Syracuse football spring game attendance increases modestly for second straight year up to 4,071 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football spring game attendance increases modestly for second straight year up to 4,071

I think it will be a slow increase each year as long as the team continues to improve. Keep having 7-6 to 11-2 years and the numbers will slowly climb. Saw the coaches faces when they came out of the tunnel...made a point of it and saw a bit of disappointment in some of them. Money isn't the only thing that keeps them at SU. Granted, it is only a spring game and as long as the numbers go up during the season to 44K or so we'll be fine but the constant uphill battle to recruit players and try to see the school and as I've said many times here...we fans have to do our part. This ball IS in our hands even though I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir but still...I'd love to have a full dome game in and game out.

I agree with you. As disappointing as the Spring Game attendance is I think the coaches have accepted that we will never draw 20k. That's really no big deal, but we can't be drawing 30k for home games. That's when we could start to see some problems. Being a private University we can't really pay what other schools do, so if the money isn't there, and the community doesn't care i'd be looking to move on as well.

It's a good thing we open up with an FCS school this year, and then a very winnable 2nd game. 2-0 is essential not only for the team, but in getting fans to go to the Maryland game.

The lax game at Hobart had to take some attendance. Don't want that on the same day ideally , unless it's a home night game.
Also the fact it was Easter weekend (for those living outside CNY).

I agree with you. As disappointing as the Spring Game attendance is I think the coaches have accepted that we will never draw 20k. That's really no big deal, but we can't be drawing 30k for home games. That's when we could start to see some problems. Being a private University we can't really pay what other schools do, so if the money isn't there, and the community doesn't care i'd be looking to move on as well.

It's a good thing we open up with an FCS school this year, and then a very winnable 2nd game. 2-0 is essential not only for the team, but in getting fans to go to the Maryland game.
The fact that we got blown out against the two biggest ACC opponents isn't going to help drawing fairweather fans... as people have reiterated, we need to get off to a good start this year

TexanMark said:
I really think our norm should be 8-12k. We will never get 20k. We start putting together a couple Top 25 finishes and I think we can double the attendance.

With the improvements this year and some of the suggestions that were given to Dan in ticketing might pop that number up significantly,

Kids zone with Otto and Bounce castles etc
Basketball team on the concourses or at a booth in the stands to sign autographs pre game.
Lax game right after ----maybe, might make for a long day

This year the free hot dog and soda as well as the promotions, extra staff in the halls, speech from Schafer and exclusive season ticket holder section all great adds. Having at least a scrimmage is a must, the old stretch throw jog hit the showers will send us backwards. Good hard scrimmage Saturday well done.

During the Gait years etc, the spring game was always followed by a lacrosse game. And yes it did make for a long day, but who gives a damn?

Not to knock our fan base, but we could win the national championship, and still would never get 8-12k to the spring game. In our best days, we were never close. Anyone here have attendance numbers over the years?

No i dont think weve ever had more than 5000. Thats not saying we shouldnt be able to drum up that kinda support for the team. I do think the summer practices of McNabbs freshman year were well attended (SU always has the Fan day in the summer before practice starts). I remember that summer having a lot of coverage and interest around the program.

i think i remember having 20kish at some point in the 90's when the matched it with a hopkins lax game

Georgia-Tech-attendance-593x356.jpg

At least we had more than Georgia Tech.

it was raining all day on Friday night... and if you look closely there are quite a bit of people about the lower level sitting underneath the 2nd deck.

i think i remember having 20kish at some point in the 90's when the matched it with a hopkins lax game

Doubtful.

We always played Hopkins in mid-March (during the St Patty's Parade). Way too early for a Spring FB game.

There might have been 10k for Spring Football during the McNabb years. Never 20k.

Doubtful.

We always played Hopkins in mid-March (during the St Patty's Parade). Way too early for a Spring FB game.

There might have been 10k for Spring Football during the McNabb years. Never 20k.

hmmm... maybe i made that up in my head. Cant find anything of substance on the web prior to about 2003.

how abotu 4/14/1990 vs hobart we had 18,458. Could that have been the spring game i was thinking about?

also played hopkins on 3/24/90 to over 18k as well.

CusefanATL said:
how abotu 4/14/1990 vs hobart we had 18,458. Could that have been the spring game i was thinking about? also played hopkins on 3/24/90 to over 18k as well.
Could be. I remember some spring games being followed by Hobart games. My BIL almost got in a fight with a Hobart fan. I got lippy with him too, but he couldn't get to us because we were in the Don Elliot box. There's a throw back name drop for ya!!

how abotu 4/14/1990 vs hobart we had 18,458. Could that have been the spring game i was thinking about?

also played hopkins on 3/24/90 to over 18k as well.

That Hobart game was the last regular season appearance for the Gaits.

Don't remember if there was a football game earlier in the day. Can't imagine a huge crowd to see Billy Scharr vs Mark McDonald. Graves didn't emerge as the starter until August practice (after Scharr left, McDonald got hurt, and Lowery was ineligible). :D

Ottoble said:
With the improvements this year and some of the suggestions that were given to Dan in ticketing might pop that number up significantly, Kids zone with Otto and Bounce castles etc Basketball team on the concourses or at a booth in the stands to sign autographs pre game. Lax game right after ----maybe, might make for a long day This year the free hot dog and soda as well as the promotions, extra staff in the halls, speech from Schafer and exclusive season ticket holder section all great adds. Having at least a scrimmage is a must, the old stretch throw jog hit the showers will send us backwards. Good hard scrimmage Saturday well done.

I thought initial reports said there would be bouncy stuff for the kids. My 4 year old was bummed.

TheCusian said:
I thought initial reports said there would be bouncy stuff for the kids. My 4 year old was bummed.

Well my kids used them, so yeah they were there. Believe me I couldn't get them to stop.

I was at those high attendance lax games.
There were no Spring football games associated with them as far as I can recall.

lummgr said:
Well my kids used them, so yeah they were there. Believe me I couldn't get them to stop.

Now I'm in more trouble - where were they?

TheCusian said:
Now I'm in more trouble - where were they?
When they opened up the field for autographs etc, they blew up a bounce house in one corner of the end zone, and an inflatable giant slide in the other.

Germ factories. Hate em

I remember the Spring Game the year Chad Elliot transferred in and we were sitting in the upper deck. There was a lot of fanfare regarding him right after McNabb left. Now, I was young but I could swear looking back on it there were five figures in the stands that day.

I think there was a post on him here a couple years ago about what he'd done since and I don't think it was flattering, but, he was the one thing I remember taking away from that game. Other than I think Fr. Johnnie Morant caught a deep ball in the North end zone.

lummgr said:
When they opened up the field for autographs etc, they blew up a bounce house in one corner of the end zone, and an inflatable giant slide in the other. Germ factories. Hate em

Ahh. Our two year old lost his and we left before then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom