Syracuse’s potential under Fran Brown | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse’s potential under Fran Brown

“I guarantee he will sign a top 50 class in his first cycle, and that hasn’t been done since 2007”

well he’s not wrong. Fran is pushing for top 30 with the portal top 25, and if this mystery five star “steal” actually happens, he may pull off a top 20 class in total.

I can’t wait for the season to start.

Winning is everything. I spent all last year talking about the championship game in Men's Soccer (which by the way, was a lot of fun). We're winning at recruiting and I can't stay away from a forum page I only glanced at previously.

Fran is trending ... twice :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 6.16.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 6.16.23 PM.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 112
I just saw a story on ESPN that Coach Deion "Prime Time" Sanders has the number 49 recruiting class.

He probably had a top 10 class last year, as he flipped 40+ guys on their roster.

They started out great, and then reality set back in.

Coach Fran's first class is great, but if we want future classes to be as good or better, we have to win 8 games next year.

I also think a lot of people tired of Deions schtick and being in the spotlight for the wrong reasons this year.

While winning still has to happen, I think Frans message of developing these boys into young men and the DART philosophy is going to be more of a consistent long term selling point than Deions party style life.

I just saw a story on ESPN that Coach Deion "Prime Time" Sanders has the number 49 recruiting class.

He probably had a top 10 class last year, as he flipped 40+ guys on their roster.

Coach Fran's first class is great, but if we want future classes to be as good or better, we have to win 8 games next year.

Negative.

8 isn’t a magic #.

We just can’t only win 4 and then get blown the FFF out in most of the rest of them, like Prime did.

Let’s first get into a bowl for the 3rd straight year.

Anything beyond that is great, and IF we can win 8 or more games -
Barbecue sauce!

I also think a lot of people tired of Deions schtick and being in the spotlight for the wrong reasons this year.

While winning still has to happen, I think Frans message of developing these boys into young men and the DART philosophy is going to be more of a consistent long term selling point than Deions party style life.
Notice how this fits with FLJ our women's basketball coach CAB, Character, Academic, and Then Basketball. We have winners when it comes to head coaches, they get it.

Negative.

8 isn’t a magic #.

We just can’t only win 4 and then get blown the FFF out in most of the rest of them, like Prime did.

Let’s first get into a bowl for the 3rd straight year.

Anything beyond that is great, and IF we can win 8 or more games -
Barbecue sauce!

We have our easiest schedule in quite some time, and for quite some time. We have to make hay this year. It only gets harder after this. If you want to draw 4 and 5 stars next year, then we have to make a run at the top of the ACC, not play in the Smuckers Jelly Bowl.

Fran went and got the win vs Prime. I actually think Fran will attract a different type kid and family than Prime.

Thankfully, unlike Colorado who had a meat grinder schedule in the PAC-12, Fran gets to compete against a buttery soft schedule next season.

Fran went and got the win vs Prime. I actually think Fran will attract a different type kid and family than Prime.
Given Frans focus on Academics, and Deions focus on being and/or getting to the show, I’d wager you are right. We won’t be attracting the same type of person as Colorado. I doubt we will be in too many head to head battles with Colorado for that reason, even if both clubs offer a lot of the same athletes.

i hope Fran blows up this narrative:
"The reality, though, is that Syracuse is one of the toughest jobs in the country when it comes to recruiting. It’s very cold. And it’s not close to areas that produce a lot of Power 5-quality players. New Jersey is sneaky talented, but Syracuse is still three-plus hours away from Bergen County"

I almost got suckered into believing it over the past 10 or 15 years. Then you see what's happened over the past 2 weeks and where some of these Jersey guys rank nationally and say "it can be done". And the weather thing is such a lazy comment. Do they write the same about Minnesota and Wisconsin? It's not like we play outside. We play in an indoor stadium. Geez..

Last edited:
i hope Fran blows up this narrative:
"The reality, though, is that Syracuse is one of the toughest jobs in the country when it comes to recruiting. It’s very cold. And it’s not close to areas that produce a lot of Power 5-quality players. New Jersey is sneaky talented, but Syracuse is still three-plus hours away from Bergen County"

I almost got suckered into believing it over the past 10 or 15 years. Then you see what's happened over the past 2 weeks and where some of these Jersey guys rank nationally and say "it can be done". And the weather thing is such a lazy comment. Do they write the same about Minnesota and Wisconsin? It's not like we play outside. We play in an indoor stadium. Geez..

We've definitely heard this narrative forever... so I thought it would be interesting to compare actual climate data for some other northern P5 teams to Syracuse. I put the following locations into a website that compares climate data for different locations. I think it's pretty interesting. Unfortunately the site only lets you compare up to 6 locations so these are the ones I kept. Hopefully the link works for everyone else!

Weather Comparison

Syracuse, NY
Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
Notre Dame (South Bend, IN)
Iowa (Iowa City, IA)
Penn State (State College, PA)
Wisconsin (Madison, WI)

1703163184152.png

We've definitely heard this narrative forever... so I thought it would be interesting to compare actual climate data for some other northern P5 teams to Syracuse. I put the following locations into a website that compares climate data for different locations. I think it's pretty interesting. Unfortunately the site only lets you compare up to 6 locations so these are the ones I kept. Hopefully the link works for everyone else!

Weather Comparison

Syracuse, NY
Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
Iowa (Iowa City, IA)
Wisconsin (Madison, WI)

View attachment 235552
Link works. Great job. Narrative blown up. Send to Fran so he can reference on acc pm next time

I think Prime is smoke and mirrors. I don’t foresee him being very successful at Colorado. He may get them to a 5-7 win level but my gut says that’s the peak.

Fran Brown for SI Sportsperson of the Year in 2024!

Weather Comparison

Syracuse, NY
Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
Iowa (Iowa City, IA)
Wisconsin (Madison, WI)

View attachment 235552

We can warm ourselves with the blown-up narrative!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom