Symir Hurt Late | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Hurt Late

He tipped at least 3 passes that were picked off, and I don't think he got credit for any of those steals. I dont understand the thinking behind giving the steal to the guy who happens to catch the ball over the guy who made the actual defensive play.

I hate this almost as much as I hate ACC officiating during Duke games.

Joe got into the lane plenty and I don’t think we’ve ever had anyone average 10apg. The highest I think was Douglas with 8.6. Not MCW and not Flynn.
Joe needs to stay out of the lane.

And
Joe got into the lane plenty and I don’t think we’ve ever had anyone average 10apg. The highest I think was Douglas with 8.6. Not MCW and not Flynn.
And Sherm was the NCAA all time assist leader by the time he graduated. What college PG has ever averaged more than 10apg? That’s an insane expectation for supp to have.

I thought Symir had a good game. His shot didn't fall, and I do worry about teams choosing to not guard him, but as long as he is attracting a defender he is doing enough on offense in my book.

Defensively he was fantastic. He's strong, long, and quick, and he plays much bigger than 6'3. Lafayette ran out several 6'7 shooters, and Symir made it seem like they were the smaller guys. He tipped at least 3 passes that were picked off, and I don't think he got credit for any of those steals. I dont understand the thinking behind giving the steal to the guy who happens to catch the ball over the guy who made the actual defensive play.
Yeah, I liked him too. Not really worried about him missing a couple in traffic layups…..unless he keeps doing it.

I was thinking “he can’t score 0 and be a Goodine/Washington that other teams don’t guard”….but I don’t recall them confidently making some nice moves to get to the rack like Symir did either. I think he’ll be ok.

Liked his defense, ball handling, and pass first mentality. 4 assists in 18 minutes is solid.

If pg is the biggest question mark we are in great shape. Granted the level of competition hasn't given him any challenges yet, but Joe looks 1000% more confident and in charge this year. People don;t realize what he went through health-wise last year. Doube digit assists is a bit out there, but Joe will likely average around 14 ppg, 5 - 6 apg and at least a 2-1 assist to turnover rate this year. Easily a top 5 PG in the ACC.

Don't understand why some are still hung up on pure point guard or pure power forward type acclimations. That went out in the 90s. Much more flexibility in skill sets and positional ability in this era's game.

Good post! I wasn't sure where we were going with that first sentence ...
but you nailed it.

Joes strength is not driving the ball.

If you mean, "driving the ball and finishing at the rim against P5 centers", then I agree.

But if Joe is going to be a good PG for us, he has to be able to get into the lane, and be able to hit that 10-15 foot pull-up jumper.

Good big men will block him at the rim, but if he can hit that 'stop and pop' shot in the lane, then that will still draw the center out from the rim, and it will open up passing lanes to the wings or the corner.

If you mean, "driving the ball and finishing at the rim against P5 centers", then I agree.

But if Joe is going to be a good PG for us, he has to be able to get into the lane, and be able to hit that 10-15 foot pull-up jumper.

Good big men will block him at the rim, but if he can hit that 'stop and pop' shot in the lane, then that will still draw the center out from the rim, and it will open up passing lanes to the wings or the corner.
Joe isnt going to beat many ACC guards off the bounce. Its not his game and he doesn't need to this year.

Joe isnt going to beat many ACC guards off the bounce. Its not his game and he doesn't need to this year.

This year is going to be different. Beating a guy off the dribble to get into the lane isn't going to be so much a one-on-one challenge.

It will be more of a matter of having the right angles to get into the lane, because of all the other shooters on the floor, and the ball movement.

Think more like soccer - pass the ball and move, find the open space, move the ball quickly to the open man, and he has the angle to get into the lane.

He most certainly does. That’s what an effective point guard does. A point guard needs to draw a second defender, be able to make the quick decision as to where to deliver the ball.
You knew this,right?

This year is going to be different. Beating a guy off the dribble to get into the lane isn't going to be so much a one-on-one challenge.

It will be more of a matter of having the right angles to get into the lane, because of all the other shooters on the floor, and the ball movement.

Think more like soccer - pass the ball and move, find the open space, move the ball quickly to the open man, and he has the angle to get into the lane.
I try to think less like soccer tbh

Dukes is like lard with Sugar
sounds like the southern version of miracle whip. I will just say this about the great Mayo debate... the Venn diagram of people who like Miracle Whip is almost a perfect circle with people who like Ranch dressing. Read into that as you wish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom