SU v Hofstra/LeMoyne (scrimmage) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU v Hofstra/LeMoyne (scrimmage)

In my opinion when Desko saw the match up mismatches that Myles Jones created at Duke he wanted to find something comparable for SU. However Jones seems to be a once in a generation type of player. I can't think of any other player in college lacrosse like him.

Jim Brown ?

As much as Lane drives everyone crazy it's going to be hard to bump him off the 2 line. I'm almost shocked Desko put him on the 2 line to begin with. But the kid just has massive size and that clip from the scrimmage he looks like he's filled out in the upper body. Watch the team congratulate him after that shot, look at how much bigger he is than everyone around him. He towers over everybody. He's going to be imposing and a real boost on that 2nd line.

I'm going to be ever observant of Quinn. I've seen him play a bunch, he's real thick and fast but short. He never really overwhelmed me; ya know when you're watching teams play and you say to yourself 'holy sht who is that kid'. I was always surprised by how early we offered him and over his career I've just worried that he'll be like any other player at this level. I hope he has a great great career here but he might have to wait his turn.
I'm very interested in your comments on Quinn. Can you add some detail to your observations? What aspects of his play led to your skepticism? All I have are his videos which often mislead. In those he seemed to be able to dodge right and left, shoot both ways on the run and run through defenders.

Second, I have written about Lane much too often on other forums, but bear with me. Size generates expectations. He has not used his size well. His talents are shooting and passing, both of which serve him well on the EMO. His high center of gravity and very average agility reduce his effectiveness in any offensive six on six situation. We have long expected much too much of him due mainly to that often mentioned size.

Third, can anyone come up with an upperclassman to insert into the first middies. I think two freshmen and a sophomore on the first line are a long shot.

I'm very interested in your comments on Quinn. Can you add some detail to your observations? What aspects of his play led to your skepticism? All I have are his videos which often mislead. In those he seemed to be able to dodge right and left, shoot both ways on the run and run through defenders.

Second, I have written about Lane much too often on other forums, but bear with me. Size generates expectations. He has not used his size well. His talents are shooting and passing, both of which serve him well on the EMO. His high center of gravity and very average agility reduce his effectiveness in any offensive six on six situation. We have long expected much too much of him due mainly to that often mentioned size.

Third, can anyone come up with an upperclassman to insert into the first middies. I think two freshmen and a sophomore on the first line are a long shot.

Unless it changes for the Yale scrimmage it seems like its going to be Dearth, Trimbo and Dordevic as the 1st line. . Desko already tried Lane last year and Simmons is not a 1st mid line guy. The only other upper class option is Bomberry if they move him back. Guys like Carlin, McKinney and Ford are buried on the depth chart.

Let’s not jump the gun with line ups so soon! Quinn has everything he needs to be successful and don’t see him as just another player, as always we see players develop through out the season and we don’t usually see freshman break into the 1st or 2nd line until March. It’s going to be really exciting to see who steps up with such a young team and it will be fun seeing them get mins and see if they take the opportunity! At this point it’s down to the individual player and some need more time than others! I am excited to see Dordovic, Dearth and Curry in their offensive roles and also to see how players like Seebold, Murphy, Fernandez, Lauder and Quinn perform and develop. They all certainly saw mins in the Le Moyne game and seemed to respond well.

I’ll add my observations on Quinn from watching him play live in lake placid this summer. He played with the burning orange (mostly current/former cuse player) and he did nothing out of the ordinary. He looked ok and had decent skills but if you told me he played for Siena i wouldn’t have been shocked. Granted it was a summer tournament, but guys play to win up in LP. He looked small and at times timid in his surroundings. As opposed to Seebold and Casey Rogers who both looked comfortable playing with bigger, more seasoned players. Personally, I am stunned that Seebold isn’t in the starting lineup.

As for Lane, agree with you completely. Back in my day, Mike Smiley was a 6’7” defender out of west genny that everyone thought would have a big impact. He was a solid defended and had a very good senior year, but was stuck behind better players even thought he was an intimidating dude.

As for the upper class middies, they aren’t that good. That is why none of them have had much of an impact. And will never have a big impact.
The future is now at midfield. Wouldn’t be surprised to seem 5 of 7 middies that get run this season be freshmen or Sophs.

Can’t explain my observations on Quinn. It’s just one of those things. He was always the best player on the field out here in sectionII except when they got their butts kicked by Darien or whatever team in CT that was. Sometimes you see a player and you think “wow” as he jumps off the page, and other times you see players and you think “he’s good” but it’s not the wow part, nothing really separates them. And then a few times I watched him and he didn’t stand out much at all. I was never really able to gauge how his size would play out. There are plenty of 5-8 180 kids getting it done - Kyle Marr at Hopkins comes to mind, but he plays attack. Im not sure Quinn can be a big middie dodging threat tbd. Now this is only to say I didn’t expect him to see meaningful time as a freshman. When he’s a junior he could be night and day different. He’s a high IQ player and unselfish which makes a big difference. He’s been well coached through high school. Vorgang is an early 90’s Cortland grad.

Lane - I think basically they took a big athletic kid and tried to make him a lacrosse player and it didn’t quite work out the way they’d hoped. Oh well. I do think he’ll step up on the 2nd line this year and be a threat. I think he’ll have a good year.

For what it’s worth the team seems on the surface to really enjoy each other and get along. Not sure if it is a good or bad thing but our team doesn’t seem to have any on edge guys. There have been some really cocky players me first players in prior years. Our guys have a quiet confidence to them. Well at least on offense.

At defense we have some guys who seem very emotionally charged which I think is a good thing. Fusco, Bomberry, and Mellon seem to have that streak. I can’t wait for this season to start.

So, why doesn't Desko run Lane at attack? Park him in front of the net and dare defensemen to move him. Unless he doesn't have the stick skills.
Agree with Jeremy that the ship has sailed for Lane at attack but it is surprising that they didn’t move him down last year and allow Bomberry to continue to draw the SSDM and play the crease. Best case is that Donahue watched film and realized Lane is better at dodging from X or the low wing, being a former attackman. His “breakout” games the last two years were b/c he C dodged and as able to post up the middie. Not sure why they don’t look for him to do that more often. Galasso was successful at the low wing dodge after moving to middie. It would be nice to see the 2nd line have some potential to be a threat. Need Lane and Simmons to play like Seniors b/c who knows what kind of slow play we might get from the young first line

I think if we are looking for a Myles Jones type of player to make an impact we have two coming in the Kim’s (Andrew and Justin),I think we are building a team this year! With recruits like Cook and Magnan next year the future is bright!

I feel for Simmons and Lane but i think that they will continue to lead and do what they have always done, contribute!

I think if we are looking for a Myles Jones type of player to make an impact we have two coming in the Kim’s (Andrew and Justin),I think we are building a team this year! With recruits like Cook and Magnan next year the future is bright!

I feel for Simmons and Lane but i think that they will continue to lead and do what they have always done, contribute!
With all due respect, there is no Jones comparison. Big strong kids but that is about as far as it goes as Jones was a top athlete n big producer at the highest levels. Hopefully the twins can develop further and become solid contributors down the road. Magnan n Cook likely can assimilate quickly next year like Trimboli and Dordevic have but it is not an easy jump for many despite hs prominence/competence, it takes time for many good ones to adjust especially if not yet physically mature. A kid like Seebold just going to get stronger and better. All about groupings and role with some, know nothing about Quinn than read here but his skills likely complement and are complement with some group at a later point. Solid frosh groups most years, this year Dordevic, Dami and perhaps Curry appear to be the notables. I think one r sophomore who is riding under the radar at middy is Lipka n that he can see some time on either 2n d or 3rd line. O'Sullivan has the quickness to breakdown n Carlin has an overall game that could contribute. Too uninformed on others but seems that players like Hutchings and some others could carve out roles as Schasnick has. . On D , Fusco, Mellen and Bomberry are the worthy headliners but Helmer, Cunnigham, DiPietro and Kennedy are a strong group that affords potential for mix and matching opponents.. Goalies performances can vary , Madonna seems to be the one but team seems to luxury of several competent ones. Same can be said for fogo though Varello appears to full fill big shoes. Cuse has a good base to compete and expand on, just advising myself to not get too high or low as its a work in progress on some fronts. Yale scrimmage , some personnel decisions and then it's on. Should be an interesting and exciting season in the context of what I expect