SUNY Cortland - Final Four | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SUNY Cortland - Final Four

albany a 20 pt dog. right now.
Albany played Marshall and Hawai'i OOC and did pretty well against them on the road. Also the game last week at Idaho was a huge win on the road in a bizarre hostile environment in a time slot that was very hard for the Albany players to be comfortable in. It would be a program changing win for them to beat the current FCS champions SDSU, but I think they can pull it off.

Granted, these players don't play at the physical level that the power 5 programs do, but the fan enjoyment level is still there for me. NIL and the portal become very secondary issues and are replaced by a true feeling of commitment to the school, your teammates, and the athletic program.

Having played at the D111 level I can honestly say it was one of the highlights of my life without all the outside issues surrounding major college sports today. Good for the D1 athletes that they are getting $$, but I'll take my memories any day (and the education helped get me $$ down the line anyway).

I caught parts of several UAlbany evening practices this November and they were legit. Kids looked great. Great environment to. Seemed just from practice they have a pretty special team this year.

Granted, these players don't play at the physical level that the power 5 programs do, but the fan enjoyment level is still there for me. NIL and the portal become very secondary issues and are replaced by a true feeling of commitment to the school, your teammates, and the athletic program.

Having played at the D111 level I can honestly say it was one of the highlights of my life without all the outside issues surrounding major college sports today. Good for the D1 athletes that they are getting $$, but I'll take my memories any day (and the education helped get me $$ down the line anyway).

You played D111 ball? How far below DIII is that? ;)

That's why I say SU fans shouldn't abandon ship if they create their mini-NFL an we aren't in it. There will be a new NCAA Division 1 full of schools like SU which we might be able to win one day and have a lot more fun doing it than being a doormat in the new level they are creating.

Albany played Marshall and Hawai'i OOC and did pretty well against them on the road. Also the game last week at Idaho was a huge win on the road in a bizarre hostile environment in a time slot that was very hard for the Albany players to be comfortable in. It would be a program changing win for them to beat the current FCS champions SDSU, but I think they can pull it off.

Both New York schools have huge challenges. SDSU has displaced NDSU as the top program in FCS: they've beaten the Bison five times in a row. North Central crushed Ithaca last year, 48-7. They've won 29 games in a row and are averaging 60 points a game this year. Of course, Randolph Macon had also crushed Ithaca 46-0 and look what the Red Dragons did to them.

I heard a stat on the TV newscast last night: Cortland State has 120 players on it's roster. I have a theory that the top D3 schools, despite being banned form giving out scholarships, have built up their programs in every other way and that this era's national title contenders are significantly stronger teams than back when Jim Butterfield was winning nattys with the Bombers, which is why our local teams haven't been able to break into the thrown room since his day. I'm guessing that Jim never had 120 players on his roster.

Both New York schools have huge challenges. SDSU has displaced NDSU as the top program in FCS: they've beaten the Bison five times in a row. North Central crushed Ithaca last year, 48-7. They've won 29 games in a row and are averaging 60 points a game this year. Of course, Randolph Macon had also crushed Ithaca 46-0 and look what the Red Dragons did to them.

I heard a stat on the TV newscast last night: Cortland State has 120 players on it's roster. I have a theory that the top D3 schools, despite being banned form giving out scholarships, have built up their programs in every other way and that this era's national title contenders are significantly stronger teams than back when Jim Butterfield was winning nattys with the Bombers, which is why our local teams haven't been able to break into the thrown room since his day. I'm guessing that Jim never had 120 players on his roster.
The QB, RB and WR for Cortland are unbelievably great players, they will score points. I think it's their year. The Cortland/RMC game is on replay at 1:00 on ESPNU for people who want to check them out. The weather forecast in both locations is good for the New York teams. Warm and dry in Virginia for Cortland's offense and cold and rainy for Albany's D. With both games being on at the same time, it's going to take a lot of flipping, hope my thumb holds up for 2 New York wins!!!

Div 3 roster is kinda an in flux thing. lots of kids go thinking they can play and quit after a yr or 2

cortland has the standard 100 or so and then 25 or so who dont even have a number

The Cortland big 3; QB Zach Boyes, RB Jaden Alfano Saint John, WR Cole Burgess. Those guys can play.
NFL scouts have been watching the two Cortland State WR's (Burgess and Lapp) all year. They've told the coaching staff that they are legit D1 talents and could get tryouts with NFL teams. The offense is a lot of fun to watch. It will be interesting to see if they can move it as easily against North Central who is a D3 juggernaut.

I love that the Red Dragons are in the championship. Hate that last week's game was basically their championship. No one is beating North Central. They are the powerhouse that Mount Union was a decade back.

NFL scouts have been watching the two Cortland State WR's (Burgess and Lapp) all year. They've told the coaching staff that they are legit D1 talents and could get tryouts with NFL teams. The offense is a lot of fun to watch. It will be interesting to see if they can move it as easily against North Central who is a D3 juggernaut.
I think the RB, Alfano Saint John is excellent as well. If he put on 10-15 pounds, he would be a great power back.

I love that the Red Dragons are in the championship. Hate that last week's game was basically their championship. No one is beating North Central. They are the powerhouse that Mount Union was a decade back.
Cortland will take them down.

Go Danes tonight! My alma mater.
All we have to do is catch jackrabbits, right? What could possibly go wrong?
greatdanestomp.gif

watching the games from last week Cortlands offense looked to be the best of the 4..

i forgot the Cortland QB is Jerry Boyes kid. From my High school.. havent talked to Jerry in years

Red Dragons not getting pushed around, for sure!

Don't you want to kick a field goal and take a lead there?

Albany looks over-matched. :(

cortland seems to have some ability to throw yet avoids it when it matters. they cant get outside so dont try it.