Syracuse Michigan Matchup | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Michigan Matchup

Thing about our forwards is that Southerland, the shooter is taller and longer while CJ, who has a pretty good all around offensive game is the stronger one. I like either of them on either of your forwards.

Hahaha...We know about players deciding to show up or not...lol
This team can play defense very good. It was the really reason they where able to come back on Kansas. During the regular season they just weren't intense enough and looked a little lazy. You could tell.

Thing about our forwards is that Southerland, the shooter is taller and longer while CJ, who has a pretty good all around offensive game is the stronger one. I like either of them on either of your forwards.
Glen will be on CJ then. He is used to playing bigger players.

It seems everyone is talking about the UM offense against the SU defense as the big thing in this game. I think the real key is UM defense against our offense. I Honestly feel our weakness offense is stronger than their weakness defense. I look at it see they will play m2m and see match up problems all over for them and no real rim protector. Its not as bad as the mismatches we had against IU but at least they had one elite defender to take someone away with. UM is not great at stopping penetration and I expect we will kill them on the high ball screen action plus they will be undersized at the forward spots against us.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking too. For all the talk of our offensive struggles (much of which is valid), we still grade out better efficiency-wise on that end than Michigan's D (although the gap narrowed considerably after Florida's destruction).
I don't really see who they can guard CJ with; although when he's missing shots it's problematic because he's our best offensive rebounder.

I think Beilein is a better coach than Crean and we've been a bit fortunate to cruise so easily thus far & think it will be a good game. But there seems to be a lot of revisionist history going on about why Mich is better than Indiana. They're not. It'd be like people saying "well L'ville doesn't have [insert one of our players]" if they had gotten spanked by Michigan.

Lol how did Georgetown? Both lost 1st round.
I think he is asking how ND made the tourney...They beat Ville, Cinci(2), Nova, Pitt, and Marq...Not to shabby.

I think he is asking how ND made the tourney...They beat Ville, Cinci(2), Nova, Pitt, and Marq...Not to shabby.
Ah I assumed it was a typo. Beating #4 Kentucky in November was also a huge win... LMAO

So in other words, because they have a PG guard who is the perfect antidote to the pressure defenses of VCU and Florida, they should have no problem with a completely different defense.

Yeah, that was my feeling on that quote as well.

VCU was not a great defensive team, they were a pressing team that did a phenomenal job exploiting mid-majors inability to handle their press. They were a decent team regardless, but that press wasn't exactly as terrifying for teams with decent guards.

I'm concerned about the length of Syracuse, not the zone itself, causing problems for Michigan. One interesting note, John Beilein has never beaten Syracuse in 9 tries, but he has a more talented team then any he has coached before.

Should be a very good game and the winner probably plays Louisville , the prohibitive favorite to cut down the nets.

Wrong.

One word: Pittsnogle.

I think controlling the pace will be important, as it was for us in the last game according to JB. I haven't watched a lot of UM, but they seem to get good mileage off of transition, and even with our offensive woes I'd rather see this not become a track meet.

Wrong.

One word: Pittsnogle.

Edited. Wikipedia's section on Pittsnogle appears to be severely lacking, lol.

Still, this season's Michigan team has Pittsnogle's team on honors (Trey Burke soon to be NPOY), and on team success (Pittsnogle never made the Final Four). Additionally, Trey Burke is surrounded by 3 projected 1st round picks, something I somehow doubt was ever true of Pittsnogle.

The objective facts seem to indicate that this is probably Beilein's most talented team.

Are you referring to the Pittsnogle who never achieved 1st team Big East honors, and went undrafted?

I don't know why Pittsnogle seems to be a legend around these parts, but Trey Burke is a 1st team All American and soon to be National Player of the Year. And he's surrounded by more talent than surrounded Pittsnogle as well.

We just like to see the name "Pittsnogle" in print from time to time. Just because the player used up his eligibility at WVa doesn't mean we can't bring the name back to life. We also use it as a verb, as in "We hope we don't get Pittsnogled by Michigan (when some 3-pt. shooter goes wild on us)."-VBOF

We just like to see the name "Pittsnogle" in print from time to time. Just because the player used up his eligibility at WVa doesn't mean we can't bring the name back to life. We also use it as a verb, as in "We hope we don't get Pittsnogled by Michigan (when some 3-pt. shooter goes wild on us)."-VBOF

Pittsnogled. That's classic, ha!

Michigan = Indiana :noidea:

Show me where I'm wrong.

Well, there's the part where Michigan's guards can create their own shot and Indiana's guards can't. Also the part where McGary is a much different kind of big than Zeller. Actually, the two couldn't be more different.

How about the part that goes Indiana 2 Michigan 0?

That's an unnecessarily hostile response to an actual legitimate answer. But for the record, it's pretty clear Indiana peaked somewhere during the season, whereas Michigan is peaking now.

That's an unnecessarily hostile response to an actual legitimate answer. But for the record, it's pretty clear Indiana peaked somewhere during the season, whereas Michigan is peaking now.

except for the fact they needed a miracle comeback and an elijah johnson missed ft just to force ot against kansas. ku was in complete control of that game for 36 minutes.

except for the fact they needed a miracle comeback and an elijah johnson missed ft just to force ot against kansas. ku was in complete control of that game for 36 minutes.

That's true. But for the record, I think Kansas is more talented than either Michigan or Cuse. I had them in the final game. We are still playing the best basketball we have all season, and if I'm not mistaken, you guys are as well.

and, fwiw, as far as bigs go...
Zeller > McGary

Which has about zero relevance to my statement that Zeller and McGary are very different types of players. Both are excellent players, and it's more about the matchups presented than putting them on paper and saying "in a vacuum who is better."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom