Syracuse staff versus Hopkins/Washington | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse staff versus Hopkins/Washington

JazzNC

Starter
Since Hopkins was long considered our best recruiter, it would be very interesting if we kept tabs on the upcoming recruiting classes of both schools (Syracuse and Washington). I had to put a prefix (2018) in the title, but I think it would be fun to do for a few years.

Any body want to take this on? Or pin this? It could prove interesting to keep track of. Hop recently landed Nahz Carter, but I think in fairness the comparison should start next class.

Naturally, I want SU to fare better, but Hopkins has charisma and it could be close. Any thoughts? Any takers?

Since Hopkins was long considered our best recruiter, it would be very interesting if we kept tabs on the upcoming recruiting classes of both schools (Syracuse and Washington). I had to put a prefix (2018) in the title, but I think it would be fun to do for a few years.

Any body want to take this on? Or pin this? It could prove interesting to keep track of. Hop recently landed Nahz Carter, but I think in fairness the comparison should start next class.

Naturally, I want SU to fare better, but Hopkins has charisma and it could be close. Any thoughts? Any takers?

I would wager that about 50% if our fans will be doung a running comparison.

So, right now it's Boeheim 4, Hopkins 1 . . . but for the 2018 class its Hopkins 1, Boeheim 0

maybe more than simple totals of recruits, we should keep track of total win shares collected by the 2018 and 2019 classes. but interest in this "competiton" will probably have faded by the time those numbers are available.

So, right now it's Boeheim 4, Hopkins 1 . . . but for the 2018 class its Hopkins 1, Boeheim 0

maybe more than simple totals of recruits, we should keep track of total win shares collected by the 2018 and 2019 classes. but interest in this "competiton" will probably have faded by the time those numbers are available.

Carter was Hop's 3rd recruit signed.

Considering the fact that Hop will never be back, and it was probably inevitable that something along the lines of what happened, was almost certain to happen, the moment Wildhack took over, it seems to me the only purpose of keeping track is so that fans on one side of the fence can point fingers at the other side of the fence. It is likely that any moment in time, one side or the other may be able to lift the winning finger.

It is divisive, and serves not positive purpose. I wish Hop well, but honestly couldn't give two **its what Washington does or has. I am an SU fan, and I prefer to go to an SU basketball recruiting board and hear about recruits that SU is looking to bring in.

If there is that much interest, I personally feel it is better located in the off topic board.

Hop has brought in 3 commits (Nate Pryor, Michael Carter III, and Nahz Carter), and actually if you've been following closely he got Noah Dickerson to come back after declaring that he would transfer, and also did the same with Jaylen Nowell, so you could actually look at it as though he's had 5 players commit to him.

Considering the fact that Hop will never be back, and it was probably inevitable that something along the lines of what happened, was almost certain to happen, the moment Wildhack took over, it seems to me the only purpose of keeping track is so that fans on one side of the fence can point fingers at the other side of the fence. It is likely that any moment in time, one side or the other may be able to lift the winning finger.

It is divisive, and serves not positive purpose. I wish Hop well, but honestly couldn't give two **its what Washington does or has. I am an SU fan, and I prefer to go to an SU basketball recruiting board and hear about recruits that SU is looking to bring in.

If there is that much interest, I personally feel it is better located in the off topic board.

Agree with this. I wish Hop well and thank him for what he did for the program all those year. But I don't see myself cheering for Washington as a secondary team or anything like that.

I agree with a lot of what you have written. I think it could serve one beneficial purpose in that we would be able to see if the likes of Gmac, Red and Griff have the same ability to close on prospects that Hop does. There's been debate that Gmac doesn't recruit well. I think that's a premature statement.

I can see your concern that it could divide the message board. I am choosing to look st it more positively, however. If we can put together a few really solid classes it could put the issue to rest. Time for us to shine!

Anyhow, just my two cents. :)

:rolling:
Hop has brought in 3 commits (Nate Pryor, Michael Carter III, and Nahz Carter), and actually if you've been following closely he got Noah Dickerson to come back after declaring that he would transfer, and also did the same with Jaylen Nowell, so you could actually look at it as though he's had 5 players commit to him.

I don't think there is much doubt that Hop will get guys. What happens between the lines when the ball goes up is what matters, and on that the jury is still out.

Great question. Ive been asking something similar, how we will do head to head. I completely disagree with antiprodigy, and think it's completely on topic on the Syracuse recruiting board. How could anyone argue it belongs in off topic, when Hop is offering guys with Syracuse interest/offers, and possibly will have as many head to head battles as any other school out there for the next couple of years, at least? I wish Hop the best, other than when it's head to head.

I already noted elsewhere that it'd be interesting to see which schools we have the most head to head battles with for interest/offers, and where Washington ranks on that list.

Great question. Ive been asking something similar, how we will do head to head. I completely disagree with antiprodigy, and think it's completely on topic on the Syracuse recruiting board. How could anyone argue it belongs in off topic, when Hop is offering guys with Syracuse interest/offers, and possibly will have as many head to head battles as any other school out there for the next couple of years, at least? I wish Hop the best, other than when it's head to head.

I already noted elsewhere that it'd be interesting to see which schools we have the most head to head battles with for interest/offers, and where Washington ranks on that list.

Thank you. I think it becomes especially interesting to watch considering Hop is a former west coast guy, whose entire coaching ties lie on the east coast prior to landing the Washington job. He's kind of in a unique position to be able to perhaps recruit both areas well. He was long considered our best most feared recruiter.

Those that are confident in the SU staff's ability to recruit without Hop should not mind keeping tabs on this message board.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but I don't know how it will go. Hop is a great catch for Washington. I too, wish Hop well except for head to head match ups.

That said, if we out recruit Hop it will quiet the critics. If Hop outperforms us, then we can acknowledge it and look to improve. Either way that's a win.

Go Orange!

Last edited:
Hop and Washington closing on Hamier Wright (and to a lesser extent Nahz Carter) stings a bit. He got Wright to reclassify too. Happy for Hop. Sucks for us.

We really need to rebound and land Swider and Carey or Duke. Cmon Orange!!!

Hop and Washington closing on Hamier Wright (and to a lesser extent Nahz Carter) stings a bit. He got Wright to reclassify too. Happy for Hop. Sucks for us.

We really need to rebound and land Swider and Carey or Duke. Cmon Orange!!!

Why does it sting? Neither individual was being recruited by SU at the time they committed. SU had chosen other players over them, and did not have any open scholarships. It is true at one time, that they were interested in Hameir Wright. However, they ultimately were more interested in the players they got.

Why does it sting? Neither individual was being recruited by SU at the time they committed. SU had chosen other players over them, and did not have any open scholarships. It is true at one time, that they were interested in Hameir Wright. However, they ultimately were more interested in the players they got.

I respectfully disagree, in the sense that I think we would've taken Wright over a few players we did land if we thought we had a shot at landing him. I don't believe that Wright was a lower priority than the guys we landed. But I respect your right to believe so.

This doesn't diminish my desire for all of our recruits to perform well. I will always bleed Orange. Go 'Cuse!

I respectfully disagree, in the sense that I think we would've taken Wright over a few players we did land if we thought we had a shot at landing him. I don't believe that Wright was a lower priority than the guys we landed. But I respect your right to believe so.

This doesn't diminish my desire for all of our recruits to perform well. I will always bleed Orange. Go 'Cuse!
Our staff had backed away from Wright.

Wrong. Swider and Bazley are better players. Wright didn't perform that well this year in AAU.

Wright is a similar player to Brissett and Moyer. How does he help us on the perimeter? He's not a 2g.

I realize he's not a 2G. It's my opinion that we would've structured our priorities differently had we signed Wright. But there is no way to prove or disprove either side, until we see how the players in this class do.

I'm still optimistic. I think the staff did a nice job of rebounding from some hurtful misses. Go Cuse!

I realize he's not a 2G. It's my opinion that we would've structured our priorities differently had we signed Wright. But there is no way to prove or disprove either side, until we see how the players in this class do.

I'm still optimistic. I think the staff did a nice job of rebounding from some hurtful misses. Go Cuse!
But we weren't trying to get him when we got Hughes so that doesn't make sense

But we weren't trying to get him when we got Hughes so that doesn't make sense

What I'm trying to say is that had we landed Wright (earlier) the rest of our class priorities would likely have been different. Sorry for being unclear. It's ok if you think differently. It's possible that our 2017 class will prove to be really good.

I'll be thrilled if we found diamonds in the rough with guys like HW, SB, MD, and EH in 2018. Brissett I think will be a stud.

I'm also interested to see how Nahz and Wright do at Washington because they are guys many on this board wanted us to go after.

That's the beauty of college basketball. Look at that kid that just got drafted by the Spurs who had not one D1 offer out of high school.

You never know. Players can be underrated, and they can be overrated, I think our 2017 class is very interesting because it has a lot of guys that could play out either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom