Syr-WKU- Billy Packer Jackass | Syracusefan.com

Syr-WKU- Billy Packer Jackass

sdorange

Walk On

Came across this snippet. Should of been a and 1 for Marty Byrnes. Packer an idiot. Tough , tough loss

Billy Packer is on the DNL (Do Not Like) list for many of us. If you think Dickie V is a Duke booster, Packer was the ultimate ACC shill long before we even thought about being in the ACC.

That game was March 11, 1978. Most folks here do not know how low was SU and JB's standing in the national press in those days. We got no respect whatsoever.

My sr year. One of the worst losses of the jb era. WKU was terrible. probably the worst team in the tournament. They didn't seed back then.

That game was March 11, 1978. Most folks here do not know how low was SU and JB's standing in the national press in those days. We got no respect whatsoever.

plus at home JB was at war with Bob Snyder.

plus at home JB was at war with Bob Snyder.
and everyone else. That was the year that magic johnson got the mvp of the carrier classic and Marty B didn't.

Came across this snippet. Should of been a and 1 for Marty Byrnes. Packer an idiot. Tough , tough loss

After that video finished, the Syracuse-Tenn. game from 1977 showed up. Thought it was cool/interesting/kinda weird how several of the SU players high-fived or shook Bernard King's hand as he was walking off the court after fouling out. You just wouldn't see that today.

JB was not very popular in the early 80's. I remember after the loss to BC in the BE tournament in 82(?) people were calling for his head. His job security was not a sure thing until Pearl arrived, and even then, not until the Final Four in '87.

I wonder how close he ever came to being fired. I'd be interested to hear from some of the posters here with more inside information.

After that video finished, the Syracuse-Tenn. game from 1977 showed up. Thought it was cool/interesting/kinda weird how several of the SU players high-fived or shook Bernard King's hand as he was walking off the court after fouling out. You just wouldn't see that today.

b/c of your post I called up and watched a bit of that game

not only are you right, but also...
  • as a knick's fan it was great to see the KING and Grunfeld playing together but weird to see Bernard not wearing 30
  • damn Grunfeld had a funky freethrow motion. more players should use it
  • I know that era of Cuse hoops pretty well, have a basketball with all of their autographs. I 100% forgot about Larry Kelley
  • Louie & Bouie looked good as frosh
  • Ross Kindle had some hustle
  • What sort of Tyler Lydon type hype would Marty have if he was just coming in now. of course he would also be listed as 6'10"

b/c of your post I called up and watched a bit of that game

not only are you right, but also...
  • as a knick's fan it was great to see the KING and Grunfeld playing together but weird to see Bernard not wearing 30
  • damn Grunfeld had a funky freethrow motion. more players should use it
  • I know that era of Cuse hoops pretty well, have a basketball with all of their autographs. I 100% forgot about Larry Kelley
  • Louie & Bouie looked good as frosh
  • Ross Kindle had some hustle
  • What sort of Tyler Lydon type hype would Marty have if he was just coming in now. of course he would also be listed as 6'10"

- I have had the "Bernie and Ernie" ESPN 30 for 30 on my Netflix watch list for awhile but haven't watched it yet. I need to get to that.
- That's an era of Cuse hoops (those pre-Carrier Dome, pre-Big East early Boeheim seasons) that I know little about other than the impressive season records and the star players accomplishments, but am fascinated by so I was happy to find the footage.

- I have had the "Bernie and Ernie" ESPN 30 for 30 on my Netflix watch list for awhile but haven't watched it yet. I need to get to that.
- That's an era of Cuse hoops (those pre-Carrier Dome, pre-Big East early Boeheim seasons) that I know little about other than the impressive season records and the star players accomplishments, but am fascinated by so I was happy to find the footage.

that was the era I became a deep fan as a kid. probably really started the next year...and yes, I was there the night that bastard "closed" the old place down

that said, I still 100% forgot Fred Kelley. I vividly remember Bug though

Dasher is right on. Upset losses to UNCC, WKU, Iowa (w injured Ronnie Lester) and Penn sort of sealed JB's early reputation and built his resentment of the local and national press. I still remember him railing at the local press after Magic got MVP in Carrier Classic , in a LOSING effort.

that was the era I became a deep fan as a kid. probably really started the next year...and yes, I was there the night that bastard "closed" the old place down

that said, I still 100% forgot Fred Kelley. I vividly remember Bug though

Fred...LOL

dasher said:
and everyone else. That was the year that magic johnson got the mvp of the carrier classic and Marty B didn't.

I was a junior and at that game. I wonder how many of our syracusefan family were also?

I was a junior and at that game. I wonder how many of our syracusefan family were also?
Present.

how in the hell was packer claiming it was a charge? He essentially had the defense split and they literally went under him. what an A s s hat.

what I dont get is why was WKU trying to score up 1 with a few seconds left? why not just dribble it out ?

Present. Magic played well, but Marty Byrnes wuz robbed!!!!

That was the first game I ever saw where the coaching staff (Judd Heathcoat, et al) held up signs to designate the offense/defense called.

Present, as a LeMoyne student. (The 4 teams in the Carrier Classic were Cuse, Mich St., Rhode Island and LeMoyne.)
Where are you now Jene Gray? (LeMoyne's star who was later an NBA draft pick by the San Diego Clippers, I think .)

Cover_of_New_X-Men_Vol._1_no._128.jpg
She's a star now!

Present, as a LeMoyne student. (The 4 teams in the Carrier Classic were Cuse, Mich St., Rhode Island and LeMoyne.)
Where are you now Jene Gray? (LeMoyne's star who was later an NBA draft pick by the San Diego Clippers, I think .)

Lives in Baltimore now. Was a 7th round pick by the Clippers. Inducted into the Le Moyne Athletics Hall of Fame in 1991.

I was at the CC. I brought it up to Magic when I met him in a business mtg a few years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom