Syracuse 2022 Strength of Schedule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse 2022 Strength of Schedule

Depending how it goes, UVA or BC could be favored. I'll guess the over under will be set at 3 wins.

As a fan, I'll take those 4, though. Louisville seems to have our number, so I'll take WF as a 5th win possibility. Between Florida State and Purdue, I like our chances more with FSU. We tend to play them well.

My fan head says 5 wins. My fan heart says we get to 6, and maybe upset another team. No idea who. Dino has beaten Pitt once?

Of course, if the offense has a more balanced threat? We could surprise. I think our defense will be good vs. The pass. Worried vs. Run. If we can get ahead early, control TOP on the ground? It could be a good year.
we beat pitt in our 10-3 season

The defense should be better as a bi-product of a better offense in theory. We lost a lot up front, hopefully we don’t fall off there.

This team can be successful against good competition.

The defense should be better as a bi-product of a better offense in theory. We lost a lot up front, hopefully we don’t fall off there.

This team can be successful against good competition.

Now imagine that this team adds 2 big 300 lb DTs in the portal after graduation in May, and an interior lineman, maybe even 1 more experienced WR.

Then I like our chances to go bowling an awful lot.

He’s faced tougher schedules on the whole more than anyone since P.
I was genuinely curious about this, so I took a look. Here are our SOSs each year post Coach P.

Robinson (average SOS: 30.5)
2005: 42
2006: 14
2007: 32
2008: 34

Marrone (average SOS: 52.3)
2009: 36
2010: 73
2011: 55
2012: 45

Shafer (average SOS: 45.7)
2013: 57
2014: 41
2015: 39

Babers (average SOS: 42)
2016: 8
2017: 8
2018: 61
2019: 73
2020: 49
2021: 53

Conclusion: I think it's perfectly fair to give Dino a pass for our 4-8 seasons in 2016 and 2017. He was implementing a new system using inherited players and playing brutal schedules mostly due to FSU, Clemson and Louisville all being elite at the same time. But, our schedules for the past four seasons have been very manageable. I just don't see how we can use that as an excuse at this point.

I was genuinely curious about this, so I took a look. Here are our SOSs each year post Coach P.

Conclusion: I think it's perfectly fair to give Dino a pass for our 4-8 seasons in 2016 and 2017. He was implementing a new system using inherited players and playing brutal schedules mostly due to FSU, Clemson and Louisville all being elite at the same time. But, our schedules for the past four seasons have been very manageable. I just don't see how we can use that as an excuse at this point.

Well, for starters, we're not playing those same teams from last year. We have added Purdue and Notre Dame. And I don't think the ACC will be as "down" again this year. Just look at the pre-season rankings for many of our league clubs.

Well, for starters, we're not playing those same teams from last year. We have added Purdue and Notre Dame. And I don't think the ACC will be as "down" again this year. Just look at the pre-season rankings for many of our league clubs.
In 2019, the excuse was “Dino just led us to a Top 15 season and we should be grateful.” OK fair enough.

In 2020, the excuse was “Covid.” OK fair enough.

In 2021, the excuse was “OK he just needs some new coordinators to turn this thing around.” OK fair enough.

This has to be it. I’m not aware of any recent historical examples of a P5 coach having one winning season in seven years and keeping his job.

Going by your numbers Babers last 4 years SOS was easier than Marrone’s and people like to point out how easy Marrone had it in the BE.

We improved 4 games with a competent running game and a solid defense. Now we get to add a modern passing game and a really good special teams coach. Our best DL coach is again coaching the DL. If we don't lose 10 guys to injury, I could see this group grinding to 6 or 7 wins, even against that schedule.

Imagine if we had much better offensive game plans, and better decision making at crunch time, based on analytics, not hunches, and whether your formerly bold coach has gone all turtle on you.
One would hope we’d improve on only winning 1 game. It’s not like we went from 5 wins to 9

Three of those wins were against Ohio, Albany and Liberty

Traditionally, the player on offense always has a slight advantage over the player on defense because he knows where he's going on the snap, the defender doesn't and the defender has to react to the offensive player's first move.

If the WR in our system has to read the DB to know which way to cut, or if they face press coverage on the line of scrimmage, which side do I run toward to (a) get free from the defender, but also (b) be in the area I'm supposed to be in for the design of this play?

It's kind of like when you hear defensive coaches (or basketball coaches) say, "They're thinking too much out there; I want them to play more instinctively, more naturally. Just go have fun out there."

If our offensive guys (esp. WRs) can just execute a play without having to do a shuffle step on the snap to try to get away from their defender, or trick their defender into thinking they want to go one way instead of another, that slows you down. That takes a moment.
I thought that might be what you were getting at but I wondered if there might not be a more technical explanation as well. Thanks

In 2019, the excuse was “Dino just led us to a Top 15 season and we should be grateful.” OK fair enough.

In 2021, the excuse was “OK he just needs some new coordinators to turn this thing around.” OK fair enough.

This has to be it. I’m not aware of any recent historical examples of a P5 coach having one winning season in seven years and keeping his job.

Y'know, I just want to care. I want to have some fun watching the games on the weekend.

Last year, once we got rid of DeVito and Taj, we were pretty competitive for almost every remaining game, and nearly qualified for a bowl.

If you want Dino gone at any cost, fine, I won't argue. But this team, and this coaching staff, has a ton of promise. We're just a few bricks shy of a load.

Last edited:

how about the excuse that who says we can do better than Dino?

how about the excuse that who says we can do better than Dino?

