Syracuse Offense In A Nutshell | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Offense In A Nutshell

longislandcuse

Living Legend
Howard/Battle dribble up.

Howard/Battle go to the baseline.

Howard/Battle run off a screen to get the ball.

Howard/Battle pass to Brissett.

Brissett does some random Globetrotter dribbling and then passes back to Howard/Battle or drives to the hoop and launches himself at somebody while throwing it off the backboard.

Howard/Battle call up Chukwu/Sidibe for a high pick and roll.

High pick and roll never works so Howard/Battle go ISO.

Everyone else stands still or runs in place like they are a glitch in a video game.

Brissett does some random Globetrotter dribbling and then passes back to Howard/Battle or drives to the hoop and launches himself at somebody while throwing it off the backboard.

Everyone else stands still or runs in place like they are a glitch in a video game.

OH come on. What you described is far more complex than what they actually run.

Chicken salad analogy comes to mind.

When your third best offensive player literally can't make a layup, scheme isn't the problem.
I agree. The problem is we don't have skilled offensive players. Who does anything well?

I agree. The problem is we don't have skilled offensive players. Who does anything well?

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but why have an offense based on your players having offensive skills if none have skills?

Defensively, we have a system that the players understand and buy into. Say what you want about the 2-3 zone, but it is effective and for all but one loss this season it was our defense that kept us in the game.

Why don't we develop some sort of offensive identity? Especially, in years like the past few where we have limited offensive skill on the court. We play teams with lesser offensive talent throughout the year who have some sort of offensive system that allows their players to be successful.

I'm a big believer in it not mattering how you win a game, ugly or pretty, they all go in the W column, but our offense has made SU basketball terrible to watch for the past 5-6 years.

My four years at SU I almost never missed a home game. For five years after my graduation I bought season tickets and drove 2+ hours each way to the games, even the shitty 9:00 PM Tuesday night games. I never missed a watching a game, even if I had to find it illegally streamed on the Internet. The past few seasons, if the game is on one of the ESPNs I'll watch it, otherwise I am content in checking the score online or flipping to the channel for a score check every now and then.

I am much more excited about our football program and Coach Babers than I am about our basketball program, even with the seemingly very good recruits we have coming in next year. At least the football program, has a clear direction and even in losses is fun to watch most of the time.

I pretty much turned it off when Frank summoned poor Bourama for a screen with a couple of minutes left. He was WAY out close to halfcourt. Alvarado is a step or two in front of Frank not even doing anything except watching Frank. Bourama comes ALL the way out there (he traveled there from under the basket), gives the screen then rolls back to the basket. Frank then throws it out of bounds as he missed Bourama with the pass, lol. Poor Bourama was probably gassed at that point as well. Can’t make this stuff up.

Last edited:
A live look into our coaching staff drawing up some offense
SpongeBob____The____.jpg

*Chukwu gets offensive rebound, tries to dribble, has the ball taken out of his hands.
*Brissett plows over waiting defender on fast break, gets called for charge.

There is one thing about the offense that is kinda baffling, and that is running the high pick and roll
with Chukwu this year, and Roberson last year. I would've thought the idea is, when the player rolls,
you hit him with the pass, and he can do something with it. 25 feet from the hoop, Chukwu can't, and
neither could Robey. To see Chukwu with the ball out that high is just wrong.

Ok, there's LOTS of other stuff, one of which is "... our offense is terrible; it's been terrible all year ...",
then maybe think about coaching it a bit differently, hmm?

Kev

Chicken salad analogy comes to mind.

When your third best offensive player literally can't make a layup, scheme isn't the problem.

SU ran the same offense in 2010 an 2012, plenty of talent then. But the losses before FF exemplified the limitations of the offense imo. Ie yeah there were key guys lost in those years (AO, Fab, yada yada) but the defense wasnt a disappointment in the losses to Butler and OSU. It was the offense that came up short. SUs offensive schemes absolutely have room for improvement. Talent or no. And there are plenty of teams this year who have SU level talent but can score much much more easily. Just my opinion!

I thought it was a post about the size of the container needed to hold all the options

SU ran the same offense in 2010 an 2012, plenty of talent then. But the losses before FF exemplified the limitations of the offense imo. Ie yeah there were key guys lost in those years (AO, Fab, yada yada) but the defense wasnt a disappointment in the losses to Butler and OSU. It was the offense that came up short. SUs offensive schemes absolutely have room for improvement. Talent or no. And there are plenty of teams this year who have SU level talent but can score much much more easily. Just my opinion!
Yep, they ran the same offense in 2010 and 2012.

2010 - Syracuse was 7th in the nation (98th percentile) in offensive efficiency. They happened to face an under-seeded team led by a future NBA star and head coach in the Sweet 16. They didn't lose because they needed an offensive coordinator.

2012 - Syracuse was 11th (5th among power conference programs) in offensive efficiency.

And I don't think we can just poo-poo the absences of AO and Fab just because it doesn't fit the agenda. Those two teams are simply not 1 seeds without those two centers.

I respect your opinion but I just think it comes down to the players.

Last edited:

2010 - Syracuse was 7th in the nation (98th percentile) in offensive efficiency. They happened to face an under-seeded team led by a future NBA star and head coach in the Sweet 16. They didn't lose because they needed an offensive coordinator.

2012 - Syracuse was 11th (5th among power conference programs) in offensive efficiency.

And I don't think we can just poo-poo the absences of AO and Fab just because it doesn't fit the agenda. Those two teams are simply not 1 seeds without those two centers.

I respect your opinion but I just think it comes down to the players.
At some point, you have to realize the players you have can't succeed in the offensive system being run. You have to adjust and find other ways to get points. JB doesn't appear to be doing that and if he is adjusting, it's not working.

And since his system is so iso and pick and roll based, you'd think we'd recruit more to that style. Raw, long forwards/centers are not going to succeed offensively there.

2010 - Syracuse was 7th in the nation (98th percentile) in offensive efficiency.
In both years the efficiency numbers are jacked up because we were dynamite in transition. Fast break points boost the stats. 2012 was actually rather pedestrian in the halfcourt, but we averaged something like 20+ ppg on forced turnovers.

At some point, you have to realize the players you have can't succeed in the offensive system being run. You have to adjust and find other ways to get points. JB doesn't appear to be doing that and if he is adjusting, it's not working.

And since his system is so iso and pick and roll based, you'd think we'd recruit more to that style. Raw, long forwards/centers are not going to succeed offensively there.

Ding Ding Ding.

But recruiting players who have more offensive skill might, just might, mean they don't fit the
zone D.

Which I don't entirely get. Scoop, Andy, and Dion weren't great defensive players to begin
with - only Andy got really good at the top of the zone - and teams succeeded pretty well despite
that. Those teams had offensive talent that could also play D, and I don't think there's been a
good balance between offensively skilled players who were reasonably capable on D and players
who are more recruited as a zone fit. That definitely manifests itself when you finally get a team
that is incapable of hitting its shots, and also seemingly unable to run set plays to score.

kev

In both years the efficiency numbers are jacked up because we were dynamite in transition. Fast break points boost the stats. 2012 was actually rather pedestrian in the halfcourt, but we averaged something like 20+ ppg on forced turnovers.

That is a very good point often overlooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom