Syracuse Michigan Matchup | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Michigan Matchup

Not a lot of opportunities for screens against this zone.
Don't agree with that. I think screens for Burke up top are going to be a huge problem if McGary's good at setting them and Burke's good at taking them. Which I hear they both are.

They'll tie up the center and force the weak-side guard and forward to rotate, leaving the corner wide open.

Where are people getting this McGary can't shoot Mid range jumpers thing from. He is the only Big man we have that can hit a jumper on our team that plays. Also getting screened by McGary isn't fun. One of McGary strengths when we were recruiting him was his Mid range game.

I think a lot of it has to do with his 45% ft average that has been tossed around. If that is true, he really doesn't sound like a threat.

More on Mitch McGary. He is not a shot blocker and will not try to block shots usually. Good Mid range game for a big man. Very mobile and can dribble better than you think he would. Needs to develop a little more in the low block but has greatly improve from the beginning of the season. Big and Strong and will dive for the basketball. Best hands a big man can have. ADHD

I think a lot of it has to do with his 45% ft average that has been tossed around. If that is true, he really doesn't sound like a threat.
Trust me McGary should start jumping on his FTs. He used to pull up from the 3 in high school

I pray (but seriously doubt) that Michigan will have McGary flashing and shooting from the FT line. If he’s playing 15 feet from the rim they may not get more than 2 or 3 offensive boards all game long.

Where are people getting this McGary can't shoot Mid range jumpers thing from. He is the only Big man we have that can hit a jumper on our team that plays. Also getting screened by McGary isn't fun. One of McGary strengths when we were recruiting him was his Mid range game.
It all comes down to Michigan vs. the zone. All teams think they are ready for it, but they aren't. Miss a few shots and it effects evreybody. I honestly just saw McGary only in 2 games, but he has a nose for the ball, and a pretty good touch on the ball. Something i thought Christmas would have, but really hasn't showed. Been a while since we last played the blue and gold and they didn't have ND on thier uniforms.

It all comes down to Michigan vs. the zone. All teams think they are ready for it, but they aren't. Miss a few shots and it effects evreybody. I honestly just saw McGary only in 2 games, but he has a nose for the ball, and a pretty good touch on the ball. Something i thought Christmas would have, but really hasn't showed. Been a while since we last played the blue and gold and they didn't have ND on thier uniforms.
I started watching the replay of you guys vs Indiana and Cream got outcoached. There were too many times that Zeller got the ball in the middle and everyone else just stood there.

Only time Indiana has gotten a open shot is when they moved the ball quickly and sealed off defenders.

I started watching the replay of you guys vs Indiana and Cream got outcoached. There were too many times that Zeller got the ball in the middle and everyone else just stood there.

No doubt Crean isn't winning games by his in game coaching, listen to his half time remarks and post game he really still didn't seem to get it IMO. Beilien is a better coach than Crean but JB is better than both of them. Still you can out coach a guy all you want if the players don't execute it doesn't matter. Coaches need good plans and good adjustments and players need to play well at this point to win. Any of the 4 teams can win or they wouldn't be there.

You guys did a good job at stopping their fast break.

This has been said to be the way to beat the zone for years which really is a huge compliment if you think about it. It's like saying its too hard to score on regularly. lol. Anyways this strategy rarely works, maybe once or twice a game but that's about it.

What's your #1 concern with Syracuse?
Not moving the ball on offense and letting the defender sit in the zone. Indiana has not used their heads so far in the game i am watching. The guy who gets the ball in the middle should never dribble. I also worry your guys getting penetration on offense.

Not moving the ball on offense and letting the defender sit in the zone. Indiana has not used their heads so far in the game i am watching. The guy who gets the ball in the middle should never dribble. I also worry your guys getting penetration on offense.

As the game goes on IU moves the ball plenty for lots of seconds its just you know back and forth meaningless kind of movement that got them no where.

More on Mitch McGary. He is not a shot blocker and will not try to block shots usually. Good Mid range game for a big man. Very mobile and can dribble better than you think he would. Needs to develop a little more in the low block but has greatly improve from the beginning of the season. Big and Strong and will dive for the basketball. Best hands a big man can have. ADHD

Well, if he's got ADHD, then I'm sure SU is in trouble! Honestly, I'm not that worried about this game for SU. I was much more concerned about IU and their NPOY Oladipo, actually. I don't see UM handling the zone and the size of SU's players. SU doesn't have to have a great offensive game to win. SU has won their tourney games without Southerland playing his best. CJ has been scoring less than his usual output. SU's guard play has been great. If either James or CJ shoot it over 50%, SU wins by double digits.

As the game goes on IU moves the ball plenty for lots of seconds its just you know back and forth meaningless kind of movement that got them no where.
I don't understand why Zeller keep trying to dribble towards the strength of the zone when he got it in the middle. The only options for the flasher are shoot pass the to the wing, pass the player sealing on the low block(which Indiana didn't have).

If I'm Beilein I put Robinson at the high post and keep McGary on the low block for garbage buckets. Let GRIII shoot the 15 footer and hope for the make/putback by McGary. Also, I'm playing those 5 guys 40 minutes, if remotely possible.

What do you think Beilein's game plan is for covering CJ Fair?

If Nik is in the corner Cuse can not let him catch it. His shot will be up quick.

We'll if he just stands there and wait that's fine we will have it covered, its all about floating out to the corner from the wing at the right time before ball reversal. We will certainly be keying on him as a shooter. He kind of reminds me of Southerlan as a shooter once he gets going it almost doesn't matter how you defend if you give room to catch and shoot its good.

I don't understand why Zeller keep trying to dribble towards the strength of the zone when he got it in the middle. The only options for the flasher are shoot pass the to the wing, pass the player sealing on the low block(which Indiana didn't have).

Indiana did a very poor job of player movement in that game.

Who guards mcw? Burke or hardaway? Will beilein throw us a 1-3-1?

We'll if he just stands there and wait that's fine we will have it covered, its all about floating out to the corner from the wing at the right time before ball reversal. We will certainly be keying on him as a shooter. He kind of reminds me of Southerlan as a shooter once he gets going it almost doesn't matter how you defend if you give room to catch and shoot its good.

Indiana did a very poor job of player movement in that game.
I am at the point in the game where Zeller think he can shoot over 2 people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom