Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at BJ Johnsons stats during and after Cuse.

“But trueblue he benefitted from a drop in competition!”

Went on to play pro ball and have a few cups of coffee.

Some kids who reclassify struggle initially.

He is not Kadary Richmond. We know that. He is a player that wants to do his best and play at Syracuse. Need to move on.
Symir was ranked the 95th best player in the 2019 class by 247.

Kadary was ranked the 91st best player in the 2020 class by 247.

Sorry Kadary decided to leave. Glad Symir wants in.

Honestly I am so down on Joe I hope he plays more than him.

Jim Boeheim poisoned the well on some of his players.

I’d rather roll with Torrance and Boeheim as the backcourt.

That’s just crazy lol. Girard is the better player and it’s not close IMO.

From 24-7 yesterday:
So far Torrence has heard from UMass, Siena, UAlbany, Wake Forest, Washington, South Florida and Murray State and has talked in depth on his fit with UMass, South Carolina, Siena, and UAlbany.
Now there's an impressive list of programs.

People are so damn negative about this because he isn't Kadary. News flash: Kadary wanted to leave back in December/January. Symir wants to play and he knows his role. I'll take somebody who actually wants to be here.

I hope for his sake he is. Based on what I’m seeing, no one in the backcourt is a fan favorite. Buddy plays too many minutes. Joe is fat, slow and took Kadary’s job. Symir committed the worst sin of all, not being Saint Kadary.
Buddy’s earned everyone shut up status.
His last month did that.

The other guard on the other hand I feel bad for. The HC screwed up.

Torrance gives some optimism we have atleast one PG who can get bye people.

A couple of things after googling away and watching a lot of highlights.

Symir has good vision, is a solid athlete and is ample strong for a guard. His size is good too. He is a good player to have when you have scorers on your team and like has been said is not a guy where you want him out there having to get a lot of buckets.

I am always happy to see a kid who really wants to be here. There are things that come with that and all are positives. Given how quickly this happened it's clear the behind the scenes stuff going out and coming in have been around a while.

Given his physical qualifications there is always a chance he could grow into a bigger role. I like the pickup as it's important to turn the tide momentum wise and I think he will be a very likable teammate and hard worker.

That said this is not replacing Kadary. It's simply putting together a team again amidst the fallout.

Actually think BJ’s a better comparison than Elijah or G, though from an opposite perspective

BJ was the youngest player in his Cuse class, Torrence reclassified from 2020 to 2019.

Both under-impressed shooting while adjusting to the college game. Both transferred after year 2. Similar stats.

People are so damn negative about this because he isn't Kadary. News flash: Kadary wanted to leave back in December/January. Symir wants to play and he knows his role. I'll take somebody who actually wants to be here.

what’s his role, in your opinion?

The kid from Auburn is who we need.

Its not just the board either. 75-80 percent of the fan base is fed up with JB based on facebook/Twitter and my alumni contacts.

yeah, like that's dispositive of anything

you and your acquaintances think alike, such a surprise

For the stats guys. Let’s see what it looks like when he actually gets to play. It took some digging but I finally found his high school Vermont Academy stats. I think you guys are going to love this!

He averaged 19.4 points, 10.2 rebounds, and 5.8 assists while taking a school-record 37 charges.

That sounds like a bring your lunch pale to work kind of guy. Fan favorite material.

FWIW, I remember when Symir was still in the 2020 class before he reclassified, JAB who liked Symir had a discussion with him about Syracuse. At that time, we were too heavy with 3-4 guards. JAB offered Symir either a scholarship or the opportunity to walk on. Believe we had Buddy, JGIII, Carey, Goodine and Howard Washington. it was definitely crowded at the inn. JAB had been upfront with Symir about playing time. Symir looked around and decided to reclassify and go to Marquette.

Maybe Torrence was not going to leave Marquette. Maybe he was waiting his turn like underclassmen expect to do, but when Wojo got fired all his commitments for what his role was going to be in the future got thrown out the window. The portal opens with no penalty and he takes his chance and comes to the Cuse, where he truly belongs and Cuse gets a hugely underrated transfer. Shaka did reach out to him to stay on.

Buddy’s earned everyone shut up status.
His last month did that.

The other guard on the other hand I feel bad for. The HC screwed up.

Torrance gives some optimism we have atleast one PG who can get bye people.
I hope so, but we'll see. Doesn't seem like he's really proven he can get by college guys yet, granted he hasn't had much opportunity.

I hope this kid does great for us and shoves it up the arse of everyone hammering him right now. I am not happy about Kadary leaving either, but shut the hell up with this kid, he was pushed by Marquette to reclassify when maybe he needed an extra year, he will be happier back home, which could make him a better player here.
He chose to reclassify. His decision. No one else’s

Symir was ranked the 95th best player in the 2019 class by 247.

Kadary was ranked the 91st best player in the 2020 class by 247.

Sorry Kadary decided to leave. Glad Symir wants in.
Rankings are cool. He’s still not Kadary.

That’s just crazy lol. Girard is the better player and it’s not close IMO.
He’s so inefficient, reckless and bad on defense. What is he so good at that someone else can’t do? Symir could take the same amount of shots as Joe and probably put the same running numbers up, I just don’t see what Joe does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom