SU v. MD - Yay-Nay | Syracusefan.com

SU v. MD - Yay-Nay

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Weather - Yay - Windy but nice and very comfortable in the Dome.

Quad Pre-Game - Yay - A lot of fun with good food and the Band on the Hendricks Stairs

Dome Crowd - Nay - Villanova hurt.

Uniforms - Nay - Worst Ever - Right there with Robinson All-Orange.

Pre-Game Video Introductions of SU Players - Nay - They look like a bunch of thugs with beards, backward hats and needless schtick.

Dome Atmosphere - Nay - Do we really need that much hip hop?

Hunt - Nay - Sorry, but the rushing yards covered poor execution, poor throws and inability to find open receivers. And the pick six was of course a 14 point turnaround.

Gulley/Moore - Yay.

WR - Nay - Nobody gets open and few catch the ball well. Who would have thought that Ben Lewis would be our best and most reliable WR?

OL - Yay. Hunt seemed to have all day to throw and Gulley and Moore had seems.

PK - Nay. Play Murphy.

Offensive Scheme - Nay - No real effort to stretch the defense. The bubble never works. Relying way too much on a shifty but really slow QB to gain yardage - I know we gained nearly 600 yards, but they were not clean yards in my view.

Defensive Scheme - Nay - We don't hit hard enough, don't tackle well enough and of course allowed a really horrible 90 yard pass and run.

Special Teams - Nay - The blocked punt was just another horrible moment.

Shafer - Nay - This team lacks discipline. This team is not prepared. The kids are not being held to the standards that Marrone required. Getting an unsportsmanlike penalty was a bad moment - it demonstrated a lack of composure. I am very disappointed in what Coach S has done so far this season. Say what you will about Randy Edsall, but his guys hit and play for him.

Conditioning - Nay - Once again it appears that a bunch of our guys had cramps while the MD guys did not.

Overall Experience - Nay - One of the worst I have had in awhile. This feels like the Greg Robinson era with a great guy as the HC but awful play. Sorry to be such a downer but I had a really bad day in the Dome today.

I hope things change quickly at MetLife.

the crowd was very solid until that pick 6 and missed fg at end of quarter 2

I respect your opinion, but this is nothing like the Robinson era. You completely lost me there.

There is one difference - this team has far more talent than the Robinson teams had.

I'll give you that.

I concur about the pre-game stuff on the Quad. Wish they would have done something with the hoops legends all back on campus, but it's a decent atmosphere that isn't well promoted.

Shafer has been horrible as a game planner as the HC. People want to say his defense when he was DC for Marrone made Marrone look good. I think Marrone knew how to game plan our opponents and prepare the team with what he wanted. Now our team had a lot of dumb mistakes and penalties under Marrone but we never looked unprepared on the field like we have numerous times under Shafer.
Shafer is going nowhere but the guy just doesn't do it for me. I will support him because he is a great man but his HC era has been shaky potatoes. That gameplay on defense was pathetic to star the game. Hunt needs to work on his accuracy his passing needs work.

You may want to watch some old game footage of when Marrone was coach. Like Rutgers 2011 and 2012, Northwestern 2012, on and on. A ton of games where we bumbled our way to a loss. Why? That's what mediocre programs do. They win some and look like sh** just as often. HCSS and his staff are far from perfect but this Post Standard troll GROB comparison horsesh** is asinine

Thugs?

Jesus man, you want to rethink that one?

Sorry If That Is Somehow Inappropriate.

How About Lacking In Class?

How About Unprofessional?

Marrone Insisted The Players Be Well Groomed And Present With Class.

Shafer Does Not.

Hopefully That Explains Better What I see.

a

OrangePA said:
Sorry If That Is Somehow Inappropriate. How About Lacking In Class? How About Unprofessional? Marrone Insisted The Players Be Well Groomed And Present With Class. Shafer Does Not. Hopefully That Explains Better What I see. a

How about you're making up.

Go look at pictures of the players from 2 frickin' years ago. They look the same as they do now.

But no, better to throw some vaguely racist stuff out there because you had a "bad" day.

In other words, get over yourself.

OrangePA, I respect your desire to pay homage and respect to tradition. But "thugs" and "too much hip hop" sounds like someone who screams "GET OFF MY LAWN" when someone gets within a foot of your yard.

I don't love how this team has fared over the first three games, but let's hopefully not make a conclusion that it's because we don't have white kids out there with 1950s crew cuts. I don't think you are thinking totally that way, but some of the observations seems to suggest some oddities.

Go Cuse.

MadNY3 said:
OrangePA, I respect your desire to pay homage and respect to tradition. But "thugs" and "too much hip hop" sounds like someone who screams "GET OFF MY LAWN" when someone gets within a foot of your yard. I don't love how this team has fared over the first three games, but let's hopefully not make a conclusion that it's because we don't have white kids out there with 1950s crew cuts. I don't think you are thinking totally that way, but some of the observations seems to suggest some oddities. Go Cuse.

Not that I have to defend OrangePa because I know he can do that himself, but I think it's more him finding the right word. He is specifically talking about the intro video of the starting lineup. He's not comparing to decades ago and a bunch of white kids with brush cuts. He mentioned under Marrone.

Maybe it was the same a couple years ago, but for some reason yesterday's video stood out not just to OrangePa but to others too. I noticed it and it didn't go unnoticed to everyone. I'm not sure of the right word and I'm trying to find a word that won't offend anyone, but several of the players looked "sloppy". Not a big deal to me but I think OrangePa appreciated Marrones insistence on the clean business look.

I think OrangePa would have made the same comment if the whole video was white kids, so I don't think he said it in a racist manner at all.

Scooch said:
Thugs? Jesus man, you want to rethink that one?

Since when is the word thug a racist term? Since the media wants us to think it is. I've used the word plenty over the years. Probably more times describing a white kid(s) than black.

I think Marrone's grooming rules were more early on in his tenure, based on the drastic culture changes he needed to make to the team's attitude.

The Yankees still force all grooming. The Red Sox dugout looked like a homeless shelter last year. The homeless team won the World Series.

I think appearance is the least of our problems (actually it's not a problem at all).

Since when is the word thug a racist term? Since the media wants us to think it is. I've used the word plenty over the years. Probably more times describing a white kid(s) than black.
You can argue that point. I am on the other side of the fence than you on the word thug and do believe its a racist term. But I do see your point,I just disagree with it. My bigger problem with what he said is our team is "lacking in class." That's worse than the Thug line honestly. These all seem to be good kids not getting in trouble off the field. How are they "lacking in class?" I don't get it. I think when you put both together the "thug" bit and the "lacking in class" bit as OPA did it does come off as harsh and racist. But that's just my .2

Last edited:
I think Marrone's grooming rules were more early on in his tenure, based on the drastic culture changes he needed to make to the team's attitude.

The Yankees still force all grooming. The Red Sox dugout looked like a homeless shelter last year. The homeless team won the World Series.

I think appearance is the least of our problems (actually it's not a problem at all).

Apparently no one has seen the beard Mike Williams is sporting in Buffalo then? Under Marrone no less ...

It's not, period. When did we reach this turning point in the term? You're right, I think this was media driven, but it sure turned the corner quick..

OrangePA said:
Sorry If That Is Somehow Inappropriate.

How About Lacking In Class?

How About Unprofessional?

Marrone Insisted The Players Be Well Groomed And Present With Class.

Shafer Does Not.

Hopefully That Explains Better What I see.

a

Yeah, I loved how Doug disciplined Carter when he cold cocked some kid for literally no reason. Oh wait.

Yeah, I loved how Doug disciplined Carter when he cold cocked some kid for literally no reason. Oh wait.
Now now Delone's punishment was severe he had to miss spring practice. Kind of like being suspended for NFL training camp. That's why DMs teams never had terrible sloppy games like yesterday. Except for the entire 2011 season and the first half of 2012 just to name a few. You know, when the trolls were comparing DM and Hackett to GROB and DeLeone and wanting their heads on a platter. Like HCSS and George now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom