Syracuse Michigan Matchup | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Michigan Matchup

Kansas isn't that good they played in a junk league where the refs pad them 12 points a game.
They have one good big, one good guard, a couple of decent wings and then that young big off the bench. Johnson was always going to kill them because he isn't a pg and they don't have a pg. That being said as a match up for Mich they were tough because they play good PNR defense. I was impressed with McGAry going right at Withy that's what you have to do.

Mich and IU are a bit of a different animal IMO but again Cuse will be bigger longer and more athletic at almost every spot on the floor much like it was against IU. That will cause issues on both ends for you guys IMO. Just like having 4 shooters is tough for us as well as one of the best PG in the college game. Of course the first time against our zone is usually a struggle for any pg, hopefully that slows Burke down a bit.

I'll tell you what though, thank god their guy went nuts from three yesterday. He hit 5 out of his 6 shots from the corner. The exact spot where the zone can give up shots. He was like 2 - 16 before that. He will certainly have our attention in the corner now.
We trap the corners.

Which has about zero relevance to my statement that Zeller and McGary are very different types of players. Both are excellent players, and it's more about the matchups presented than putting them on paper and saying "in a vacuum who is better."

There is no matchup for McGary... He'll be facing our whole front line and the long arms of our guards if he catches it where Zeller did. He's not playing against another big - but "bigs." Also - he has to have the ball in a position to score to do anything - I'm not sure he will get it consistently where he wants it. He will be catching it where JB wants him to.

Burke will guard MCW and press him unless he starts scoring off post ups. Hardaway may also guard him. Glen with mostly hold the stronger of Fair or Southerland with Nik guard the smaller one. We will force you worst offensive player to try to score.
So you going to force all of our players to score?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

and, fwiw, as far as bigs go...
Zeller > McGary

I would take McGary over Zeller at this point, not even a question. He's a better rebounder, better passer, and much better motor. Zeller's has a little more range on his jumper right now but McGary is a much better finisher around the rim.

So you going to force all of our players to score?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
Unfortunately for Michigan: Stauskas and GR3 are below average m2m defenders, Burke is ok but he's too short to guard MCW or Triche consistently.

I would take McGary over Zeller at this point, not even a question. He's a better rebounder, better passer, and much better motor. Zeller's has a little more range on his jumper right now but McGary is a much better finisher around the rim.

lol. You are definitely in the minority, not even a question? We're going to make McGary beat us with decisions and foul line jumpers. You might not be so enamored come Sunday morning.

except for the fact they needed a miracle comeback and an elijah johnson missed ft just to force ot against kansas. ku was in complete control of that game for 36 minutes.
This is what makes me nervous. Cuse has a tendancy to try to slow the game down with a lead and let the other team come back and make it close.

lol. You are definitely in the minority, not even a question? We're going to make McGary beat us with decisions and foul line jumpers. You might not be so enamored come Sunday morning.
I'm a lifelong Syracuse fan, but I watch a ton of Big 10 basketball. McGary is not as "skilled" as Zeller, but he's sure as a lot tougher. Not saying he will be the key to unlocking the zone but I would clearly take him over Zeller. Just because the talking heads on ESPN love Zeller doesn't mean he's better... McGary will be in the NBA in a year or 2.

Besides, it'll be Hardaway or GR3 that will probably flash to the foul line, both guys Keita or Xmas will need to step up on to contest the shot, especially Hardaway. Fortunately, Hardaway has been ice cold and is just an average passer.

This is what makes me nervous. Cuse has a tendancy to try to slow the game down with a lead and let the other team come back and make it close.

The problem is that we can go into stall ball mode with several minutes left on the clock, which often leads to poor, rushed shots as the shotclock winds down. If we start missing a lot of those shots, it allows the other team to rebound and push for quick/easy baskets to cut our lead.

I'm a lifelong Syracuse fan, but I watch a ton of Big 10 basketball. McGary is not as "skilled" as Zeller, but he's sure as a lot tougher. Not saying he will be the key to unlocking the zone but I would clearly take him over Zeller. Just because the talking heads on ESPN love Zeller doesn't mean he's better... McGary will be in the NBA in a year or 2.

I never said McGary wouldn't be in the NBA, but you might be the only person alive that would clearly take him over Zeller at this point in their careers. It's quite a statement and I'm not one that puts much stock in talking heads outside of Denny Crum.

I never said McGary wouldn't be in the NBA, but you might be the only person alive that would clearly take him over Zeller at this point in their careers. It's quite a statement and I'm not one that puts much stock in talking heads outside of Denny Crum.
Ok perhaps I exaggerated with the "not a question" qualifier. But McGary is every bit as talented as Zeller. This statement was in response to the Zeller > McGary statement. i.e. We shut down Zeller so we don't have to worry about McGary. Different type of player but just as talented. Doesn't have the 15ft jumper to hurt us but he's a better passer and better finisher.

Ok perhaps I exaggerated with the "not a question" qualifier. But McGary is every bit as talented as Zeller. This statement was in response to the Zeller > McGary statement. i.e. We shut down Zeller so we don't have to worry about McGary. Different type of player but just as talented. Doesn't have the 15ft jumper to hurt us but he's a better passer and better finisher.

I love the idea of a freshman center being able to be the "point" at the foul line in a Final Four game. He might make the right play once or twice - but I'd bet on multiple turnovers - where Burke gets annoyed and loses patience, tries to force things. Meanwhile, MCW is eating him up on the offensive side. I still don't see how they guard our forwards. I think either Fair or Southerland goes off in this one.

Also - I'd be willing to bet that Marquette's round of mound will be the toughest center we face out of the 3. He had the shot + girth vs our stringy centers to pose an issue.

The problem is that we can go into stall ball mode with several minutes left on the clock, which often leads to poor, rushed shots as the shotclock winds down. If we start missing a lot of those shots, it allows the other team to rebound and push for quick/easy baskets to cut our lead.

I hate it when a 15 point melts down to 5 and people say "it worked". To me a 15 point lead is an opportunity to win by 20 and have both teams just take the last possession off.

That's an unnecessarily hostile response to an actual legitimate answer. But for the record, it's pretty clear Indiana peaked somewhere during the season, whereas Michigan is peaking now.

How is it hostile? It seems perfectly legitimate to wonder how the better team loses to inferior Guards and a supposed stiff for a big at home on senior day in a game where you make 10 3's and attempt more FT's. So far the "actual legitimate answer" seems to be "McGary = Wilt Chamberlain".

mcgary is a good player but he wont be the difference in the game. we gotta contain burke and their 3 point shooters. if mcgary scores 20 points and burke and hardaway combine for 12 we're gonna win. i said the same thing before the indiana game, their shooters and slashers worried me much more than zeller.

Which has about zero relevance to my statement that Zeller and McGary are very different types of players. Both are excellent players, and it's more about the matchups presented than putting them on paper and saying "in a vacuum who is better."

Zeller is better now but McGary is more talented and will be the better player soon, imo. I love McGary. He will be a problem Sat. We struggle with the bruiser type guys with high motors. I hope we sit on his left hand. However, as another poster mentioned, I would say that Gardner from Marquette may be the toughest guard we have faced or will face not named Dieng. Gardner is a bull, he plays rough, he can shoot, and is pretty nimble for a 285-lber or whatever he is.

mcgary is a good player but he wont be the difference in the game. we gotta contain burke and their 3 point shooters. if mcgary scores 20 points and burke and hardaway combine for 12 we're gonna win. i said the same thing before the indiana game, their shooters and slashers worried me much more than zeller.

He very well could be if he has a game like he did against Kansas or like Gardner did in Milwaukee. That's a no brainer. If he is killing us on the boards then we are going home.

How is it hostile? It seems perfectly legitimate to wonder how the better team loses to inferior Guards and a supposed stiff for a big at home on senior day in a game where you make 10 3's and attempt more FT's. So far the "actual legitimate answer" seems to be "McGary = Wilt Chamberlain".
Well, McGary wasn't playing nearly as well back when Michigan played Indiana. But primarily Michigan struggled mightily to get open looks against Indiana's m2m defense in addition to playing their usual mediocre defense, allowing Oladipo, Hulls, Zeller, and Watford to do their thing.

I personally think even at this point of the year and McGary's emergence, Indiana is (was) a much scarier opponent than Michigan.

He very well could be if he has a game like he did against Kansas or like Gardner did in Milwaukee. That's a no brainer. If he is killing us on the boards then we are going home.

the kansas game is my point though. he had a great game yet they lose by 10 if burke doesnt get crazy hot the last few minutes. i worry about burke and hardaway and stauskas first, thats how we win, stopping those guys. if burke has a bad game michigan aint winning.

I still have to laugh at fans that think SU's zone won't really be a problem, especially for young players who have never seen anything like it. When manned with the right players, it's like a magic show. There are lanes...and then they just disappear. Knowing what to do and then being able to do it are two very different things. Shots are rushed slightly and players are forced to shoot and make decisions just a little faster than they normally like to do. Percentages drop and turnovers rise. I agree with the others..offense is the key for us and I like us if they play man. In fact, I like us if they play zone, as it is not a regular defense for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom