Lose 2x to Gtown in regular season, including brutal "last matchup" in DC. Get another crack at Gtown in BET and knock them off. Shocking run to final 4
2014: 25-0 start, season comes crashing down, disappointing Round of 32 loss followed by unexpected departure of Ennis and Grant
2015: Weakest roster in years, NCAA investigation looms all season, sanctions announced. Loss of 12 scholarships and university self-imposes tournament ban. Serious concern that NCAA would impose a 2 year ban, but this was thankfully avoided. BJ & Patterson transfer.
2016: 9 scholarship players. Pick up Chukwu. Tyus Battle commits to Michigan, de-commits, commits to SU. SU wins appeal reducing scholarship ban to 8 schollies over 4 years. Then SU announces that NCAA will acknowledge self-imposed 3 scholly ban, meaning that only 5 scholarships will be docked over next 3 years (2 in 16-17, 2 in 17-18, 1 in 18-19). Up and down season, JB suspended mid-year. SU wins Atlantis, starts 0-4 conference play, wins 8 of 9, then loses 5 of 6, including 3x to Pitt and first round of ACC Tourney. BUT. SU gets fortunate on Selection Sunday (actually, SU was a lock--but the fans didn't know it).

Given where we were one year ago--banned from NCAA (and not tournament worthy, ban notwithstanding) and facing the prospect of a 10 scholly max for 4 years...It feels pretty good to be in the tournament, with promising returning core next year (Mal, Lydon, Howard, Roberson, Coleman), promising freshman (Battle, Moyer, Thompson (?) ) and only 5 more lost scholarships to endure.

What a ride.

Beat Dayton, get to 20 wins and this is a successful "rebuilding" season.

Agreed. This game makes or breaks this season as a fan. Win and get a chance to play MSU tough and this was a pretty great season all things considered. Lose and it would be a disappointment after the lifeline we were just thrown.

As for this year, it is hard to remember there were good spots that do matter. Winning the Atlantis was really pretty great and for me, it made my Thanksgiving holiday. And winning at Cameron for the first time was also a moment we'll always remember. Especially because it involved one of the all time great individual performances by a Syracuse player with Roberson's rebounding.

I could care less about a '20 win' season this year. I am thrilled they got in. Season is a success. Most of the year playing 6 guys and overcoming a roster with some major definciencies to be in this position is sort of amazing. I was disappointed with some of the collapses, bizarre/unacceptable turnovers, etc., the past few weeks and I truly don't ever know how we will play from game to game. Still, a new lease on life as they say.

As for this year, it is hard to remember there were good spots that do matter. Winning the Atlantis was really pretty great and for me, it made my Thanksgiving holiday. And winning at Cameron for the first time was also a moment we'll always remember. Especially because it involved one of the all time great individual performances by a Syracuse player with Roberson's rebounding.

To be able to throw down that one handed/left handed tomahawk off the lob was unbelievable. He just has to dial it in 100%. No excuse to make that play and then miss bunnies repeatedly.

2013: Lose 2x to Gtown in regular season, including brutal "last matchup" in DC. Get another crack at Gtown in BET and knock them off. Shocking run to final 4
2014: 25-0 start, season comes crashing down, disappointing Round of 32 loss followed by unexpected departure of Ennis and Grant
2015: Weakest roster in years, NCAA investigation looms all season, sanctions announced. Loss of 12 scholarships and university self-imposes tournament ban. Serious concern that NCAA would impose a 2 year ban, but this was thankfully avoided. BJ & Patterson transfer.
2016: 9 scholarship players. Pick up Chukwu. Tyus Battle commits to Michigan, de-commits, commits to SU. SU wins appeal reducing scholarship ban to 8 schollies over 4 years. Then SU announces that NCAA will acknowledge self-imposed 3 scholly ban, meaning that only 5 scholarships will be docked over next 3 years (2 in 16-17, 2 in 17-18, 1 in 18-19). Up and down season, JB suspended mid-year. SU wins Atlantis, starts 0-4 conference play, wins 8 of 9, then loses 5 of 6, including 3x to Pitt and first round of ACC Tourney. BUT. SU gets fortunate on Selection Sunday (actually, SU was a lock--but the fans didn't know it).

Given where we were one year ago--banned from NCAA (and not tournament worthy, ban notwithstanding) and facing the prospect of a 10 scholly max for 4 years...It feels pretty good to be in the tournament, with promising returning core next year (Mal, Lydon, Howard, Roberson, Coleman), promising freshman (Battle, Moyer, Thompson (?) ) and only 5 more lost scholarships to endure.

What a ride.

Lately it occurs to me...what a long, strange trip it's been! The Orange are Truckin!

Yeah if Cuse loses their 1st game, then we'll have to hear all the pundits say I told you so that they shouldn't be in the tourney.

So, just win dammit.
We can win the whole thing and Gottlieb would still be screaming we didn't deserve to be in the tourney...

You do love your music references, don't you? :cool:

Darned straight!! ...which reminds me, there was an excellent clip about how listening to music from back in the day can dramatically change the lives of Alz(boe)heimers patients when I was doing research for my grandfather's condition(also discovered coconut/mct oil). I havent found the video I'm thinking of yet, but this one is fairly short and will do. Also, if music does that for those folks, I imagine it may have similar functions in the rest of us! (Although one could also imagine that any neutral tool could be used as a means to many different ends, which could have something to do with the story of Lucifer being cast out of Heaven, which wasn't covered in the OP!)

What a succinct recap, OYG! Thank you!

Yes, I thought I'd go with brevity being it's what I'm known for on here, lol
wink.png

You actually just got me to go to urban dictionary to look up OYG. I'm guessing youre not literally a beadle?(another term you "forced" me to look up in the past
smile.png
)

Darned straight!! ...which reminds me, there was an excellent clip about how listening to music from back in the day can dramatically change the lives of Alz(boe)heimers patients when I was doing research for my grandfather's condition(also discovered coconut/mct oil). I havent found the video I'm thinking of yet, but this one is fairly short and will do. Also, if music does that for those folks, I imagine it may have similar functions in the rest of us! (Although one could also imagine that any neutral tool could be used as a means to many different ends, which could have something to do with the story of Lucifer being cast out of Heaven, which wasn't covered in the OP!)

Yes, I thought I'd go with brevity being it's what I'm known for on here, lol
wink.png

You actually just got me to go to urban dictionary to look up OYG. I'm guessing youre not literally a beadle?(another term you "forced" me to look up in the past
smile.png
)
OYG stands for OrangeYaGladdi, the OP! Ha ha ha ha!
:rolling:I gotcha, my friend!

I loved your clip and knew about how music affects people with Alzheimer's. Music definitely has the power to heal and renew. The vibration of music and communing with nature are both essential to our happiness, if not to our very existence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom