"Syracuse" Mentions | Syracusefan.com

"Syracuse" Mentions

SWC75

Bored Historian
I love watching old movies and Tv shows. When I hear the word "Syracuse" my ears perk up. Maybe yours do, too. I decided to have a thread of Syracuse mentions.

I'm doing a project of re-creating actor's careers, (virtually everything is on the internet these days). I'm doing the famous gangsters of Hollywood's Golden Era: Robinson, Cagney and Bogart. Here is "Big City Blues", Bogart's frist appearance in a Warner Brothers film, the studio where he became famous:

Go to the conversation between Joan Blondell and Eric Linden at 26:30.

Grand Central Station announces Syracuse as one of its upstate destinations in Superman.

Nick and Schmidt (New Girl) went to Cuse. It’s unclear if Winston went as well. If he did, he played for JB.
The New Girl Syracuse/Los Angelese continuity is all kinds of messed up.

Winston was caught with his pants down and a tissue in his hands when Nick hitchhiked across the country to visit him in college. So he sadly did not play for JB.
Portal?

Here's another from my Robinson-Cagney-Bogart project. The film, "Picture Snatcher", from 1933 is a really entertaining film if you've got an hour and 17 minutes to spare. It perfectly distills Cagney's appeal from when he first became a star. The Syracuse reference comes at the 47:40 mark but watch the whole picture if you can. It won't be a waste of your time. (The scene just before this at the 46:00 mark, where Cagney gives his account of what he saw, full of street slang, and the blonde types up a version that sounds like it's from Edgar Allen Poe, is hilarious.)

Dunder Mifflin has a Syracuse branch.

They went to war with the Scranton office for paper clients left available when the Binghamton branch closed down.

Syracuse always got Twilight Zone mentions.

As, I think, a tip of the hat to that, Syracuse was mentioned in an X-Files episode once. The context was of an airline flight to or from Syracuse having some kind of trouble (potential UFO related but I don’t remember the particulars).

There was a Syracuse sorority mention on the season 2 finale of “The Sex Lives of College Girls”.

In Born on the 4th of July, he gets taken to an anti war protest at Syracuse University.

Dunder Mifflin has a Syracuse branch.

They went to war with the Scranton office for paper clients left available when the Binghamton branch closed down.

paper clients or paper clips?

The Detour.

Really good first and second seasons. Natalie Zea is… nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom