SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

I had to shovel 2” of fluff off the driveway the other day, because my blower wouldn’t start.

Later that day what was left melted, so there’s nearly none left.

About to be Jan and we still haven’t had appreciable snow yet.

The upside of climate change?

Some places at least in the short term might benefit. Apparently English wine is taking off.

Even living in the Adirondacks I’ve only used my snowblower once and that was to clear 3-4 inches of snow. The ground is barely covered. Last winter was a piece of cake too.

Somebody somewhere said that he was told he needed to fire his DC, and he refused, so he retired instead.

Take that with a pound of salt.

Also - by “retiring” he ended up getting all his guys canned.
But, it looks like the majority will land on their feet very quickly elsewhere.

I mean - assuming his former OC and QB Coach ever are officially announced at Syracuse.

Live look at Cuse fans waiting for the official announcement.

the simpsons GIF
He wasn't given an ultimatum. It was a complete bolt from the blue. The AD was probably going to sit down with him after the bowl game but hadn't said word one to him about it he before called her. He's been in coaching for 31 years straight(?) as a graduate assistant, position coach, DC, and HC and decided he needed a break.

That said, changes were needed to the defensive staff. That's how a team with an offense as good as ours lost probably 4 games. UNC was never forced to punt the whole game. (Wake didn't punt until the 4th Q, but we didn't score much). When we needed stops against BYU, Pitt, and VPI that could have changed the outcome of the game, we didn't make them. Maybe Bronco didn't want to face the prospect of letting people he brought across the country go? Only he knows that for sure.

Last edited:
I haven’t shoveled any snow yet and I don’t even know if my snowblower will start. Only worn my “heavy” jacket like twice. Don’t even know where my windshield scraper is. No hat and gloves yet. This winter is nothing so far. It’s been like an extended late fall.
We’re the new Virginia, she’s going to love it and feel right at home!

Absolutely excellent job by JW and DB getting this done. Very very excited about the program right now with the talent we return.

NOW GET A QB.

I mean. What QB wouldn't want to be with a top offense coaching pair with the one of the best RBs in the country in a Dome?

I haven’t shoveled any snow yet and I don’t even know if my snowblower will start. Only worn my “heavy” jacket like twice. Don’t even know where my windshield scraper is. No hat and gloves yet. This winter is nothing so far. It’s been like an extended late fall.

That's because I bought a snow blower for the first time in the fall. I told people in September that if you like snow you'll curse me, hate it and I'll be a god.

That's because I bought a snow blower for the first time in the fall. I told people in September that if you like snow you'll curse me, hate it and I'll be a god.
I recently got the house hard-wired and bought an 8000watt generator, ensuring that there will never, ever be a power outage in my neighborhood for generations to come.

All the “now just need a QB” talk would make one think Beck is walking in blindfolded. He and Anae know what we have here and probably think they can develop GS. He has an arm, though yes, sometimes wildly inaccurate. But that seems more on mechanics and communication/receivers. Wouldn’t be surprised he turns into more than an adequate passer, and we all know he can run. The rumors of his demise just may be greatly exaggerated.

They weren’t counting on bringing Armstrong, so it’s doubtful they’d be relying on some mystery portal QB transfer/savior. Now, of course QB depth is needed, but as also mentioned here, let’s not discount Morgan and Lamson just yet either.

Last edited:
So...do we think they are going to wait until next week to make the announcement or perhaps Dino wants to keep it quiet until after our 1st game to not give our opponent an advantage?
I believe SU has asked all employees to work at home if possible while the COVID flareup rages. Guessing the offices at SUAD are pretty much empty right now.

I think press coverage during this holiday period is also very spotty.

While we all want this confirmed ASAP, I bet the coaching staff and any recruits affected by this have all been told what is going on and we fans will get our chance to meet the new coaches on Monday.

All just speculation.

I believe SU has asked all employees to work at home if possible while the COVID flareup rages. Guessing the offices at SUAD are pretty much empty right now.

While we all want this confirmed ASAP, I bet the coaching staff and any recruits affected by this have all been told what is going on and we fans will get our chance to meet the new coaches on Monday.

All just speculation.
Agree. My guess is they’re waiting to hold a press conference with it vs something virtual. It’s a big holiday week too. It’s a done deal - if they can wait to announce till a better time for casual fans, it’s a good idea.

Yeah, I grew up and live in NJ and it is not at all like a real winter in Syracuse. I have never seen 200" of snow in NJ.
While Syracuse gets more snow on Average, my states highest mountain recorded 495 inches, once. State record is 14 feet in one month... lol. If its cold, it may as well be pretty. ;-)

They may also want to announce any more additions to the staff at the same time since I think they have one spot left .

Also Jaime beck appears to have been a pretty good soccer player in her own right at BYU so good on her a welcome addition to the community .

All just speculation.
Always the voice of reason.

There are a couple of posters here who can confirm this, but my understanding is that key recruits are aware of the OC/QB staff additions.

All the “now just need a QB” talk would make one think Beck is walking in blindfolded. He and Anae know what we have here and probably think they can develop GS. He has an arm, though yes, sometimes wildly inaccurate. But that seems more on mechanics and communication/receivers. Wouldn’t be surprised he turns into more than an adequate passer, and we all know he can run. The rumors of his demise just may be greatly exaggerated.

They weren’t counting on bringing Armstrong, so it’s doubtful they’d be relying on some mystery portal QB transfer/savior. Now, of course QB depth is needed, but as also mentioned here, let’s not discount Morgan and Lamson just yet either.
Sure, they can probably "make Shrader work". But Shrader's ceiling, even with all the talent around him, is probably 7 wins.

There are QBs in the portal that can get us more. If you're happy with Shrader you're aiming too low.

Really excited to see who we pursue in the transfer portal, now that Anae and Beck are here.

Two young UVA QBs in the transfer portal. Hoos that gave some info on them earlier in the thread. Curious if we'll pursue either.