SU: So Little Concern About Tradition | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU: So Little Concern About Tradition

What exactly is tradition? Other than the few alternate orange jerseys we have worn, when has orange ever been THE main part of our uniform?
Tradition is usually attempting to associate the program with a successful era. For us, the most successful era would be the Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little/Larry Csonka years. A quick google search shows JB wearing all orange uniforms, while ED, FL, and LC wore uniforms with orange pants. I'm not suggesting that our uniforms should look like those, but we certainly have had orange as our primary uniform color during our history, and it makes sense to do it now. It could be used with new styles to appeal to recruits, and orange would definitely jump off a television screen more than dark blue.

P.S. Admins, would it make sense to move this to the football board? I'm not sure we have enough uniform threads over there. ;)

Last edited:
Tell you what, I'll make Darryl (and the others responsible for such decisions) a trade... give us back the ORANGEMEN and you can paint our jerseys pink if you want. Okay, that might be a bit extreme but discarding the OrangeMEN was a bad move in my mind. I always thought the Orangemen had a cool and unique ring to it. Now we are the Orange (for branding purposes) but have very little orange in our uniforms. Okay, makes perfect sense. :confused:

Oh yeah, and don't even get me started with Otto. He/she is such a damn fruit (in more ways than one).

I like Otto.