Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement

Not sure what they gain from having everyone be in the dark about them declining an NIT invite. Just makes it look like they weren’t invited.

and they are being crucified. Have some stones. Us fans deserve the truth.

So the goal was never to play in the NIT. No kidding. Unfortunately, you weren't good enough to be invited to the dance. Red needs to be out front on this today. Be a head coach and show everyone why you are a great leader and will get players in here who have a common goal. Players who want to learn to win as a team. Show me why I want to invest in Syracuse basketball.

Last edited:
Red needs to be front and center today. He is the face of Syracuse basketball. What's the plan Red for next season?
It’s very unprofessional how they handled this. As an alum I want to see them play. I don’t care about the hot stove of these guys opting for free agency. Play the walk ons if you have to.

The system is broken if we can’t even do this. We played a bowl game w a skeleton crew.

It’s very unprofessional how they handled this. As an alum I want to see them play. I don’t care about the hot stove of these guys opting for free agency. Play the walk ons if you have to.

The system is broken if we can’t even do this. We played a bowl game w a skeleton crew.
You really would like them to play a team of walk ons? Why? What would that accomplish?

HUGE !!! week lies for Cuse fans (MBB ) = portal/roster shake up. ( FB ) = spring practice ( WBB ) = ncaa tournament ( MLAX ) = Duke and Hobart best of luck to all. LGO !!!!

I think Messrs Wildhack and Autry should have put out a statement in THEIR words.
TODAY, the program isn't worth a bucket of warm spit. We will see how quickly and skillfully
the CUSE basketball program can get turned around.

I think Autry gets a pass for this season but how can SU state that the goal was the NCAAs and not getting there is a failure but at the same time say Red did a good job in season 1? If it is NCAAs or nothing than this season was a failure, and the clock should be ticking.

Also this looks like we declined the NIT to save face knowing we might not make the NIT.

Crazy thing about all of this is that if the NET was never invented and we were still using the RPI, SU may have made the NCAAT over Michigan State, Texas, TCU.

This is college sports and players today. Greed has ruined it. I remember the nit run we had in the early 2000s. The home games were electric. Everyone stood and yelled from the jump and didn’t sit down till the final seconds. I’ll never forget that. If opting out and players jumping ship like free agents every year is the norm then I’m out. This is not fun and the exact opposite of what college sports should be. Now blow up this team. These bums aren’t nba players and never will be. Adopt a Fran brown mentality and bring in loyal hard working kids who want to be here.

I think Autry gets a pass for this season but how can SU state that the goal was the NCAAs and not getting there is a failure but at the same time say Red did a good job in season 1? If it is NCAAs or nothing than this season was a failure, and the clock should be ticking.

Also this looks like we declined the NIT to save face knowing we might not make the NIT.

Crazy thing about all of this is that if the NET was never invented and we were still using the RPI, SU may have made the NCAAT over Michigan State, Texas, TCU.
My guess is they didnt think they could field a competent team with the portal opening.

Yeah I am just not that fussed by this. Everyone knows we as a 20 win ACC team would have been in the NIT. Most of us, including myself have no idea how bad the drama behind the scenes was but clearly from our insiders it was significant. I could give a scheet about those details. It's high school drama type BS. We will see people hitting the portal and that will tell enough of the story. If you don't like it, then don't donate, easy. That said I think the number of us on this board emotionally distraught by this could probably be counted on two hands.

The portal is "first come first served".

Suppose we play in the NIT. Suppose we win a few games.

It only delays the rebuild by 3 weeks.

3 weeks from now the kids we want from the portal may be gone.

If the portal didn't open until April 9, we're not having this conversation. It is what it is.

I am not really going out on a limb in saying that NIT prolly wouldn't select us if we had to play walk-ons in the NIT.

That said, I don't get throwing the NIT tournament under the bus like a snob program:

"We respect the NIT but our only postseason goal was to play in the NCAA Tournament. Therefore, we communicated to the ACC we would not participate in the NIT."

We respect the NIT but we called the ACC and told them that we really don't respect the NIT and told them to let the NIT committee know that ??

What the abosulte e.f ??

You can't say the program is in flux and we're focusing on the transition of roster turnover with the portal window opening ??

You can't admit publicly that the program is in transition when everyone will see the portal entries shortly today and know immediately it's in transition ??

NIT not worthy. LOL.

Not smart at all.

If the portal didn't open until April 9, we're not having this conversation. It is what it is.
Being out front early on the first wave of transfers seems pretty important and a no brainer given the pretty much complete rebuild required.

Being out front early on the first wave of transfers seems pretty important and a no brainer given the pretty much complete rebuild required.
And no one will disagree with that. However, why dance around the issue?

Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody cares if we passed or weren’t invited. Nobody should care about how or when it was communicated. The only thing that matters is rebuilding for next year.
I don't know. I think perception is everything. Look at the football program. Coach Brown has already won the season in most people's eyes without even coaching a down yet.

And no one will disagree with that. However, why dance around the issue?
No idea but if I had to guess Red had previously indicated in post game Syracuse would play but after the fact when it became clear perhaps players were not going to finish the season, the school decided after seeing other schools decline that was the direction to go. Probably didn't want to throw the guys wanting to leave under the bus and so just kept it simple? Just spitballing here. Again though this really let's Red and staff get a great jump on the portal recruiting and at this point that's all I want as a fan.

That’s what I don’t understand. Why open the portal now, and not after the tournaments? The football portal opening before the bowls absolutely hurt the bowls, but is necessary to give players an Oporto find a landing spot by the start of spring semester. No such time pressure for basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom