SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

All the “now just need a QB” talk would make one think Beck is walking in blindfolded. He and Anae know what we have here and probably think they can develop GS. He has an arm, though yes, sometimes wildly inaccurate. But that seems more on mechanics and communication/receivers. Wouldn’t be surprised he turns into more than an adequate passer, and we all know he can run. The rumors of his demise just may be greatly exaggerated.

They weren’t counting on bringing Armstrong, so it’s doubtful they’d be relying on some mystery portal QB transfer/savior. Now, of course QB depth is needed, but as also mentioned here, let’s not discount Morgan and Lamson just yet either.

Could be but I would bet big money that we'll bring someone in from the portal. Either now or after Spring practices when there will be another wave of transfers. We only have 3 on scholarship. That's not good roster management.

Sure, they can probably "make Shrader work". But Shrader's ceiling, even with all the talent around him, is probably 7 wins.

There are QBs in the portal that can get us more. If you're happy with Shrader you're aiming too low.
What a crock, Jury remains out on this. Anyone being fair without an agenda would want to wait to see how he does after a full year+ in the system, experience, some coaching up etc before concluding this.

The guy laid it all out on the line this past year, played hurt with no quit, he showed enough heart, grit and moxie as well as ability to give the kid more respect than you and many others do, I’d be more inclined to say his ceiling is 10 wins based on what’s been shown so far and with the above factors in mind to come.

Last edited:
Sure, they can probably "make Shrader work". But Shrader's ceiling, even with all the talent around him, is probably 7 wins.

There are QBs in the portal that can get us more. If you're happy with Shrader you're aiming too low.
Yeah, we have an OC and QB coach that know what to do, + Tucker, and something usable in Shrader.

But if you add a more dynamic QB to that equation things can get nuts.

Could be but I would bet big money that we'll bring someone in from the portal. Either now or after Spring practices when there will be another wave of transfers. We only have 3 on scholarship. That's not good roster management.
Absolutely, 3 isn’t enough. And agree they’ll take a QB transfer. But to compete for the starting job like others - not with the understanding that Shrader must be replaced ASAP.

What a crock, Jury remains out on this. Anyone being fair without an agenda would want to wait to see how he does after a full year+ in the system, experience, some coaching up etc before concluding this.

The guy laid it all out on the line this past year, played hurt with no quit, so I saw enough heart as well as ability to give the kid more respect than you and many others do, I’d be more inclined to say he ceiling is 10 wins based on what’s been shown so far and with the above factors in mind.
In would add the the loss of a center that could snap the ball consistently, too. Losing Vet at center hurt the offense in more ways than one. Often, GS was salvaging bad snaps in the last three games, which alone was amazing as most QBs would not have been as successful. Regardless, timing was thrown off and handoffs and quick throws were removed from the plays, forcing GS to make lemonade from lemons.

The Anae/Beck hires still haven't been officially announced, correct?

What's the hold-up now that the Fenway Bowl was canceled on Sunday and Beck will not be coaching in it?

7C603AC1-5BF6-4771-9736-29D8A13B2F28.jpg
Well if it wasn’t official before Jaimie Becks Twitter….it certainly is now as she added an orange to the NY and is retweeting Syracuse Football stuff

The Anae/Beck hires still haven't been officially announced, correct?

What's the hold-up now that the Fenway Bowl was canceled on Sunday and Beck will not be coaching in it?
COVID, previously set schedule, travel plans, awaiting final contract signing, awaiting next powerball drawing etc, who knows?

COVID, previously set schedule, travel plans, awaiting final contract signing, awaiting next powerball drawing etc, who knows?

If it was done and dusted, surely they'd announce it??

They have to mine recruits in the portal.

Hopefully, it's just a timing of formalities thing, but the longer this goes unannounced, the more skeptical I get, LOL.

If it was done and dusted, surely they'd announce it??

They have to mine recruits in the portal.

Hopefully, it's just a timing of formalities thing, but the longer this goes unannounced, the more skeptical I get, LOL.
From Nate Mink’s article above:
There’s procedural red tape to finalize before the university formally announces the hirings.

But they’re coming.

i'm sure nate mink has good articles and is most likely a good journalist... but I had to unfollow him on twitter with how annoying he can be. Openly complains about having to cover the team. No thanks

We can't pass block and we don't have WRs. Even if we got a quality passing QB, the ceiling is 7 Ws.