SU v Hofstra/LeMoyne (scrimmage) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU v Hofstra/LeMoyne (scrimmage)

Mellen was part of a four-player rotation that got the prime minutes on defense in the two scrimmages. The others, all returners, should all be fixtures this season: Tyson Bomberry, Marcus Cunningham and Nick DiPietro.

The Orange's lineup continued to take shape throughout the two scrimmages, although the anticipated starters played limited minutes. Right now, the first line of attack looks like Brad Voigt, Stephen Rehfuss and Nate Solomon. Brendan Bomberry also works into that group but injury kept him out of play Sunday. Syracuse coach John Desko indicated that Bomberry could be available when the Orange hosts Yale in a scrimmage Feb. 4 (that contest is not open to the public).

The midfield looks like Peter Dearth, Jamie Trimboli and potential impact freshman Tucker Dordevic. Matt Lane, Ryan Simmons and freshman Brendan Curry worked the second midfield unit in the contest against the Dolphins.

Mellen was part of a four-player rotation that got the prime minutes on defense in the two scrimmages. The others, all returners, should all be fixtures this season: Tyson Bomberry, Marcus Cunningham and Nick DiPietro.

The Orange's lineup continued to take shape throughout the two scrimmages, although the anticipated starters played limited minutes. Right now, the first line of attack looks like Brad Voigt, Stephen Rehfuss and Nate Solomon. Brendan Bomberry also works into that group but injury kept him out of play Sunday. Syracuse coach John Desko indicated that Bomberry could be available when the Orange hosts Yale in a scrimmage Feb. 4 (that contest is not open to the public).

The midfield looks like Peter Dearth, Jamie Trimboli and potential impact freshman Tucker Dordevic. Matt Lane, Ryan Simmons and freshman Brendan Curry worked the second midfield unit in the contest against the Dolphins.

Love that Curry has made the second line. Like having A Frosh to go with Two seniors on the second line. Also confirms that Curry is working at middie and not attack. I think O'Sullivan and Lipka and a few others can push for time on the second line if Simmons and Lane Struggle. Big fan of that first line as well, although not sure theres an elite dodger now that Salcido is gone. Really looking forward to seeing what Dordevic can do. Hoping we can get some info on whose playing SSDM, I know someone mentioned Lipka but I thought he was playing middie. I assume Schwasnick and the kid from Illinois whose name I dont dare try and type out will see major minutes with Hutchings.

SU has had some really good depth in years prior but the wealth at Midfield ( most of it young admittedly) is absolutely ridiculous. We just talked about the top two lines and made no mention of Romano, Small, Buttermore, Quinn, Lipka, Carlin, McKinney, Lauder etc. No idea how Desko will handle PT if some of these young guys start to come along as the season goes on. Will have to run 3 lines regularly perhaps.

Love that Curry has made the second line. Like having A Frosh to go with Two seniors on the second line. Also confirms that Curry is working at middie and not attack. I think O'Sullivan and Lipka and a few others can push for time on the second line if Simmons and Lane Struggle. Big fan of that first line as well, although not sure theres an elite dodger now that Salcido is gone. Really looking forward to seeing what Dordevic can do. Hoping we can get some info on whose playing SSDM, I know someone mentioned Lipka but I thought he was playing middie. I assume Schwasnick and the kid from Illinois whose name I dont dare try and type out will see major minutes with Hutchings.

SU has had some really good depth in years prior but the wealth at Midfield ( most of it young admittedly) is absolutely ridiculous. We just talked about the top two lines and made no mention of Romano, Small, Buttermore, Quinn, Lipka, Carlin, McKinney, Lauder etc. No idea how Desko will handle PT if some of these young guys start to come along as the season goes on. Will have to run 3 lines regularly perhaps.
I was a big fan of Romanos tape and glad to see him get on the stat sheet and well, really wanna see him succeed.
Like you said depth looks good. And the scrimmages are proving that.

What the freshman and others that didn't play much last year do will be a very big marker against Yale. Can't wait for that one.

When was the last time we had 3 solid midfield lines and ran them consistently. I don't have any evidence to back it up but it has always been my feeling that midfield depth is the difference for championship teams.

I was a big fan of Romanos tape and glad to see him get on the stat sheet and well, really wanna see him succeed.
Like you said depth looks good. And the scrimmages are proving that.

What the freshman and others that didn't play much last year do will be a very big marker against Yale. Can't wait for that one.
The Yale scrimmage is going to be tough to gauge. Yale hasn't officially started full team practices and per Ivy rules has only been doing individual group work. Their first official team practice is 2/1, so the potential to not get a game ready squad is possible.

That being said, Im hoping for a top 10 battle that helps get them ready for the season opener

The Yale scrimmage is going to be tough to gauge. Yale hasn't officially started full team practices and per Ivy rules has only been doing individual group work. Their first official team practice is 2/1, so the potential to not get a game ready squad is possible.

That being said, Im hoping for a top 10 battle that helps get them ready for the season opener
Why is that an Ivy League rule ?

And have they not had any scrimmages because of that? What do they do for fall ball?

Why is that an Ivy League rule ?

And have they not had any scrimmages because of that? What do they do for fall ball?

Ive League has a rule that teams in their league can't start practicing until I believe 2/1. Its been around for a while and its just something they do. Fall ball is totally different, no such rule there.

Yale will be tough first scrimmage or not. I would pay to see Mellen take on that stud attack. Love the excitement over freshmen middies, but it seems much too early to turn up the heat.

Yale will be tough first scrimmage or not. I would pay to see Mellen take on that stud attack. Love the excitement over freshmen middies, but it seems much too early to turn up the heat.

Welcome to the board, I know you have been over on laxpower for a number of years. Happy to have you join us over here. Can get a little slow at times but I think its the best spot on the web to talk SU lax.

When was the last time we had 3 solid midfield lines and ran them consistently. I don't have any evidence to back it up but it has always been my feeling that midfield depth is the difference for championship teams.

Desko usually runs 3 midlines but as you noted the consistency is usually all over the map. SOmetimes they won't play for games at a time and then against a top opponent you will see them in the 1st quarter. This year assuming the frosh and others contine to grow and learn SU could run 3 completely serviceable lines ala Denver a few years ago. I mean you could have a third line that consists of any of the following players - Romano, Quinn, Buttermore/McKinney/Carlin/ Lauder (asuming hes not playing attack), Lipka, O'Sullivan etc. Some of those guys would be starting at other places right now.

Jcuse - thanks for the kind words
Welcome! There's a lot of good lacrosse knowledge here. As Jeremy says, it can get quiet at times, but during the season it's pretty active. Just don't look for any knowledge from me - I discovered the sport my first year at Syracuse (about 100 years ago) and was introduced to the sport by the Desko, Donohue, Abbott, Storrier, etc. Love the sport!

My main contribution here is to participate in the game day threads and post stupid memes. ;)

I'm really fascinated with how Desko will choose to rotate the midfield. My guess is he uses two lines, the starters will play every other shift like normal, but he will sub and rotate the second line liberally. So the starters will get a run, then a group of Simmons/Lane/Curry will play, starters again, then a group of Quinn/O'Sullivan/Romano. Just a thought. A lot might depend on possessions and how well Varello, et all are doing at the face-off. He does change his mind about rotations from year to year. I think he will ultimately shorten the bench as the season progresses.

Really like the potential of the Dearth/Dvordeck/Trimboli line. Hope people are patient with them, I think the upside is huge. Plus think of chemistry they could develop by playing together for three years. They will hit some rough patches, but in the end I think it will be worth it. My only pause is I hope one of them can develop into a play maker type - someone who can distribute the ball. All three are very physical and can dodge well, but need to think of other players like Bomberry/Solomon and Voigt who are better when someone is feeding them the ball. I think Rehfuss will be the primary distributor this year, but feels like he will need help.

As much as Lane drives everyone crazy it's going to be hard to bump him off the 2 line. I'm almost shocked Desko put him on the 2 line to begin with. But the kid just has massive size and that clip from the scrimmage he looks like he's filled out in the upper body. Watch the team congratulate him after that shot, look at how much bigger he is than everyone around him. He towers over everybody. He's going to be imposing and a real boost on that 2nd line.

I'm going to be ever observant of Quinn. I've seen him play a bunch, he's real thick and fast but short. He never really overwhelmed me; ya know when you're watching teams play and you say to yourself 'holy sht who is that kid'. I was always surprised by how early we offered him and over his career I've just worried that he'll be like any other player at this level. I hope he has a great great career here but he might have to wait his turn.

As much as Lane drives everyone crazy it's going to be hard to bump him off the 2 line. I'm almost shocked Desko put him on the 2 line to begin with. But the kid just has massive size and that clip from the scrimmage he looks like he's filled out in the upper body. Watch the team congratulate him after that shot, look at how much bigger he is than everyone around him. He towers over everybody. He's going to be imposing and a real boost on that 2nd line.

In my opinion when Desko saw the match up mismatches that Myles Jones created at Duke he wanted to find something comparable for SU. However Jones seems to be a once in a generation type of player. I can't think of any other player in college lacrosse like him.

In my opinion when Desko saw the match up mismatches that Myles Jones created at Duke he wanted to find something comparable for SU. However Jones seems to be a once in a generation type of player. I can't think of any other player in college lacrosse like him.
Lane and Myles Jones aren't even in the same universe. Not even close. I'm just hoping Lane will be a decent role player this season.

I'm going to be ever observant of Quinn. I've seen him play a bunch, he's real thick and fast but short. He never really overwhelmed me; ya know when you're watching teams play and you say to yourself 'holy sht who is that kid'. I was always surprised by how early we offered him and over his career I've just worried that he'll be like any other player at this level. I hope he has a great great career here but he might have to wait his turn.

Lane has always shown flashes his issue has been inconsitency and the fact that hes a natural attackmen trying to play middie who isn't a natural or comfortable dodger. He has done a nice job running the point on man up and has a chance to have a very successful Senior year. That said I think the first line option has sailed, there is just to much talent on the roster at this point. Overall I am not sure what to make of Lane this year, I love his size and the fact that seems to have taken that next step but I said the same thing last year and he lost his spot on the 1st line and really struggled at times. I hope he can have a breakout senior year. If he struggles again both he and Simmons could be in danger as there is a ton of young talent trying to get on that second line.

Quinn isn't a physically imposing player but he put up some really good numbers at Nisky and was an UA. He came in with a pretty loaded midfield class so its going to take him some time and the ability to stand out in practice to get some playing time this early. He may even be a red-shirt candidate at this point with Curry and Dordevic both ahead of him.

Lane has always shown flashes his issue has been inconsitency and the fact that hes a natural attackmen trying to play middie who isn't a natural or comfortable dodger. He has done a nice job running the point on man up and has a chance to have a very successful Senior year. That said I think the first line option has sailed, there is just to much talent on the roster at this point. Overall I am not sure what to make of Lane this year, I love his size and the fact that seems to have taken that next step but I said the same thing last year and he lost his spot on the 1st line and really struggled at times. I hope he can have a breakout senior year. If he struggles again both he and Simmons could be in danger as there is a ton of young talent trying to get on that second line.

Quinn isn't a physically imposing player but he put up some really good numbers at Nisky and was an UA. He came in with a pretty loaded midfield class so its going to take him some time and the ability to stand out in practice to get some playing time this early. He may even be a red-shirt candidate at this point with Curry and Dordevic both ahead of him.
So, why doesn't Desko run Lane at attack? Park him in front of the net and dare defensemen to move him. Unless he doesn't have the stick skills.

So, why doesn't Desko run Lane at attack? Park him in front of the net and dare defensemen to move him. Unless he doesn't have the stick skills.

I don't believe they felt he could play attack at this level. SU has had crease atackmen on the roster/field since Lane got here so attack was initially blocked. If they were going to move him back I think a few years ago would have been the time when Donahue was a senior and the attack unit was really hurting for help after the Brown transfer hurt his knee and Evans struggled. The problem was they didn't really have an elite dodger from the graduation of Rice until probably now with Rehfuss. Would have been interesting to see if he could have faired better though.