Syracuse FB Coaching Stepping Stone | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse FB Coaching Stepping Stone

mlbball99

2nd String
Was recently thinking about this after watching HCDM coach on Sunday. He for one was suited for the NFL. There was no doubt he would leave us and when the NFL came calling, how could he not go.

I know we always have this stigma of Syracuse being a stepping stone and not a landing spot, but when did that theory every come about? It has never happened (with the exception of HCDM leaving for NFL). I really think Dino is here for the long run. HCSS would have done the same had he have success.

On a total side note, was watching film from SU-FSU in 2015. We look like such a new, complete and better team nowadays.

Was recently thinking about this after watching HCDM coach on Sunday. He for one was suited for the NFL. There was no doubt he would leave us and when the NFL came calling, how could he not go.

I know we always have this stigma of Syracuse being a stepping stone and not a landing spot, but when did that theory every come about? It has never happened (with the exception of HCDM leaving for NFL). I really think Dino is here for the long run. HCSS would have done the same had he have success.

On a total side note, was watching film from SU-FSU in 2015. We look like such a new, complete and better team nowadays.

Money drives everything. As an ACC school, the only worry is someone offering more money or the SEC allure.

You could consider Florida State a stepping-stone job since Fisher left it for Texas A&M.

Coach Mac went to the NFL.

it was somewhat of a unique situation in that Dick wanted to finish his career in New England, the Patriots needed some energy after the Rod Rust snooze fest of 1990 and a guy with a degree of integrity since they were coming off a major scandal with Lisa Olson. He was the wrong hire but the rationale was right.

With regards to Dino, no one knows what is in his heart with regards to other gigs. I don't think he has any real NFL connections so i doubt he'd make that jump (it's a boys club of networking there). If he wants another college gig he'll leave. We won't know until schools call and that'll be a result of a strong season.

Ha! Yup. No doubt
I, for one, cannot wait.

Calling it now, the Dino extension/tinfoil hat threads will surpass the tyus battle/taurean thompson/thomas bryant threads in breakdowns.

I, for one, cannot wait.

Calling it now, the Dino extension/tinfoil hat threads will surpass the tyus battle/taurean thompson/thomas bryant threads in breakdowns.
I know! I'll open this thread after we win on Saturday and read posts through the slats between my fingers

There's virtually no job that isn't a stepping stone. Maybe 3-4 college jobs that aren't, and even they are stepping stones for the NFL.

It wasn't that long ago that Dennis Franchione left Alabama for Texas A&M. Let that sink in.

Syracuse may be more of a stepping stone that some others that can offer more in the way of facilities, resources and athletes, but it's hardly worth worrying about. And there's always unique situations where a guy that could step up doesn't.

Like FSU basketball with Leonard Hamilton. I'm not claiming the guy is a top 10 coach in the game or anything, but he's above what FSU's resources and support dictates. If he was 32 years old when FSU won the ACC title and went to four straight NCAAs, he'd have been gone. But he's old, he's already pretty much done everything in the game, he's not under much pressure and so there's not much mutual interest either way in him going somewhere else.

Dino's obviously not old, but you never never know when a first tier coach and a second-tier program are stay a good fit.

Besides, there are worse things than your coach hitting it big and becoming looked at as an attractive destination because it IS a stepping stone, like Houston or Cincinnati, or what Tulsa was in college basketball for about 20 years. It's at least a step above recent history.

There's virtually no job that isn't a stepping stone. Maybe 3-4 college jobs that aren't, and even they are stepping stones for the NFL.

It wasn't that long ago that Dennis Franchione left Alabama for Texas A&M. Let that sink in.

Syracuse may be more of a stepping stone that some others that can offer more in the way of facilities, resources and athletes, but it's hardly worth worrying about. And there's always unique situations where a guy that could step up doesn't.

Like FSU basketball with Leonard Hamilton. I'm not claiming the guy is a top 10 coach in the game or anything, but he's above what FSU's resources and support dictates. If he was 32 years old when FSU won the ACC title and went to four straight NCAAs, he'd have been gone. But he's old, he's already pretty much done everything in the game, he's not under much pressure and so there's not much mutual interest either way in him going somewhere else.

Dino's obviously not old, but you never never know when a first tier coach and a second-tier program are stay a good fit.

Besides, there are worse things than your coach hitting it big and becoming looked at as an attractive destination because it IS a stepping stone, like Houston or Cincinnati, or what Tulsa was in college basketball for about 20 years. It's at least a step above recent history.

Very good points, Lou.

I certainly would trade our last 14 years of largely vomit-inducing football for Cincy-esque run of Dantonio, Brian Kelly, Butch Jones and re-treaded Tommy Tuberville.

If Dino gets us back winning consistently and leaves then I hope his tenure is the catalyst for a succession of talented coaches as you describe above.

Dino is 57 I think.

Also agree, if you can fund a coach and his staff somewhere around the bottom of the top 25 (would be approx $3.5m/yr head coach and another $3.5 for staff) with reasonable facilities, then you just have to find the right fit. But even if a guy WANTS to stay, he is not going stay at a job paying $2M when he is offered $4M. You have to get close to they competition, not nessessarily match it.

Hey Lou what (and where) can we go to find a good FSU football message board?

According to a recent chat, DB is out of here as soon as he has one good winning season. Rumored to have hired an agent after last year's Clemson win. Who knows if it's true or conjecture, but I wouldn't be so sure that he's here for the long haul.

His buyout is massive. If we were to lose him, it would be to a blue blood that we can’t compete with financially regardless.

If he gets those kind of offers and wants to leave, he leaves.

No sense wringing hands over something so uncontrollable and unpredictable. We’ve had this conversation every season he’s been here.

I’d say enjoy the ride. If we’re in a position to lose our HC, that’s probably an enviable position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom