Syracuse football ranked 13th-best coaching job in ACC, per Athlon poll | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football ranked 13th-best coaching job in ACC, per Athlon poll

Coach Mac was not the great coach many here, who were not around for him, would like to believe. Half the time, he didn't know how many time outs he had. He caught lightening with Donnie Mcpherson.

Let me preface this by saying that I love Coach Mac. I met him a couple times as a kid and he couldn't have been nicer to me.

But I can't for the life of me figure how he had a good enough coaching career to warrant being in the Hall of Fame.

There is no way that SU had "elite facilities" 15 years ago (2000). Our lack of facilities circa 2000 is one of the biggest reasons for the decline of the program.

IPF is huge, next up will be the remodel of the Dome which i believe will include much more than a new roof. Better times are ahead

It had better come with much more than a new roof. A new roof and a refurbished west wing might impress the local fans and mid-major recruits but not sure that will be enough to get us back to perennial top 25.

We need a new stadium with a retractable roof -- the latter might be an extra $25-50M and get used once a year -- but more importantly it will let us stand apart from the crowd. I'd be all for putting this on campus but obviously financial support would never happen this way.

Isn't there an upstate competition getting underway for three $500M jackpots in state funding? I believe any proposal requires a 5:1 to 10:1 backing in private dollars. The only private businesses in CNY with that kind of capital are SU and Destiny. Just saying. I love the on-campus atmosphere, but I'll take a shiny new stadium at the inner harbor if that means we'll have a relevant football program again someday.

Whitey23 said:
Just 15 years ago, this ranking would be absurd. This once-proud program was a national power with elite facilities, fan support and brand recognition. Yet, as population trends continue to move away from the Northeast and Cuse's once state-of-the-art stadium becomes more outdated, winning has gotten more difficult. And the fans aren't coming out like they used too. It's impossible to recruit to upstate New York and the move to the ACC hasn't opened up a Southern pipeline like anticipated. Finally, Syracuse administration clearly are more committed to basketball. Then Mink added his opinion: 12. Syracuse Syracuse has a nice football history, but so much of it came before many recruits were even born. http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...best_coaching_job_in_acc_per_athlon_poll.html

15 years ago we were coming off of 6-5 and 7-5 seasons. We hadn't finished in the top 15 in eight years, so that's a pretty low bar to be considered a national power. Population trends had nothing to do with hiring Greg Robinson and losing Doug Marrone. Recruiting upstate NY is not impossible, it's just yields paltry returns. Who expected a southern "pipeline"?

In other words, while I don't disagree with the ranking necessarily, the logic behind it is idiotic.

Mike London says, "Hi!" We're literally and figuratively paying through the nose.
Yeah whoever in the UVA AD that negotiated London's buyout should be gone. UVA is paying for that by being stuck with London. How many in the UVA fanbase liked giving London another year? 10-15%?

The next coaching hire will tell the tale. I get that Shafer was hired under less than ideal circumstances, but there isn't another school in the ACC that would have hired him as a head coach, then or now. There was always the chance that you luck out and the guy is a genius, and there's still that chance, but on the face of it, the guy is not really an ACC caliber resume, much less a top half guy.

I have to agree with those that think an up-tempo spread offense is the future for Syracuse. That's the way you do it, and you get great athletes that don't have the size and measurable to break in at Alabama, FSU, Florida, etc. Those schools don't want receivers under 6'2" or corners under 6'0". They don't want 6"1" QBs or 170lb running backs.

But there are still a hell of a lot of great,great players in that mold, and schools like Oregon, Baylor, etc get those guys, put them out in space, and out-scheme and wear down other teams. I know Stanford is probably the model, or BC of 10 years ago, but it's by far the slower more difficult path.

That's what I just don't get about what you guys are trying to do on offense and the whole hard nosed thing. You're facing a serious talent issue, both on the roster and your current recruiting profile, and you seem to be trying to run an offense that is really dependent on imposing superiority. Honestly, I'd go spread, or I'd even hire the guy from Navy, before going with another power offense approach. Something that can take advantage of the players that are available to you now.

Yeah whoever in the UVA AD that negotiated London's buyout should be gone. UVA is paying for that by being stuck with London. How many in the UVA fanbase liked giving London another year? 10-15%?
More like 1.0%-1.5% :(

The next coaching hire will tell the tale. I get that Shafer was hired under less than ideal circumstances, but there isn't another school in the ACC that would have hired him as a head coach, then or now. There was always the chance that you luck out and the guy is a genius, and there's still that chance, but on the face of it, the guy is not really an ACC caliber resume, much less a top half guy.

I have to agree with those that think an up-tempo spread offense is the future for Syracuse. That's the way you do it, and you get great athletes that don't have the size and measurable to break in at Alabama, FSU, Florida, etc. Those schools don't want receivers under 6'2" or corners under 6'0". They don't want 6"1" QBs or 170lb running backs.

But there are still a hell of a lot of great,great players in that mold, and schools like Oregon, Baylor, etc get those guys, put them out in space, and out-scheme and wear down other teams. I know Stanford is probably the model, or BC of 10 years ago, but it's by far the slower more difficult path.

That's what I just don't get about what you guys are trying to do on offense and the whole hard nosed thing. You're facing a serious talent issue, both on the roster and your current recruiting profile, and you seem to be trying to run an offense that is really dependent on imposing superiority. Honestly, I'd go spread, or I'd even hire the guy from Navy, before going with another power offense approach. Something that can take advantage of the players that are available to you now.
This just makes far too much sense.