We'll find out next year. I see so much talent on this staff, and aside from a couple positions, we have some pretty good players. I hated losing so many guys mid-season to the portal, but geez, I have not been this excited since the handover from Dungy to DeVito.

Respectfully, I really don’t think that’s it at all.

I think the decision by JW was, Do we stand a better chance of turning this ship around by wiping the slate clean (again) and hoping we pick someone better? Or do we stand a better chance by identifying specifically which areas need to be corrected and seeking to upgrade those areas. At the same time, using some of the buyout monies to pony up for new assistant coaches in key areas.

It was a bold move, and not one most ADs would feel comfortable making. And I respect the hell out of him for making that decision. I’d like to think I would have done the same. It’s certainly what I was advocating for. Like you, I want Dino to succeed. I also don’t want to start over in favor of another three year plan and entirely new systems and players.

I am hoping with everything I’ve got that this works. If it does, it will be a remarkable feat.

I love him as a person and want him here. But it’s a results oriented business.

Yes, and this is the year. Everything is the best it's been. I just hope that if we get another 5 or 6 win season, that they try to keep this crew together, because if you let these players have a year under this OC and QB coach and analytics team connected to all those great BYU quarterbacks, this could be a hell of a program again in just a couple years.

Respectfully, I really don’t think that’s it at all.

I think the decision by JW was, Do we stand a better chance of turning this ship around by wiping the slate clean (again) and hoping we pick someone better? Or do we stand a better chance by identifying specifically which areas need to be corrected and seeking to upgrade those areas. At the same time, using some of the buyout monies to pony up for new assistant coaches in key areas.

It was a bold move, and not one most ADs would feel comfortable making. And I respect the hell out of him for making that decision. I’d like to think I would have done the same. It’s certainly what I was advocating for. Like you, I want Dino to succeed. I also don’t want to start over in favor of another three year plan and entirely new systems and players.

I am hoping with everything I’ve got that this works. If it does, it will be a remarkable feat.

Fine post! Totally agree! Wildhack just pushed his chips into middle of the table.
Let's hope this crew can make it work. You don't see guys who are 27 years old who are being asked to be coordinators, for chrissakes. This is a hell of a coaching staff, and if coaching still counts in college football (and I think it does), then these guys deserve a chance.

Fine post! Totally agree! Wildhack just pushed his chips into middle of the table.
Let's hope this crew can make it work. You don't see guys who are 27 years old who are being asked to be coordinators, for chrissakes. This is a hell of a coaching staff, and if coaching still counts in college football (and I think it does), then these guys deserve a chance.
The last time we had a great offensive coordinator was Deleone with the freeze option. These 2 need 2 years to get things going, most of the pieces are in place with some decent depth, which we haven't had in a long time.

For these reasons, I am giving this year's Syracuse program a lot of leeway this year to right the ship. And I think we all should as well.

I hear what you are saying, but last year we faced Ohio, Albany, Liberty, a Rutgers team that finished 5-8, and a less formidable than usual ACC. We went 2-7 vs the P5 members of that slate. It would seem that Dino got his Get Out of Jail free card last year. Yeah, this year's schedule is harder but last year was the golden opportunity and we squandered it.

I get that he got a free pass his first two years because he was rebuilding from Scott Shaffer. I don't want to get too deeply into the mental acid trip of giving him a pass because Dino is rebuilding from...Dino Babers? Not a road I want to go down mentally.

Look, I just want to see some real results in the win column. I want Dino to be successful because I want SU to be successful. Let me repeat that; I want Dino to be successful. Let there be no mistake about that. We have done some things on the staff side and on the recruiting trail that are definitely interesting, but activity without productivity is not what this is all about.

We play some good teams but that is the schedule we have chosen. We are in a P5 conference. If you want to swim with sharks, you can't complain about the teeth.

Let's get it done

Go SU!

The last time we had a great offensive coordinator was Deleone with the freeze option. These 2 need 2 years to get things going, most of the pieces are in place with some decent depth, which we haven't had in a long time.

Kevin Rogers ring a bell? He was the OC during the McNabb years, when we laid a 70 on Rutgers. i agree, Bob, that these guys look like quite a crew on paper. Very excited.

I hear what you are saying, but last year we faced Ohio, Albany, Liberty, a Rutgers team that finished 5-8, and a less formidable than usual ACC. We went 2-7 vs the P5 members of that slate. It would seem that Dino got his Get Out of Jail free card last year. Yeah, this year's schedule is harder but last year was the golden opportunity and we squandered it.

I get that he got a free pass his first two years because he was rebuilding from Scott Shaffer. I don't want to get too deeply into the mental acid trip of giving him a pass because Dino is rebuilding from...Dino Babers? Not a road I want to go down mentally.

Look, I just want to see some real results in the win column. I want Dino to be successful because I want SU to be successful. Let me repeat that; I want Dino to be successful. Let there be no mistake about that. We have done some things on the staff side and on the recruiting trail that are definitely interesting, but activity without productivity is not what this is all about.

We play some good teams but that is the schedule we have chosen. We are in a P5 conference. If you want to swim with sharks, you can't complain about the teeth.

Let's get it done

Go SU!
Given the way we are putting together next year's team, and given how poorly attended and watched the minor bowls were this year, did 'not making' a bowl really matter this year? I guess it is a measuring stick of sorts, but the extra practices were pretty much irrelevant to what we are going to do next year, and some of those minor bowls were embarrassing.
I will take it one step further.. I am not particularly interested in only 6 wins next year. I want to be good and relevant and not sure 6 wins achieves that.