Taggart being treated unfairly | Syracusefan.com

Taggart being treated unfairly

jgeorge322

Living Legend
Im not sure why he is getting so much flak. Fsu was awful last year which says Jimbo flew the coop just in time. Also, he took oregon from 4-8 record in 2016 to 7-6 in 2017 and his record would have been better if his starting qb was not knocked out early in the season. He had some really strong teams at usf. It seems the criticism of taggert is very premature and i could only guess that a more established coach wouldnt be treated this way. Is frost getting as killed as taggart?

That's what happens when you go to a school like FSU
Win now
*end of story*
facts. I feel for him but he also knew where he was going. Its a win now program. Fans and boosters don't want to hear rebuild. FSU has some athletes for sure but their O line is so awful. Not sure you can blame Taggart for what Jimbo left as far as lineman.

Absolutely. While watching College Football Scoreboard, one of the commentators gave Scott Frost a pass when Taggart inherited the SAME situation he did. Jimbo Fisher did not recruit the offensive line well for years and especially didn't in his last season when he had one foot out the door the entire time. Chip Kelly isn't getting this kind of heat either. It's like something that isn't football related is dictating the narrative.

They rarely take a recruit who is less than a four star, so they obviously have a very talented roster.

Now, it might be one thing for a team with that much talent to lose to a fellow ACC school such as us, but they are 1 & 2 with a weak early schedule. They barely beat Samford (not Stanford), that game coming down to the last couple of minutes.

They do not pass any sort of a look test. Judging by all the cramps (unless faked) they are not well conditioned, especially for a warm weather school.

Their plays lacked any originality.

There seemed to be no adjustment to offset our QB pressure.

Many of the above falls on the coach, plain and simple.

Now, I am not saying that a coach with Taggert's resume won't get it turned around, but based upon their expectations and the way the team looks to date - all criticism's are justified.

Absolutely. While watching College Football Scoreboard, one of the commentators gave Scott Frost a pass when Taggart inherited the SAME situation he did. Jimbo Fisher did not recruit the offensive line well for years and especially didn't in his last season when he had one foot out the door the entire time. Chip Kelly isn't getting this kind of heat either. It's like something that isn't football related is dictating the narrative.

Yea makes you wonder...

Be careful googling Mia K. ;)

Screenshot_2018-09-17 Mia K on Twitter.png

Nah, I wouldn't go that far. I've heard some bashing of Kelly, but I think A) it's how bad FSU has looked and noone was expecting it, B) FSU has been dramatically better than both UCLA and Nebraska the last 10 years or so with a National Championship 5 years ago, and B) FSU is considered a Blue Blood, neither UCLA nor Nebraska are in that bucket currently.

Nah, I wouldn't go that far. I've heard some bashing of Kelly, but I think A) it's how bad FSU has looked and noone was expecting it, B) FSU has been dramatically better than both UCLA and Nebraska the last 10 years or so with a National Championship 5 years ago, and B) FSU is considered a Blue Blood, neither UCLA nor Nebraska are in that bucket currently.

When charlie strong was hired at texas, a prominent booster said that he was maybe qualified to be a coordinator. Dont fool yourself.

Taggart's changing of the culture isn't for the light of heart. He won't even let the walk-ons dress for home games anymore.

He left a really good program with all the support one could ever want for FSU. It's on him if this backfires. he has only himself to blame. That said, he will be set financially regardless. Plenty of worse positions to be in. I am sure he feels more at home in Florida than he did in Eugene but you reap what you sow.

You wonder if he regrets leaving USF or Oregon more at this point

If I was wagering on Frost, Taggart and Kelly as to who will succeed and who wouldn't. Well I could debate Frost versus Kelly and I would probably go with Frost but Taggart would be such a distant 3rd it wouldn't even be worth discussing.

When charlie strong was hired at texas, a prominent booster said that he was maybe qualified to be a coordinator. Dont fool yourself.

This is exactly that same thing. I live in Florida now and this is exactly why it's such a thing. Taggart has made teams better everywhere he has ever been. It's not like he just forgot how to coach this month. People are so dumb that it hurts my brain.

This is exactly that same thing. I live in Florida now and this is exactly why it's such a thing. Taggart has made teams better everywhere he has ever been. It's not like he just forgot how to coach this month. People are so dumb that it hurts my brain.

Maybe not "dumb"; maybe more like unrealistic and impatient. And a bit of "dumb" mixed in for good measure.

He left a really good program with all the support one could ever want for FSU. It's on him if this backfires. he has only himself to blame. That said, he will be set financially regardless. Plenty of worse positions to be in. I am sure he feels more at home in Florida than he did in Eugene but you reap what you sow.

You wonder if he regrets leaving USF or Oregon more at this point

Can guarantee you that he doesn't regret either one whatsoever. He grew up in Bradenton and I'm sure dreamed of coaching at FLA, FSU or Miami and has now reached that goal. Just because there is a vocal group of idiots that don't actually understand how coaching/culture changes work doesn't mean he wishes he could go back to living in Eugene or playing second fiddle at USF.

FSU won a national title in 2014. They were in the CFB playoff in 2015. Their fans are not rational and to be honest if we had a coach lead us to the promise land and then start sinking the ship immediately, would our board give the new guy any passes for going toe to toe with Samford and losing to a talent-inferior- team like Rutgers or something?

I know it looks like Taggart is getting that other white coaches are not getting but it’s because FSU has higher expectations. Nebraska hasn’t been good in YEARS and UCLA has a similar story. I am sure there are fans calling for Chip Kelly and Frost’s scalps but we may not see it as much as they are not in the ACC. Also frost took a winless team to undefeated in 2 years - probably a longer leash (especially as an alum)

Somebody has to say it so I will...don't think the color of his skin doesn't have anything to do with it!

I really hope that FSU somehow scraps to 4 or 5 wins. I could easily see them panic and can Taggert after one year.... and bring in Dino.

Not so worried about either UCLA or Neb making knee jerk moves.

I could see Zona firing Sumlin after one year. Their boosters are a little nutty. Dino would flourish in Tucson.

They rarely take a recruit who is less than a four star, so they obviously have a very talented roster.

Now, it might be one thing for a team with that much talent to lose to a fellow ACC school such as us, but they are 1 & 2 with a weak early schedule. They barely beat Samford (not Stanford), that game coming down to the last couple of minutes.

They do not pass any sort of a look test. Judging by all the cramps (unless faked) they are not well conditioned, especially for a warm weather school.

Their plays lacked any originality.

There seemed to be no adjustment to offset our QB pressure.

Many of the above falls on the coach, plain and simple.

Now, I am not saying that a coach with Taggert's resume won't get it turned around, but based upon their expectations and the way the team looks to date - all criticism's are justified.

The record isn't the problem, it's more the eye test. But hell, it's not like we didn't get drubbed by BC under Jimbo in a game as easily as embarrassing as these.

As for the play calling...there's virtually nothing you can do with this line. You've seen the clips of our tackles I'm sure from your game, it's ludicrous. We have zero tackles...all our tackles are guards, and they're not an FBS caliber unit. There's just nothing there, for a lot of reasons...recruiting, attrition, development, injury. We had a play where we got called for holding on a bubble screen pitch out. What does that take...one second, one and a half seconds? We literally can't protect for two seconds...there's no play calling for that. Teams can rush four, drop seven, and get to the QB or the RB within two seconds...you can't scheme that.

Somehow, they've got to find a combination, and do enough between game coaching, to raise the level of the line to merely very bad, or there's not much you can do.