Syracuse’s potential under Fran Brown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse’s potential under Fran Brown

im sick of the weather excuse. yes it sucks here in the winter. I hate it and curse my parents for settling here for that reason. However people make too much of a big deal about this. My god we had 60 inches of snow last year, it hasnt really snowed in March in almost 3 years and its going to be 53 and sunny on Christmas. I hate it when they lump Syracuse into places like Buffalo, etc.

Aside from a few days a year it never gets super cold. Way worse at times in the locations you mentioned. I would love FB to make this a staple when he speaks to the media so about the weather. Oh yea and we play in a GD dome for chtist sakes

There isnt a bigger winter hater on this board trust me. If I can somehow deal with being an extreme hater then these players will be fine

We've definitely heard this narrative forever... so I thought it would be interesting to compare actual climate data for some other northern P5 teams to Syracuse. I put the following locations into a website that compares climate data for different locations. I think it's pretty interesting. Unfortunately the site only lets you compare up to 6 locations so these are the ones I kept. Hopefully the link works for everyone else!

Weather Comparison

Syracuse, NY
Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
Notre Dame (South Bend, IN)
Iowa (Iowa City, IA)
Penn State (State College, PA)
Wisconsin (Madison, WI)

View attachment 235552
We play in a climate controlled dome. None of the northeast schools can claim that. Our games have perfect temperature every single time. I am so sick of this narrative. South Bend is one of the most miserable places in the winter. Penn State might as well be Siberia. Don't get me started on Madison. This is nonsense.

I think the true potential will be met if we can keep most of the talent he brings in. The more talent the more good players that seek playing time at other schools. That is a problem for the haves. I will be thrilled if we become one of the haves.

We play in a climate controlled dome. None of the northeast schools can claim that. Our games have perfect temperature every single time. I am so sick of this narrative. South Bend is one of the most miserable places in the winter. Penn State might as well be Siberia. Don't get me started on Madison. This is nonsense.
Yeah, we play in a Dome but the kids have to live there mostly year round. I'm from Pulaski NY went to Clarkson University and I love the snow... but walking across campus in Potsdam NY during January/February was BRUTAL most of the time just due to the wind chill (and sometimes snow).

I don't think the narrative is really around playing conditions... it's around the fact that you have to live in Syracuse NY while you go to school there.

Regardless, we are certainly not alone in the weather department and I think the SU campus is very nice compared to some of the other P5 schools I've been to.

Yeah, we play in a Dome but the kids have to live there mostly year round. I'm from Pulaski NY went to Clarkson University and I love the snow... but walking across campus in Potsdam NY during January/February was BRUTAL most of the time just due to the wind chill (and sometimes snow).

I don't think the narrative is really around playing conditions... it's around the fact that you have to live in Syracuse NY while you go to school there.

Regardless, we are certainly not alone in the weather department and I think the SU campus is very nice compared to some of the other P5 schools I've been to.
The living part is no different than any northeast/ northern midwest school in college football. Pulaski is typically a bit worse than Syracuse also as you know. Potsdam area is bitter cold.

my son went to canton. Not a ton of snow but bitter cold at times

Ill add that ive lived in Syracuse my entire life, besides a 3 year stint in Boston. Boston winter was leagues colder than Syracuse has ever been. When that ocean wind smacks you in the face when you walk out of your door in the morning its the worst feeling ever. Ill take more snow and less cold anyday of the week. Chicago is another area that is way worse in the winter. All of the cold without the reward of beautiful snow.

We've definitely heard this narrative forever... so I thought it would be interesting to compare actual climate data for some other northern P5 teams to Syracuse. I put the following locations into a website that compares climate data for different locations. I think it's pretty interesting. Unfortunately the site only lets you compare up to 6 locations so these are the ones I kept. Hopefully the link works for everyone else!

Weather Comparison

Syracuse, NY
Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
Notre Dame (South Bend, IN)
Iowa (Iowa City, IA)
Penn State (State College, PA)
Wisconsin (Madison, WI)

View attachment 235552
This whole, " its cold in Cuse" is a lame, BS excuse for not winning. Its cold in Michigan. They always suck. The Dakota's have 6 of the 9 coldest cities in the continental US, yet keep winning FCS Championships. I guess FCS kids can't feel the cold.

There are PLENTY of kids that don't want 100+ degree summers. 40 and 50 degrees, is FINALLY football weather.

Kids don't want to play for a losing team. Its cold in Syracuse is a total BS, losing mentality, EXCUSE.

Pretty much ALL of the OG B1G teams are located in Siberia.

And everybody keep leaving out Minnesota.
Minnesota is flipping MISERABLE in the winter.
Snow AND extreme cold. sign me up!!

Sparty?
Yeah, East Lansing is pretty much Yakutsk in the wintertime.

And THE OSU ain't located in a tropical paradise either.

I'd take Cuse with the DOME over any and all of them.

Ill add that ive lived in Syracuse my entire life, besides a 3 year stint in Boston. Boston winter was leagues colder than Syracuse has ever been. When that ocean wind smacks you in the face when you walk out of your door in the morning its the worst feeling ever. Ill take more snow and less cold anyday of the week. Chicago is another area that is way worse in the winter. All of the cold without the reward of beautiful snow.
I'm north of Boston. We surf all winter. Its cold. So we put on stuff.. Thats it. No big deal. I work outside- all winter. Its better than when its hot in the summer. Because I own CLOTHES. (Hint. This is the answer)

im sick of the weather excuse. yes it sucks here in the winter. I hate it and curse my parents for settling here for that reason. However people make too much of a big deal about this. My god we had 60 inches of snow last year, it hasnt really snowed in March in almost 3 years and its going to be 53 and sunny on Christmas. I hate it when they lump Syracuse into places like Buffalo, etc.

Aside from a few days a year it never gets super cold. Way worse at times in the locations you mentioned. I would love FB to make this a staple when he speaks to the media so about the weather. Oh yea and we play in a GD dome for chtist sakes

There isnt a bigger winter hater on this board trust me. If I can somehow deal with being an extreme hater then these players will be fine
Live in Alabama for a couple of days in any month June through October. You can always get warmer. There are legal and aesthetic limits as to how cool you can get in public.

i hope Fran blows up this narrative:
"The reality, though, is that Syracuse is one of the toughest jobs in the country when it comes to recruiting. It’s very cold. And it’s not close to areas that produce a lot of Power 5-quality players. New Jersey is sneaky talented, but Syracuse is still three-plus hours away from Bergen County"

I almost got suckered into believing it over the past 10 or 15 years. Then you see what's happened over the past 2 weeks and where some of these Jersey guys rank nationally and say "it can be done". And the weather thing is such a lazy comment. Do they write the same about Minnesota and Wisconsin? It's not like we play outside. We play in an indoor stadium. Geez..
Here's the response to that..

Half of the teams in the NFL are in cities just as cold, are players not going to go to the NFL because of the weather as well?

Live in Alabama for a couple of days in any month June through October. You can always get warmer. There are legal and aesthetic limits as to how cool you can get in public.
hotter the better for me

I'm north of Boston. We surf all winter. Its cold. So we put on stuff.. Thats it. No big deal. I work outside- all winter. Its better than when its hot in the summer. Because I own CLOTHES. (Hint. This is the answer)
Oh I work outside as well. I snowboard. My point is just that Syracuse isn't as bad as they love making it out to be when they negatively recruit us.

probably my problem. I wear shorts all winter and get weird looks when i go to wegmans when its 12 degrees outside

I just went over this list:

I count 4 four star guys, (using the transfer rating for transfers, not their HS rating) and 20 three stars. More important is their rankings at their position: 3 were top 20, 8 top 50 and 17 top 100. (The 3 are part of the 8 who were part of the 17.) Of course, we may not be done.

I looked at my 2023 football preview, where I noted these things and we had 8 four stars and 64 three stars, (and yet, inadequate depth). So we've gone from a ratio of 1/8 to 1/5. The position rankings and the star rankings often made little sense when compared. We had 7 top 20 guys, (sure we did), 17 top 50 and 40 top 100.

What positions did we fill?
Athlete - 4
Edge - 4
Wideout - 4
LB- 2
OL- 2
QB- 2
RB- 2
TE- 2
DL-2
S-1

Again, we are not done but we really need some well-rated OLs. Maybe the number of returning guys there limited to the spots we could recruit to?

We get a lot of snow, (but not as much as the communities north of us. But it melts. Our winter weather varies due to being close enough to the coast and the Gulf Stream. There's less snow but more cold and less relief from it west of the Great Lakes.

In Minnesota you can admire a snowflake as it falls from the sky in November and pick it up and admire it again in April.

The top two guys now are from Texas A&M. They've lost 13 players from their all-time great 2023 recruiting class, the most players Aggie fans have seen abandon ship since the Junction Boys.

Oh I work outside as well. I snowboard. My point is just that Syracuse isn't as bad as they love making it out to be when they negatively recruit us.
Don't you think a southern kid would have a BLAST snowboarding? They would. Tons of stuff to do in the snow, that you could never do down south. You just have to do it.. Its an experience. Thats how I look at winter. Enjoy it - because you CAN. That's how I'd recruit kids.

Fran knows it doesn't really matter. They can go home in Jan, and spring break, and get the best of both worlds. Its not the bugaboo people pretend it is.

*i know a bunch of guys that wear shorts most of the winter. We're colder than Cuse. 13th coldest city. Last year, our mountain recorded the coldest wind chill on earth. -108 below. Suck it up.

Don't you think a southern kid would have a BLAST snowboarding? They would. Tons of stuff to do in the snow, that you could never do down south. You just have to do it.. Its an experience. Thats how I look at winter. Enjoy it - because you CAN. That's how I'd recruit kids.

Fran knows it doesn't really matter. They can go home in Jan, and spring break, and get the best of both worlds. Its not the bugaboo people pretend it is.

*i know a bunch of guys that wear shorts most of the winter. We're colder than Cuse. 13th coldest city.
I always say... id rather some snow that you can have fun with than mudslides, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc. Haven't seen anyone surfing on a storm surge lately. Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom