SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

Also, Coach Anae being of Samoan decent and a former offensive lineman will help draw more of those polynesian lineman that seem to always be really good.
Our most consistent OL's in recent memory when we had a HC (Marrone) who was a former OL coach and OLineman himself, and Adkins as OL Coach. So might be another good 1-2 punch forming here.

This is a somehat aside, but I recall duing a Va Tech game, the announcers were discussing the traditionally strong ST team play of the Hokies. The analyst in the booth pointed out that one way Frank Beamer emphasized ST was by coaching these units at the beginning of each practice, rather than the end, when most teams usually do it (when the players are fatigued both physically and mentally).

I actually got into a pissing match when I was coaching with a college tennis coach. We were debating when to coach skills and he used to run his players in to the ground and then expect them to be sharp while working on skills/fundamentals. If the goal is to toughen them up, ok but they aren’t honing their skills with that approach if that’s the point.

How much smoke is there on this, don’t want to get my hopes up to much. But am already excited at the prospect of them both.
Thamel report says targeted, hopefully that means negotiations stage, but as mentioned, we’re Syracuse fans and a tad shell shocked from the last month of football and hoops.

If this comes to pass, it would be a significantly stronger hire than I was anticipating. I do think they’ve been in conversations, or negotiations, for a couple of weeks. So I think the timing of the announcement or leak if you will may be indicative that we’re close.

This is well above the scope of anything we’ve really ever done in these situation’s.

All you could really ask for in my opinion.

Completely agree. I’ve been watching the program be a perennial loser for a long time. I continue to watch every game anyway. But I was wondering how committed we were (for right or wrong). This hire if it happens, especially both guys, tells me we are trying to win. I had the same feeling after Shafer and we got DB and that made me feel good about what we were trying to do.

Also, Coach Anae being of Samoan decent and a former offensive lineman will help draw more of those polynesian lineman that seem to always be really good.
Lol. Perhaps

Clemson has more $$$.

They get more analysts.

We can only afford anal.
60910115.jpg

Last edited:
How much smoke is there on this, don’t want to get my hopes up to much. But am already excited at the prospect of them both.

You wouldn’t be able to take a breath in your house

But until it’s official, it’s never official for example, last year with our DC situation

Good point. I have the same thoughts.
I hope not. Not because Beck is somehow a bad choice (I don’t know frankly), but who would want someone coming in who would benefit from the failure of the team. Not Dino. Not Wildhack. Counterintuitive.

I hope not. Not because Beck is somehow a bad choice (I don’t know frankly), but who would want someone coming in who would benefit from the failure of the team. Not Dino. Not Wildhack. Counterintuitive.
Retirement, not failure and would only happen if the team was successful.

“Benefit from failure” that’s a pretty grim assessment of someone’s character to think that could have any effect.

Last edited:
If it happens, wow, I'm back in 100%. Big boy hires.

But no one has asked - can they recruit? Seriously, what's their track record there? And how about Ligashesky? We need to come out of this with someone other than Monroe carrying all the water.

But no one has asked - can they recruit? Seriously, what's their track record there? And how about Ligashesky? We need to come out of this with someone other than Monroe carrying all the water.
I find it hard to believe that this would not significantly help recruiting on the offensive side of the ball. Right now WR's don't seem to want to play for our offense and god knows we haven't recruited the QB position well over the years. Especially with the portal this seems like it has the potential to get better players faster and improve the offense more immediately in regards to personnel.

More like they stopped at Bingham's off I-81 and are gaining 10lbs looking at that glorious menu

We can never drive by there without stopping.

This isn’t the place for it, but the idea that he’s not “fixed” a problem is the problem.

1. We’ve had success under Dino. The first three years were a steady improvement, culminating in a 10 win season.

2. “Fixing” assumes that our default spot in CFB is higher. I prefer “building”… and by that count you can say first 3 years B+ second 3 years C-. The 90’s ain’t coming back unless you build it. Maybe he can’t? Wildhack thinks he’s still got a chance.

3. The DC and OL hires are building towards something. A great RB and a a QB that has something to be built on. 3 games lost on the final play, one goes the other direction and the narrative is very different (it’s dumb that this is true). And now some light on the OC side of things? Building.

4. Finally. These UVA guys aren’t even hired yet and you’re all “if our offense is terrible not sure we want them long term” lol
All reasonable takes. I'm personally done with steady improvement/building towards something/fixing word salads. The team has been to one bowl in 6 years under Dino. One. There is nothing in that body of work that suggests we're still working towards something. It hasn't worked.

Now, there may be a green shoot here with the addition of new offensive mindset. I have no choice but to be curious about how this will work out. I hope it works out amazingly well. The cynic in me, with how we botched a bowl appearance last year, is the most reasonable reaction one can have to this program.

I have no issue with Wildhack agreeing to bring Dino back. i had no issue with him firing him either. I'm indifferent to the trajectory of this program at this point. I will hold my nose/breath until i see tangible improvement from how we game plan, game manage, and keep guys healthy. I suspect the board is going to be very impatient if we come out of the gates less than successful.

Beck has a pretty good track record of recruiting QBs. He was recruiter for their last two starters.

Edit. Beck looks to be very good.

I looked at both of them on 247 and this is what they have

Last edited:
Our most consistent OL's in recent memory when we had a HC (Marrone) who was a former OL coach and OLineman himself, and Adkins as OL Coach. So might be another good 1-2 punch forming here.
Former Offensive linemen make the best OCs and HCs.