Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Symir is a step down from Kadary, but let’s be honest what guard did anyone think was going come in here and try to conquer the battle that Richmond just lost. This is best case scenario IMO. We get a GREAT, coachable, hometown kid who is already has chemistry with some of his future teammates. He is better than his numbers at Marquette...how much better, who knows. I think Brandon Triche is his ceiling (which I think we’d all take) and he has 3 more years to reach that ceiling. He is a lockdown defender, strong, physical, good ball handler, takes charges, etc. And he is actually a pretty good shooter, even though the numbers don’t back it up. His biggest flaw IMO is his lack of explosiveness. While he certainly won’t carry the team anytime soon, he is an interesting pickup after what transpired yesterday, as disappointing as that was.

Better players in the portal we could have gotten. More nepotism he is close with Buddy, Joe, Jimmy when he comes here.
We need atleast 4 guards on the roster for proper depth.

This kid is a top 100 recruit and can play.

He is a good pickup for depth.

Our problems are the HC and how he has been constructing and using his rosters.

MAN!!... there are some miserable mf’rs on this board. Lol!

I feel like you have all enrolled me in the jelly of the month club.

The gift that keeps on giving... the WHOLE year round. Never change guys.

Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, kiss my ass. Kiss his ass. Kiss your ass. Happy Hanukkah.

The sad part is .. even Symir turns out GREAT - and he really finds himself and develops his game and plays a big part in our success next year ... deep down this was not JBs plan. JB didn’t see Symir in the portal and tell Kadary to leave. It’s still bad roster management no matter what happens; even if Kadary regresses and Symir improves
Cover those bases, because that is exactly what is going to happen.

i’ll take a physical guard who may have the presence of mind to guard the perimeter and grab a board

We need atleast 4 guards on the roster for proper depth.

This kid is a top 100 recruit and can play.

He is a good pickup for depth.

Our problems are the HC and how he has been constructing and using his rosters.
I fully assume that they told him he’d get 15mpg. Maybe they use another scholly on HS senior they like that they think is a project? But Symir isn’t here to be the 4th guard

What makes this a false equivalent is that neither of those guys was brought in to replace a really good player that transferred out due to not being on the same page as the head coach.

my issue is that JB should have moved heaven and earth to keep Kadary here. It wouldn’t have taken much...
What would it have taken? Seriously? A starting spot? Do you know that to be true? Or are you projecting? How many minutes? Should he have started K but kept bringing Joe off the bench for the same number of minutes? How did K do in practices? I assume you know.
The truth is we don’t know what it would have taken. Maybe he just didn’t like it here, or maybe he hated his teammates.

Kid couldn't play major minutes for a very poor team that just fired its coach.

What the hell are we doing?
People can say whatever they want. We are in a bad place. This bubble crap every year and hoping to make a run isn’t for a program like Syracuse.

I’m excited for the pickup. Kids is from SU. Wants to play at SU. From reading quick first step to the basket and can get in the lane. That is what we need from a pg. neither joe or buddy has shown that consistently.
Sucks to loose Richmond. I do fault JB but the kid decided to leave. Remember when we recruited him there were a lot of doubters.
Never know how it will work out until the players that want to be here get on the floor.

I fully assume that they told him he’d get 15mpg. Maybe they use another scholly on HS senior they like that they think is a project? But Symir isn’t here to be the 4th guard
Honestly I am so down on Joe I hope he plays more than him.

Jim Boeheim poisoned the well on some of his players.

I’d rather roll with Torrance and Boeheim as the backcourt.

This should let everyone know what goes on in college hoops even within our own program. You could tell even when we were playing in the tournament that Symir was coming here from his social media accounts. JB made some telling remarks during our tournament run and the staff knew they were losing Kadary im betting. The amount of tampering that goes on is probably insane especially this year but they definitely knew they had Symir locked up. There wasn't even talk of us "involved" until the second after Kadary announced his news and then pretty much instantly Symir announced his decision date. What a crazy business!

The SI article said "He shot 37.5% from three point range as a freshman at Marquette, but that dipped to 13.9% as a sophomore. Torrence has good shooting form and showed the ability to make the outside shot as a high schooler." I wonder why the 3-pt shooting percentage dropped so much last year - injury?
In all likelihood it just boils down to a small sample size. He made 9/24 3's as a freshman. To put that in perspective, MCW made 7/18 his freshman year (39%). MCW didn't become a worse shooter as a sophomore, he just shot the ball more and proved that his freshman year was a fluke.

Dating back to high school (granted HS stats are difficult to find so we only have his numbers from 10 games there), Torrence has shot 21/86 from 3 the past 3 years for 24.4% and 35/49 from the FT line for 71.4%. It's still a pretty small sample size combining the past 3 years, but if he proves to be even an average shooter, we can chalk that up as a win.

Can't say I'm too familiar with Torrence but hope he pans out here. Obviously he didn't play well for Marquette; doesn't necessarily mean he can't play well here but seems like a case where we should probably have low expectations and hope for a pleasant surprise.

Honestly I am so down on Joe I hope he plays more than him.

Jim Boeheim poisoned the well on some of his players.

I’d rather roll with Torrance and Boeheim as the backcourt.
Our best bet is someone like Powell who can play 10-15mpg at the top then 20mpg at the bottom of the zone

Kadary was a #85 recruit. Torrance was #75, per 2-4-7 with this description:

"Good physique for a point guard, and he can also play shooting guard. A physical slasher who passes well off the dribble. Loves to set players up but is a quality scorer as well. Quality rebounder as a guard who can defend at a high level and defend multiple positions. Plays with an edge and competes. Could develop into an NBA player."

At Marquette he was behind a senior and kid in the same class as him who was ranked #34. Sounds like a good pick-up. :)

it was 68 degrees yesterday and I was wearing a tee shirt. We may get 6 inches of snow tomorrow. I'll be in a sweater. The T shirt will be back on in the near future. Things happen. You've got to keep moving forward.
And Kadary was underrated.

I look forward to Symir leaving after next season to go to the NBA.

i don’t think a single person is comparing Symir to Elijah. The point is when we got Elijah many many people here asked why the hell were we bringing in a kid from ECU that averaged 6 ppg. There was a lot of snark just like there is now with Symir. And no, Symir will not be going to the nba next year.

Nice that a local kid wants to transfer in. Hopefully he'll be far better than he was at Marquette.

This doesn't do much to make us better though. Just gives us some depth. Hopefully he can have an impact in his 6-8 minutes per game.

I doubt we add another guard, but it sure would be nice to add someone to push Girard down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom