Syracuse freshman RB Jarveon Howard ready for more after gashing Florida State | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse freshman RB Jarveon Howard ready for more after gashing Florida State

For the non-recruiting followers on here...this is a kid who was offered by Mississippi, Mississippi State, and Tennessee.

I loved this Babers quote from the article: "He's just a really focused young man. ... He's really focused on what he wants to do. He knows why he left Mississippi. He knows why he came here. And he knows exactly what he wants to do while he's here."

For reference, and I know offers don't tell the full story, Pierre was a flip from Western Kentucky and didn't have SEC (or any P5) offers, Strickland was offered by Ga Tech, Rutgers, Temple, and UMASS while Mo Neal had several from both the ACC and SEC (yes, a Shafer recruit and 1 of the few retained by Babers; similar to Pugh and GROB; Marrone).

This is not meant to be a knock on any of these kids - more of a positive reflection on how Babers (and in this case, Justin Lustig) are recruiting more and more talented/coveted kids and selling them on the whole Syracuse experience rather than relying on "diamonds in the rough".

For reference, Howard was ranked as the 9th best prospect from Mississippi last year by 1 of the major services. This year's #9 on the same service from Mississippi is committed to Alabama.

I suppose my point is, lets go back to Mississippi, other parts of the deep south, and get more shiny diamonds; not only rough ones. ;-)

Not for nothing but that pic is a tad alarming as it looks like he's grabbing at his hammy

Interesting thing about that photo (and someone brought this up in one of post game threads), our players look like FSU players. It's been a while since we matched up so well athletically with big football schools.

Also, Howard has a funny gate. He runs like a pacer. You could really see it on the video that had up in the Dome after the run that was taken from the endzone.

that’s the FSU player’s arm. Howard’s arm is at a right angle in front of his body.

ha, you're right. one of those trick pictures.

For the non-recruiting followers on here...this is a kid who was offered by Mississippi, Mississippi State, and Tennessee.

I loved this Babers quote from the article: "He's just a really focused young man. ... He's really focused on what he wants to do. He knows why he left Mississippi. He knows why he came here. And he knows exactly what he wants to do while he's here."

For reference, and I know offers don't tell the full story, Pierre was a flip from Western Kentucky and didn't have SEC (or any P5) offers, Strickland was offered by Ga Tech, Rutgers, Temple, and UMASS while Mo Neal had several from both the ACC and SEC (yes, a Shafer recruit and 1 of the few retained by Babers; similar to Pugh and GROB; Marrone).

This is not meant to be a knock on any of these kids - more of a positive reflection on how Babers (and in this case, Justin Lustig) are recruiting more and more talented/coveted kids and selling them on the whole Syracuse experience rather than relying on "diamonds in the rough".

For reference, Howard was ranked as the 9th best prospect from Mississippi last year by 1 of the major services. This year's #9 on the same service from Mississippi is committed to Alabama.

I suppose my point is, lets go back to Mississippi, other parts of the deep south, and get more shiny diamonds; not only rough ones. ;-)

This is a great example of what SU can sell to a subset of kids. "He know why he left Mississippi", in a lot of cases it going to be family that wants him to get away from home.

This is a great example of what SU can sell to a subset of kids. "He know why he left Mississippi", in a lot of cases it going to be family that wants him to get away from home.
It's also why I am so happy we have Dino - and not Ash. I imagine Dino going into parents' living rooms in the Deep South (and everywhere frankly) is really going to pay dividends. The guy oozes competence and calmness.

Yep! this diamond is well cut

Agreed. It's amazing what good development of talent, sprinkled in with a few really good recruits that are more ready to play as frosh can look like with a good staff. It's the only recipe for a program like Syracuse and lets face it 9 of 10 kids like Howard end up saying in the SEC even though they may not see the field for a few years. Get as many athletes nationally as you can and always be developing the big guys. the kid we didn't get from Arizona was another job well done but he didn't live up to his end of the bargain.

Syracuse coaches will always have to work a little harder to find the right recruits, some can do it, some can't. They all say they work hard but some just get it done

that’s the FSU player’s arm. Howard’s arm is at a right angle in front of his body.
Keanu-Reeves-Whoa-04.jpg

not that it means a thing, but strick was also offered by Indiana, wake forest, west virginia and virginia.

he has been fine. he handles the things most people dont see but coaches do. if our oline held blocks a bit better he would look pretty good. but of our 4 RBs he has the least sex appeal/burst.

Most of Stricklands offers were to play safety.

he was a darn good safety too but most were as a rb. I think wvu may have been as a safety. I think he was also invited to that army game as a rb. but who cares, im glad we have him.

he was a darn good safety too but most were as a rb. I think wvu may have been as a safety. I think he was also invited to that army game as a rb. but who cares, im glad we have him.

Georgia's late push to I believe was a safety. Anyhow, I love what Strickland brings to our team and I'm glad we have him to. His leadership, intelligence, durability, pass catching, all of that is hard to measure. Kids a team captain imo. He's just not a #1 TB, lacks vision and can't make people miss.

Last edited: